•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Monolux 4380 RAO where to find a few parts

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bagwell

Bagwell

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

Hi, I recently acquired a Monolux 4380 RAO made 60mm diameter and 910mm focal length scope and it is missing a few parts.  I would love to find a few things for the mount and scope.   It is in pretty good shape though the wooden legs need refinishing as many scopes of this age do and it is missing the finder scope and adjustment screws but has the finder bracket.  I can get a right angle finder for it, but might be nice to have something fairly close to at least the look of the original.  I also would like to find the arm for the RA lock.  If someone has an exploded  parts layout of the mount and specifically the assemblies for both RA and Dec that would be nice as I think someone has had it apart in the past and it could use a going through.  I have 4 eyepieces and a moon filter as well as the sun projection assembly and wood box.  The erect image diagonal is broken and I think the barlow is missing if I remember correctly.  There are cotter pins in the stretchers for the tripod where they connect to the legs.  im not sure what would be best to replace them with.   I didnt find a good thread on this scope when searching the forums that showed good repairs and replacements for things on this scope, so I thought I would start a thread and ask.  

Thanks, 
Vaughn

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

• Loc: 76707

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:14 PM

Sounds awesome.  Photos please. 

• Bagwell likes this

#3 Pete W

Pete W

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

Vaughn, dunno it this link will help you...I had my Monolux 4380 mount apart.

https://www.cloudyni...-monolux-scope/

I replaced the cotter pins on the tripod spreader tabs with #6 bolts; definitely tightened them up.

Edited by Pete W, 11 February 2020 - 10:19 PM.

• Bomber Bob and Bagwell like this

#4 Bagwell

Bagwell

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:28 PM

Thanks Pete, that gives me some reference at least.   I have an extra clutch disk in the box that was just loose in the box and some of the tolerances are not as tight as I think they should have been originally.  I need to pull it all apart and clean up some threads, replace at least one slotted set screw with an allen set screw and find where the clutch material goes back in there.  One setting circle is also loose and may need some kind of spacer or something.  

Russell, I should have some pictures up soon.  

#5 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

Vaughn

I had  a 1958 monolux  that I eventually gave to a newbie...…..

The thing is that someone had already converted it to 1.25 eyepieces...

I think I still have some of the monolux .965 gray parts like the vb  and perhaps the diagonal and maybe the terrestrial corrected prism and stuff?

I'll dig through my parts containers and get back to you 

EDIT     Having just read through the old thread from Peter    I noticed around post 18 and 19  they are talking about the vixen screw on adapter  for 1.25 conversion which is  a no brainer.

I just got one for 14 dollars   and it screwed right on my 60 mm Mayflower  probably will not be using the original .965's

I would still be happy to send these old parts along to you as they need to be united with the right scope....

Barry

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 13 February 2020 - 12:33 PM.

• Bagwell likes this

#6 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

One setting circle is also loose and may need some kind of spacer or something.  

Isn't the RA circle supposed to be loose?

#7 CharlieB

CharlieB

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:14 PM

The RA circle needs to be loose, as where the RA coordinate is in the sky changes over time.  You have to be able to reset the RA circle.  If it's too loose, you might have to shim it just a tad.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#8 Bagwell

Bagwell

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies folks.  Im still working on getting pictures posted here.  The setting circle in question is way too lose to really stay put when you adjust it.  I think it is missing a spacer or maybe a friction fit of some kind is messed up.  I need to look further though.  I would love to find a break down of the parts in the mount so I could verify everything is in its proper place as far as clutches and the like.   I have not messed with the mount a lot since I last posted but most likely will have some time this weekend if I get the other things around here done.  

Barry, I have a vixen vb that I am going to use and the scope did come with the 965 vb so I am good there.   The main things I am looking for are the arms that screw into the RA and Dec bolts that secure the position of that axis and one arm for the az position on the base to adjust it. I am also missing a finder and the screws and lock nuts to adjust the finder position.   I have 4 965 eyepieces and a few other parts I need to help identify that they even go with this scope or mount.    I will get some pictures up this weekend.  

Thanks, 
Vaughn

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#9 Pete W

Pete W

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

The RA circle on mine is held by three metal tabs that ride on the inside of the circle:

https://www.cloudyni...1537122143.jpeg

They can be gently bent to adjust friction.  Hopefully an easy adjustment will solve your issue.

• Bagwell likes this

#10 Bagwell

Bagwell

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

The RA circle on mine is held by three metal tabs that ride on the inside of the circle:

https://www.cloudyni...1537122143.jpeg

They can be gently bent to adjust friction.  Hopefully an easy adjustment will solve your issue.

Interesting, mine looks different and has lighter duty setting circle build.  My mount seems slightly lighter built than yours.  Maybe yours is a different maker than mine.  Mine is an Royal Astro built model.  I really need to get some good pictures and post them here so we can go apples to apples.  :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics