•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

4" f/7 FPL-53+La Doublets (ZS103/SV102A/TS 102) Owners--Visual, Imaging, or Both?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

The 4" f/7 FPL-53 + Lanthanum doublets (WO Zenithstar 103, Stellarvue Access 102, TS Photoline 102 f/7, Altair Starwave 102ED-R) are praised by many visual observers.

What about the imagers out there, especially those doing OSC astro cameras and DSLRs?   How many of you use these for double visual/imaging duty?  Or do most just use it for visual?

Just curious.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:34 PM

I expect that they are very much a dual purpose scope and so used for both visual and imaging.

The ED are very good and often more then adaquate for imaging. The main aspect is that the user understands that there may be some CA on objects.

Something like M81, 82 and M101 and M33 and Rosette Nebula will all be fine as they are not singularily bright. Whereas the Horsehead with Alnitak is likely to show some CA.

The makers put APO on the front of ED doublets and they put APO on higher quality triplets. People read as far as "APO" and expect the same performance from both and expect the higher performance.

If you read the specification of most ED doublets somewhere in there it will say "Virtually eliminates CA" or very similar.

There are lots of good, very good, images from ED doublets. I suppose the factor is the margin of safety and by rights you should be safer with a good triplet. However they cost and these days a good (has to be good) ED doublet gets very close.

People use everyday achro's for some imaging, and again why not as long as the limitations are understood.

#3 cst4

cst4

Mariner 2

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

I went with a 102ED FPL51 doublet that was in the classifieds last summer while the SV 102 Access was on sale.  The 102ED is great visually, but does have hints of false color on many bright targets especially Jupiter and the moon and if you attempt AP with it then expect red stars.  While trying to decide if I wanted to spend more on the Access to achieve better color correction, I read many reviews and looked at photographs taken with the 102 Access.  The photo examples I looked at were great.  I suspect most everyone using these types of FPL53 doublets are quite satisfied with their photographic performance.  And from what I read everyone using them visually are very pleased.  I absolutely love my 102ED and the price was more my level, but sometimes I do wish I had splurged and went with the Access... It would have provided better views of Jupiter and I realize now I might like to dabble in AP eventually but the 102ED is not quite the scope for that.

Edited by cst4, 11 February 2020 - 02:53 PM.

#4 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Sorry Phil, visual only (SV102A, original FPL-53 version). 

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

Different brand, but Vixen makes a .67 reducer and recently redesigned their baffles to make sure full frame cameras won’t vignette. Clearly they can be used for imaging even though they are doublets. Many people image with 80mm ED doublets. As said, your images may not be completely free of CA. But certainly they can be used for imaging effectively. It might just require a little post processing, depending on the target.

Scott

#6 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

I went with a 102ED FPL51 doublet that was in the classifieds last summer while the SV 102 Access was on sale.  The 102ED is great visually, but does have hints of false color on many bright targets especially Jupiter and the moon and if you attempt AP with it then expect red stars.  While trying to decide if I wanted to spend more on the Access to achieve better color correction, I read many reviews and looked at photographs taken with the 102 Access.  The photo examples I looked at were great.  I suspect most everyone using these types of FPL53 doublets are quite satisfied with their photographic performance.  And from what I read everyone using them visually are very pleased.  I absolutely love my 102ED and the price was more my level, but sometimes I do wish I had splurged and went with the Access... It would have provided better views of Jupiter and I realize now I might like to dabble in AP eventually but the 102ED is not quite the scope for that.

I have seen a few photos people have done with the AT102ED.  Definite CA in images, and not something I'd seriously entertain for photography.  For learning the ropes of astrophotography, though, quite doable, and good enough visually for most observers.

The separation between f/7 doublets of FPL-51 and FPL-53 is sizable as is, but the latter also having a mating lanthanum element definitely widens it further.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#7 cst4

cst4

Mariner 2

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

good enough visually for most observers.

Yeh good enough visually was all I was aiming for when I settled on a 102ED... In hindsight I wish I had aimed higher and gotten the Access which is often considered good enough photographically.  Honestly though to my untrained eye, I cannot see any difference in the photo examples I saw from the Access and those from much more expensive triplets.

#8 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:04 PM

I have the TS version of the Access. Indeed for AP i can’t find any color. Visually alsonone. It us a very versatile scope. A great scope imho...

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:49 PM

I have the ZS 103, used nearly exclusively for imaging. I’ve only had it since late December, but the targets done so far look great, with less blue fringing (but there is a little, very little) than my former ZS61, which was also very good.

That said, it’s got a bit more fringing than my GT71 (which has essentially none) triplet. You can tell it’s not a triplet. 

It is a darn fine doublet smile.gif

Edited by OldManSky, 14 February 2020 - 08:51 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics