•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any other GRT phenomena still awaiting confirmation?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:06 AM

Gravitational waves were confirmed in February 2016 and in Spring 2019 the first image of a black hole in M87, or rather it's surroundings, have been published. Are now all predictions of Einstein's general theory of relativity at least observed once or tested with these recent scientific advances? Or are there other predicted phenomena in his theory which still await the day of their observation?

#2 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:44 AM

Yesterday, I found this article https://www.discover...or-flaws-now-on . It is written that scientists assume that GRT has boundaries concerning it's ability to describe certain gravitational conditions, e.g. inside a black hole. Quantum mechanics is also talked about.

I wonder why scientists assume that there are limitations in Einstein's theory rather than in quantum mechanics? I was once told that Quantum electrodynamics is the most tested physical theory of all. Is that why GRT is more likely to have limitations?

Is there somewhere a chronological list of theories in descending order which is the most tested? Would be interesting to know about the combat of theories :) .

#3 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:48 PM

Yesterday, I found this article https://www.discover...or-flaws-now-on . It is written that scientists assume that GRT has boundaries concerning it's ability to describe certain gravitational conditions, e.g. inside a black hole. Quantum mechanics is also talked about.
I wonder why scientists assume that there are limitations in Einstein's theory rather than in quantum mechanics? I was once told that Quantum electrodynamics is the most tested physical theory of all. Is that why GRT is more likely to have limitations?
Is there somewhere a chronological list of theories in descending order which is the most tested? Would be interesting to know about the combat of theories :) .

Re GR vs QM, there are a few issues.

GR appears to break down at very small scales (eg singularities), which is precisely where we know QM works very well.

Even more specifically, you'd expect a quantum theory of gravity would naturally do away with singularities because it models things as waves with inherently uncertain position. There isn't really a corresponding way of solving QM's issues by making it more 'GR-like'.

Also, QM seems wider in scope, as it covers 3 forces. GR only treats gravity.

And, yes, QED is the best-tested theory we have. In fact it represents a successful fusion of QM with special relativity, which is another reason to think the eventual answer looks more like QM than GR.

Of course, until someone comes up with something that works and is testable, it's a bit up for grabs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics