•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Peter Wlasuk's "Observing the Moon"

observing moon imaging/sketching contest
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skyrambler

skyrambler

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

Hello smile.gif ,

I'm italian not very active on forums to say the truth, I have too many sons, pets and a wife to follow lol.gif

The moon took my attention very strongly in the recent times, so searching something on the web I found a nice book  edited by Springer in 2000 (not so vintage after all), used, in good conditions, for a few bucks only.

I recieved it this morning and found it very very interesting with dozens of sketches and useful observing tips, and I noticed that it is missing the CDRom, attached to the back cover, with lots of useful material. 
Does anyone have the CDRom o the files saved on his pc, and can share them with me?

Clear and dark skies

Paolo

Edited by skyrambler, 10 February 2020 - 12:20 PM.

#2 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

Hi Paolo,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! 

Apologies for not answering your question specifically as I'm not familiar with the book, but just in case you don't manage to get the s/w, as free alternatives, you may consider the very detailed Isabel Williamson Lunar Observing Program guide published by RASC (main page, direct PDF link) as well as the Virtual Moon Atlas software. I've used both many times and given that the software is more recent, you may find it a better experience. From what I gathered from the Amazon reviews of that book, the CDROM contained some images and PDFs - Virtual Moon Atlas will give you a lot more.

Hope this helps and I hope you don't mind I suggested these other sources.

Razvan

• Cyrano, Carl Kolchak, okiestarman56 and 2 others like this

#3 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

Welcome, Paolo.

I have a copy of this books and consider it to be a good resource for someone getting into lunar observing. Regarding the disc, I wouldn't go to a great deal of trouble trying to obtain the contents. As I recall (I no longer seem to have the disc) the atlas is a collection of small, poor quality images, and much of the rest of the included material duplicates things found in the book. You can find better images of lunar features online, including the Lunar Observing and the Solar System Imaging & Processing sections of Cloudy Night. You have the really valuable part - the book. You're not missing anything of consequence. cool.gif

• Carl Kolchak and skyrambler like this

#4 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:34 PM

Hi Paolo

The CD has some observing forms from ALPO which you can seen on pages 170-176. They can be found here: ALPO Section Publications\LunarObservingForms - All.pdf

The images on the CD are small tif files. There is a list in the book, 180-181. As Thomas mentioned above the real value is the book itself.

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, Paolo.

• desertstars and skyrambler like this

#5 skyrambler

skyrambler

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

Thank you all, you have been more than exhaustive! wavey.gif  

• desertstars likes this

#6 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:19 PM

Peter was a personal friend of mine.  He passed away about 20 years ago (WAY too early).  I was so lucky to have observed with him out in Everglades one Winter night.  Great guy and very much missed.

• desertstars, Carl Kolchak and ianatcn like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, moon, imaging/sketching contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics