•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First attempts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fdelconte10

fdelconte10

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

Hello everybody,

I am happy to share with you the results of my first stellar photographic shooting. This was done few days ago in the region of Algarve in Portugal. I've used a Mamiya RZ67 equipped with the 140mm macro lens and the Fuji Acros 100. The camera was attached to an EQ5 mount and manual guided. I attach the photo of Auriga (40 minutes of exposure). I've done nearly nothing of post production. I am not sure but I might have been in a zone 3 according to the light pollution map. While waiting to begin to work with a 4x5 camera I will try to increase the technique with medium format film.

I am new to this and the fact of recording the light that comes from so far away on my film is just an extraordinary feeling.

Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

All the best from Italy,

Francesco

Attached Thumbnails

• Auriga.jpg

• zjc26138, tuc, telesonic and 3 others like this

#2 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

Looks great! You should figure out what happened with the bottom side. Film curling is my guess. Perhaps the axis of the lens is not perpendicular to the film plane.

Edited by Michal1, 08 February 2020 - 02:20 PM.

#3 JoshBurke90

JoshBurke90

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

Very nice for a first time!

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:16 AM

Not bad for a first time..

Long exposures and medium format can tax you and your equipment

A 40 min exposure is a good test for your PA , guiding and the lens/scope of choice.

I would work on getting a good drift alignment to reduce the slight field rotation and stop down the lens more to reduce the distortions from center.

#5 fdelconte10

fdelconte10

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I add one photograph of Cassiopea, 15 minutes exposure done in the same days with the same settings.

I will definitely stop down the lens, that was wide open, and try a to make a drift alignment - I was not aware of it.

Can anyone recommend a link to a good tutorial or explanation of it?

Thanks again,

Francesco

Attached Thumbnails

• Cassiopea.jpg

• telesonic likes this

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

nice 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics