•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto Optical Coelstat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

I was chatting with Larry Webster from Mt. Wilson this evening and the conversation reminded me of this thread from 8 years ago.  Larry now has the Goto Optical Coelstat, but when I got this, I just thought it was one of the coolest items I had ever acquired.  Reposting here for the folks who joined CN Classic Scopes since 2012.

https://www.cloudyni...ical-coelostat/

Steve

• pbealo, deepwoods1, Chuck Hards and 3 others like this

#2 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:07 PM

That is cool!

I absolutely love the Hooker telescope and all those rivets.

Before arc welding I suppose.

At least before arc welding could be trusted!

Robert 

• Steve_M_M likes this

#3 dave brock

dave brock

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:31 AM

And yet another thread that shows an instrument but stops without describing the views 

through it.frown.gif 

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

We had a complete Goto 76mm Coelostat at San Bernardino Valley College in the Department of Physics and Astronomy back in the 1970s. It was a very cool instrument and my first introduction to fine Goto optics. I imagine it’s still there.

• Steve_M_M likes this

#5 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:54 AM

That is a great find bow.gif bow.gif

• Steve_M_M likes this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

And yet another thread that shows an instrument but stops without describing the views 

through it.frown.gif

The views are quite nice once everything is calibrated which is not a simple task. All the work is done by the tracking mirror and it has to keep the sun in a very narrow field. As I remember it, ours was equipped with an H-alpha rear etalon and front ERF made by Del Woods. I think it was tuned somewhere between 0.9 and 1.5Å  and it showed wonderful views of prominences along the limb. We also used it for white light views of sunspots. They later got a Calcium K-line filter but it mainly just showed a very dim purple orb visually. The proms were what knocked everybody’s sox off tho! H-alpha was relatively scarce back then unless you were a bigger institution or had really deep pockets. The beauty of these these things is that the tube is stationary. The last time I saw it mush have been around 1990.

Edited by Terra Nova, 12 February 2020 - 10:29 AM.

• steve t likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics