•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explorer Scientific Focuser quit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Myers

Ken Myers

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

My focuser for my explorer scientific ED127 quit working, it will not engage the gear strip at all. Any suggestions?

I have contacted Explorer Scientific service, but wanted to check to see if anyone has had this issue and can suggest solution.

Thanks

Ken

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Soyuz

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:13 PM

I'll bet that problem can be easily resolved by removing the 4 screws in the picture and finding a loose allen screw or two.

127 FOCUSER.jpg

#3 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:48 PM

I had the ES 6" F8 triplet. In that scope, the standard 3" focuser could get rotated so that a pinion gear no longer engaged with the gear strip.

So rotating could be your fix.

• Dynan likes this

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:48 AM

I haven't had one of these focusers, but I did look at some video of them.  I assume that the knobs turn freely but don't engage?  (If so, do you see the small knob turning evenly/smoothly 10 times for every rotation of the larger knob?  Sometimes two speed focusers can have problems with the relative adjustments of these that can cause grinding, lack of engagement between fine and coarse focus, and other problems.)   I also assume you have tried adjusting the top tension knobs and the bottom tension knob without getting it to engage.

If all of the above seems okay, then I would check those hex screws on the bottom to make sure they are evenly tightened.  If that does nothing, then t might be time to remove them and check the pinion gear below, to make sure it is seated properly.  I also saw a link to a problem with several ES scopes that had loose screws in the drawtube racks themselves.  That was allowing the rack to shift back and forth. 

#5 Dynan

Dynan

Soyuz

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

Did you repair it?

• tog likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics