•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scopes to totaly binocular viewing

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

Hi

Age makes you wonder about many things, many of them not about astronomy, but a lot of things that are about viewing. Have any of you gone from telescope viewing to using ONLY binoculars, not only because of the light weight, and the way you can just walk outside and start looking up, but also how it makes it easier on your eyes using both eyes. I guess it could be a nice change, especially if you have observed the planets and high power all these years, it could be nice just looking at greater swaths of the sky in a different kind of beauty.

Billy

• gene 4181 and 25585 like this

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

Maybe but not to me. There is binocular viewing and there is telescope binoviewer viewing. Basically the same effect to your eyes. Everything else being equal your eyes will prefer both eye viewing to one eye viewing every time. As for the weight my main pair of binoculars is a pair of old Vixen 11x80s. The lower power enables me to hand hold them or alternately lay on the ground or a lounger and use them with my elbows propped on my chest. But even at 72 I won't give up the telescopes to only use binoculars.

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:51 PM

I still use many scopes, but I do like binocular viewing for the immediacy and absence of set up time.  Often the weather will clear for an hour or two, and a major scope set up (and cool down) does not seem an efficient use of time.  Or sometimes one is just too busy or tired for an extended observing session.  At times like these binos are an excellent option.

• Jon Isaacs, hallelujah, blange3 and 1 other like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:32 PM

I still use many scopes, but I do like binocular viewing for the immediacy and absence of set up time.  Often the weather will clear for an hour or two, and a major scope set up (and cool down) does not seem an efficient use of time.  Or sometimes one is just too busy or tired for an extended observing session.  At times like these binos are an excellent option.

I have a couple of 80mm ED scopes that I use for those quick sessions.  

But some nights, I will just grab a pair of binoculars, put a chair out in the backyard and just peacefully enjoy the night sky.  

I have a number of binoculars so what generally happens is that 15 or 20 minutes into this peaceful journey, I decide I would like to compare the current pair with another pair. I just grab a patio chair and it's on one side to I store the binos I am not using... Another 10 minutes and I decide to try another pair for comparison.  

It continues.  At some point, there's a second chair on the other side and 7 or 8 binoculars in the rotation. 

I like binoculars, I like older binos and newer binos.  Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on whether it my point of view or my wifes), Jack (Foss) lives about 10 minutes from me.  Jack often has classic binos for sale at very reasonable prices... 

Jon

• Howard Lester, Corcaroli78, SMark and 2 others like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:38 PM

Actually, Yes, that's substantially true for me --- I pretty much abandoned regular monocular telescopes in favor of binoculars. Thing is, I didn't want to give up those things that require aperture and magnification... what to do, what to do... So I bought and used 7x50 binos, and then gradually filled in smaller and larger ones:

Vixen 2.1x42 (effectively 2.1x13) constellation binos

Zeiss 8x20 pocket binos

Zeiss 10x25 pocket binos

Zeiss 7x42 handheld binos

Zeiss 20x60 handheld binos

APM 100mm ED APO binos

JMI 150mm True Binoscope

JMI 400mm True Binoscope

Night Vision 1x True binos

Night Vision 3x True binos

The only regular telescopes that I kept are a 4-inch refractor and a 36-inch reflector. And I got a Binoviewer to use on those, with pairs of eyepieces, including a Night Vision pair!

Ehhh... I don't think I need anything else...    Tom

• Corcaroli78, oldmanrick and j.gardavsky like this

#6 John F

John F

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

I first got seriously into binocular observing back in the years 1992-1993 and I had acquired enough pairs of binoculars by then that I could easily spend several hours per night observing with them.  And yes I much preferred observing with binoculars than with my

telescope.  At that time I was also considering selling my telescope and using the money from that to help fund the cost of acquiring a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 40x80 Aspectem binoculars.  However, I just couldn't reconcile myself to the idea of no longer having telescope because of the good things it could do for me that my binoculars couldn't so I decided to keep my telescope and pass on getting the pair of 40x80 binoculars.  In the 27 years since then I've never regretted having made that decision.

Two years ago I turned 70 and decided it was time for me to downsize my telescope, mount and eyepiece set and since then I've also not regretted having made that decision.  I still use my telescope a lot for observing the moon and planets from my backyard and I also take it with me when I drive out to dark sky sites to do deep sky observing.  The telescope very nicely compliments my binoculars because between its larger aperture and higher power capabilities and it show many individual deep sky objects much better than my binoculars can.  On average I probably spend about 60% of my time observing with binoculars (when I'm at a dark sky site) and 40% of my time using the telescope.  

That combo just works so well for me that I know that I could never be satisfied if I could only observe with just my binoculars and not also with my telescope or vice versa.  Lastly, for some binocular observers who may have larger scopes now that they now find to be burdensome, consider downsizing your telescope.  If you have one that is smaller, lighter and easier to store, transport, setup and take down then it becomes more like your binoculars.  That is, easy to use (while also providing some very useful capabilities that binoculars can't match). 

John Finnan

• Jon Isaacs, Corcaroli78, Cali and 1 other like this

#7 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

I always use binoculars, if telescope needed, binocular telescope.
  • TOMDEY and j.gardavsky like this

#8 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:30 AM

Yes, I did.

Jochen

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#9 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:47 AM

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but back around 1965, my ( now lifelong ) passion for long distance daytime terrestrial viewing led to me convincing myself it was a spotting scope that I needed.

After a few weeks of use, the 35x60 straight - through drawtube scope which I'd been pestering my parents for proved to be an exercise in frustration more than pleasure.

My dissatisfaction was a result of the insufficient quality of the scope as much as anything else.

My dad persuaded me I'd be much better off with 10x50 binoculars, and somewhow managed to convince the mail order company that the scope was defective and if I remember correctly, arranged a part exchange arrangement involving a relatively small amount of cash plus scope for the brand new 10x50 Telstar binoculars.

The transformation was instantly gratifying and in spite of it's relatively modest quality, narrow 5 degree TFOV and short eye relief, that clunky 10x50 served me well for around 30 years.

Kenny

• plyscope, John Gauvreau, WALL.E and 1 other like this

#10 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

Yes,

I am moving into the direction to be more binocular observer than mono-observer.  As today, i observe 80% of my time with binoculars of several apertures, mostly hand held and only the 15x70 mounted on tripod. 

There is some learning (and fun) on comparing the views of the same object through the different binoculars defining the minimum aperture for resolving the objects. 

On the other side, as my eyes are not from the best batch, i am seriously considering to buy an affordable binoviewer for testing in my two current scopes, the main reason is to get relaxed views.   

Carlos

• ArsMachina and j.gardavsky like this

#11 Cestus

Cestus

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

I thought hard about a telescope, but decided to go with binoculars first. I don't rule out ever getting a nice small telescope, but right now I am very satisfied with just sticking with binoculars. My 20x80's do a fine job. I've learned a lot about navigating the night sky. The other night I looked at the nearly full moon and got stunning views. So I'm pretty satisfied with binoculars.

• deepwoods1, fingerguns and jaraxx like this

#12 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

Age,the lack of ability to handle the cold weather and the ever increasing light pollution means that I use binos instead of a scope at a ratio of around 10 to 1,watching.gif  D

• John Gauvreau, grif 678 and gene 4181 like this

#13 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:59 PM

Of course, here... binocular forum... we're pretty much preaching to the choir!

~ click on ~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 135.1 western saloon bar old.jpg

• paulsky, orionic and j.gardavsky like this

#14 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM

Age,the lack of ability to handle the cold weather and the ever increasing light pollution means that I use binos instead of a scope at a ratio of around 10 to 1,watching.gif  D

I know what you mean, I think about everyone ill get to that point, if they live long enough.

#15 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

As I've said before, two eyed vision defects, including inevitable effects of aging , can be minimized by the brain recreating the visual field from the information combined by both retinas.

gramps.gif

• Binojunky, SMark and oldmanrick like this

#16 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:20 PM

Provided 1. they are excellent top-tier binoculars 2. I can’t use the scopes anymore 3. The key as the OP stated is looking at the sky , not just objects.

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:57 PM

Provided 1. they are excellent top-tier binoculars 2. I can’t use the scopes anymore 3. The key as the OP stated is looking at the sky , not just objects.

Telescopes can be quite effective for looking at the more than just objects.  Binoculars tend to be limited by the need for eyepieces to be side by side.  Here's 50 mm that does ~10° at 10x with a 5.3 mm exit pupil.

50mm with 2 inch diagonal.jpg

I use telescopes and binos for viewing the night sky in large chunks and telescopes for smaller chunks.  I'm almost 72, three years ago I downsized my largest scope from a 25 inch F/5 to a 22 inch F/4.4.  It was a good move.

Jon

#18 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:22 PM

Here's 50 mm that does ~10° at 10x with a 5.3 mm exit pupil.

Jon

I'm curious what makes a 10x50 with 10° fov?

#19 jaraxx

jaraxx

Messenger

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:35 PM

No, but its safe to say I use binoculars on many more occasions. I use binoculars morning, evening and night. I generally use a scope to look at the night sky a few times a month, when my life, the stars and the clouds all align. My binoculars won't do what the scope will. But I use binoculars to look at birds in the yard and phenom in the sky, in the construction of interesting landscapes, bringing bugs up close - you name it and I look at it thru binoculars. 

Last week I watched four coyotes leisurely hunt for mice in a field thru binoculars. (Too bad I didn't have a scope set up.)

• gene 4181 likes this

#20 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:27 AM

Yes,

I am moving into the direction to be more binocular observer than mono-observer.  As today, i observe 80% of my time with binoculars of several apertures, mostly hand held and only the 15x70 mounted on tripod. 

There is some learning (and fun) on comparing the views of the same object through the different binoculars defining the minimum aperture for resolving the objects. 

On the other side, as my eyes are not from the best batch, i am seriously considering to buy an affordable binoviewer for testing in my two current scopes, the main reason is to get relaxed views.   

Carlos

Since after a mile, what comes in both barrels is practically identical,

the binoviewer works and still gives you the signal processing

where defects in one eye lose out to the other eyes (ie, floaters, cornea dust, etc).

A little catch though: tho get the same brightness as the binoculars,

you do need a bigger objective.  ~40% more diameter.

That can close the gap in price towards the binoculars..

Edited by MartinPond, 12 February 2020 - 12:29 AM.

#21 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:36 AM

Now your splitting dream comes true.

https://www.makuake....ect/pentax3way/

• WWTech and j.gardavsky like this

#22 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:42 AM

Now your splitting dream comes true.

https://www.makuake....ect/pentax3way/

Wow...2 monoculars, or even the two in series!

For that to work you'd need extra resolution.

I like the guy's crumpled trench-coat...

...heh....could be Rick Astley, or a detective, or a stalker..

or all 3 in one.

#23 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

I don't think that I could see enough to be satisfied with binos only. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#24 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:48 AM

I don't think that I could see enough to be satisfied with binos only. 

Many of us have been very satisfied, for many years, with binoculars only. watching.gif

Stan

• Corcaroli78, Binojunky, SMark and 3 others like this

#25 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

Neck comfort keeps me liking telescopes, not having to look up. Down into a Newt or diagonal is painless by comparison. 

But I do like wide field views. My first refractor was & is a 500mm, first eyepiece a 32mm Erfle. They will be the last as well I expect, peaches & cream - maybe a Barlow too.

I have a bino viewer to use if wanted.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics