•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

THREEKOR 260

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

This one was called "3 Beach" by it's Japanese seller.  You won't get many search hits online unless you look for Threekor, however.  I found plenty of Japanese auctions for the 60mm as well as 40mm.   This 60mm is called the 260, due to the focal length.  Approximately f/4.3.

I posted my impressions on a few sky objects in the Finds thread, a quick summation is that I'm pleased and amazed that there isn't more color.  It's not obtrusive untill high powers are reached, then I noticed a red halo around bright features bordering on dark.  It excelled at deep-sky, especially once I stuck the 20mm Erfle on there.  

These were sold in kits much like the Tasco 9VR et al, and various other 60x300mm spotters.  My example as purchased is just the OTA, tube clamp ring, finder, thread-on Porro erector, H20mm eyepiece, dustcaps.

The good news is the objective is pristine, the focuser tight and smooth, cosmetics good to very good.  It accepts a Vixen 1.25" visual back.  Interestingly, the finder isn't just a sight tube, as I had thought I read on one of the Japanese websites, but a tiny Galilean-type refractor yielding about 2X and an erect image, in a tiny field of perhaps 2 degrees.  Good on bright objects and terrestrially in daylight only.  

014a.jpg

016a.jpg

• Mr Magoo, astro140, DreamWeaver and 9 others like this

#2 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

The eyepiece, appears brand-new, and with the Vixen visual back installed and erector removed.

015a.jpg

017a.jpg

• deepwoods1, Bomber Bob, walter a and 2 others like this

#3 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:51 PM

It really is a compact package. 

010b.jpg

009a.jpg

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#4 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Messenger

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

It's a gorgeous, hilariously overbuilt little scope. From that ad I linked you, it sounds like these were made by a smaller camera lens company branching out in the early days of the Halley craze. That would explain the components and accessories looking like a mix of suppliers, with some potentially original design. I wonder if it's using 1980 era exotic glass, to have the color correction you're describing.

#5 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:56 PM

For observing last weekend I had it mounted on the Manon 600 tripod, finder removed.

001a.jpg

002a.jpg

004a.jpg

006a.jpg

I want to revisit the winter Milky Way once the moon is out of the picture.  I'm also thinking of a night with this, the Towa 60x300, and Vixen Mini-60.  A shootout with derringer-caliber scopes.  ;)

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 4 others like this

#6 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:05 PM

It's a gorgeous, hilariously overbuilt little scope. From that ad I linked you, it sounds like these were made by a smaller camera lens company branching out in the early days of the Halley craze. That would explain the components and accessories looking like a mix of suppliers, with some potentially original design. I wonder if it's using 1980 era exotic glass, to have the color correction you're describing.

I need to evaluate it on a better night.  There was a patchy high cirrus that night but it was the only clearish night I've had in weeks.  But it did impress me.  It's about like a well made binocular.  With most eyepieces, the focal length is so short that the magnification just isn't very high.  You don't push it up to where the color starts to stand out.  It was also obvious that it wouldn't be a good planetary scope if Barlowed-up.  It's a spotter and mild telephoto, pretty much.  It's too cute, I have an urge to hang it from my rear-view mirror.  :lol:

• Mr Magoo, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#7 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:18 PM

Now you're talking crazy.........

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

Never saw one before.

#9 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

It's too cute, I have an urge to hang it from my rear-view mirror.”- C.H.

Or your Christmas tree next December! :gnome:

And yes it is very cute! :love:

• Mr Magoo and rcwolpert like this

#10 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

It's Tiny Scope Day here in Classics, so here is a comparison of the little 260 with the Towa T-300, and Vixen Mini 60s.

001.jpg

002.jpg

• davidmcgo, astro140, steve t and 6 others like this

#11 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

The little Threekor 40mm is Out For Delivery today.   With luck I might get pics up this weekend.

Glad this is coming from Japan.  I have a small parcel coming from China and it has been delayed due to virus quarantine, I'm guessing.  

• DreamWeaver, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#12 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

very nice little scope.  waytogo.gif

#13 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

How is the FC in this scope? I know anything faster than F/5.5 drives me nuts while sweeping. I guess it will vary by person.

#14 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

The little Threekor 40mm is Out For Delivery today.   With luck I might get pics up this weekend.

Glad this is coming from Japan.  I have a small parcel coming from China and it has been delayed due to virus quarantine, I'm guessing.  

I would be nervous getting anything from China these days. We were in a chinese restaurant and we were nervous when we started thinking about it. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#15 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Messenger

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

Here's Eikow's version in a little more useful focal length. Your 3B seems like a big step up in fit, finish, and accessory quality. 

https://www.ebay.com...00AAOSwcBpeP-TV

• Bomber Bob likes this

#16 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

Here's Eikow's version in a little more useful focal length. Your 3B seems like a big step up in fit, finish, and accessory quality. 

Looks like another Halley Craze spotter.  But, a rare one in the USA.

• Terra Nova likes this

#17 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

I wonder what this will do the the current dominance of the global telescope manufacturing market by China? Will the sources begin to dry up, because of the outbreak along with the tariffs. I would love to see a resurgence of telescope manufacturing here in the US, Japan, and elsewhere. I’m happy to pay more for quality products made here, and to buy second or third hand stuff. Maybe ATMing will increase as well. We Classics folk have a long history of re-use of older, quality instruments and accessories. That’s just about all I have, all my telescopes are non-China in origin and all are either pre-owned and re-used, ATM, or old and original and I’m quite happy about that. I am not intending this as a xenophobic statement, it isn’t, I’m just an old school proud owner of classics and I’m not wishing any country ill will, just pondering the future of things.

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

I would be nervous getting anything from China these days. We were in a chinese restaurant and we were nervous when we started thinking about it. 

I hope you didn’t order the bat soup! :lol:

#19 imgumby001

imgumby001

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

Wow! So cool! I had no idea there were such tiny, but useable, scopes out there.

#20 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:41 PM

I believe thats the same scope as Chucks yellow/orange Towa in post #10

• Chuck Hards likes this

#21 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

I believe thats the same scope as Chucks yellow/orange Towa in post #10

It does appear to be a clone.  If Eikow had a hand in the optics, it might help explain the perfect Ronchi pattern on the Towa T-300.

#22 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

Just had a little time with the little 40mm 220 late last night.  Wonderful, very wide field, very low power views.  I just looked at the moon and swept the Milky Way toward Orion, then the M42 region.  The entire middle of Orion is visible in the included K25mm eyepiece (Vixen). 

Unlike the optical finder on the 260, the 220 is just two steel needles at right-angles to each other, one in the rear of the tube, one in the front.  It works OK for bright objects or daylight objects only.  But it is just not needed at all with this scope, the main instrument is itself in the "finder" class.

Here is a shot from last night, only illuminuated by the full moon and Photoshopped all to heck.

220 002a.jpg

Here is a quck, hand-held shot of the M42 region, cropped and zoomed a bit but my hand was far from steady.  If I can find my cell phone bracket and wirelss shutter release, I bet I can get some terrific shots with this scope and no tracking.  But this gives you an idea of the huge actual field of view these short FL scopes give.

220 001.jpg

These will really come into their own when I've retired to the desert, and dark skies right outside the back door.  

• davidmcgo, DreamWeaver, deepwoods1 and 3 others like this

#23 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:43 PM

How is the FC in this scope? I know anything faster than F/5.5 drives me nuts while sweeping. I guess it will vary by person.

It also depends on the eyepiece.  Stay away from ultrawides and the curvature isn't noticeable.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics