•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 11 GPS tracks great for about 10 mins then..

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

Seems you at least have a good working mount at this point.   I must confess though that I have lost track of what you have in place now.  So, I do know your PC Port is bad and you cannot connect that way.  I don't know all of the versions you have at your disposal though.  Please clarify:

- what version is currently running on your MC board (I think 4.06)

- what versions of hand controls do you have

- what combinations are currently working and what combinations are not

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#52 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:36 PM

Yes it appears to be working well for the last two hours.

My MC is now at 4.06.

The HC is at 1.2

I tried to get the nexremote to simulate 2.2. It mostly works. If I hold the direction buttons down for maybe more than 4 seconds, I get either error 16 or 17. I believe one is Alt motor and one is Azm motor is not responding.

I have not had errors on my HC 1.2.

I tried my Nexstar plus 4.6 (I’m not sure the version) HC from my Nexstar 4SE and it too has similar errors as the Nexremote 2.2 (as above). I also tried nexremote 4.6 (I’m not sure the version) it also had similar errors.

Thank you again.

#53 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 12:28 AM

Okay, so you are using NexRemote via a connection to the bottom of the NexStar+ hand control, correct?  As I note in this article at my website:

https://www.nexstars...xStarGPSFix.htm

(reachable via the NexStar+ article and the upgrade article) no response errors are a known issue when the NexStar+ hand control has newer firmware.  That would probably also be the case when using NexRemote via the NexStar+ hand control.

So, start with the regular NexStar+ upgrade instructions I have here:

https://www.nexstars...NexStarPlus.htm

but prior to actually performing the update on the HC, go back to:

and follow those directions to load version 5.22.3280.  That should eliminate the no response errors, both when using the hand control itself or when using NexRemote connected via the hand control.

The only caveat is that this older version does not have the fix for the GPS rollover issue:

https://www.nexstars...GPSRollover.htm

It is possible your original equipment NexStar GPS mount does not have that issue.  If not, then you should be all set.  If your mount does set the date 19.7 years in the past after a GPS link, then the best bet is to keep looking for a version 4 hand control as that does fix the GPS issue (when loaded with version 4.22 firmware).  Or as long as the no response errors are gone, you could use version 4.22 inside of NexRemote.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#54 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 12:30 AM

One last thing - you can check the version number on your NexStar+ hand control first by pressing Menu, going to Utilities and selecting Version.  Might be a good idea to do that and report back here first.

#55 12Bass

12Bass

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 12:40 AM

For some reason, the MC flash using a universal programmer is not correct.  As such, I recommend using Celestron's MCupdate to reflash MC4.06 via RS-232 (HC cable will work).  Not sure, but this might fix the existing MC issue.

#56 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Okay, so you are using NexRemote via a connection to the bottom of the NexStar+ hand control, correct?  As I note in this article at my website:

(reachable via the NexStar+ article and the upgrade article) no response errors are a known issue when the NexStar+ hand control has newer firmware.  That would probably also be the case when using NexRemote via the NexStar+ hand control.

No. I am using the NexRemote connected to the bottom of my NexStar (not plus) hand control.  I get these errors with the MC 4.06.

The only caveat is that this older version does not have the fix for the GPS rollover issue:

https://www.nexstars...GPSRollover.htm

It is possible your original equipment NexStar GPS mount does not have that issue.  If not, then you should be all set.  If your mount does set the date 19.7 years in the past after a GPS link, then the best bet is to keep looking for a version 4 hand control as that does fix the GPS issue (when loaded with version 4.22 firmware).  Or as long as the no response errors are gone, you could use version 4.22 inside of NexRemote.

I can not get my GPS to connect to a satellite before.  I haven't tried TOO hard with the new MC firmware.  I didn't think the new MC firmware would impact the GPS.  I will try it tonight.

#57 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:24 PM

For some reason, the MC flash using a universal programmer is not correct.  As such, I recommend using Celestron's MCupdate to reflash MC4.06 via RS-232 (HC cable will work).  Not sure, but this might fix the existing MC issue.

I read that in the other thread.  The other thread seemed to indicate how the MC didn't work at all, but they could then flash it through the cable.  Then it all worked.  

I was not able to get the Celestron flash program to recognize the connectivity on my HC 1.2.  

I will try again tonight.

#58 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Nick, You cannot use the MCUpdate utility to flash the motor controllers going through the v1.2 hand controller. That capability only exists when you have a v4 or v5 hand controller (either a physical one or NexRemote) running v4.13 or higher firmware. When using a lower level hand controller the only ways to reflash the motor controller are to use programmer (the method you originally used) or to use the MCupdate utility but connected through the PC Port.

Edited by mclewis1, Yesterday, 06:36 PM.

• NickInSac likes this

#59 12Bass

12Bass

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 PM

I read that in the other thread.  The other thread seemed to indicate how the MC didn't work at all, but they could then flash it through the cable.  Then it all worked.  

I was not able to get the Celestron flash program to recognize the connectivity on my HC 1.2.  

I will try again tonight.

Using the latest flashing instructions, the motor controller will work after using a programmer to update to MC4.06 ; however, some of the data will be corrupted (MCupdate will show this if you run a test).  Re-flashing using MCupdate will correct this, making it 100%. 

I thought that I was able to used HC1.6/2.2 with MCupdate.  If not, I'm fairly certain that the original GPS hand control will work with MCupdate if flashed with NXS4.22; basically, the flash makes an original GPS HC become a fully functional v4 handset, except that it does not support HC firmware updates via the serial port due to slight hardware differences.  MC updates should work.

#60 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:24 PM

Using the latest flashing instructions, the motor controller will work after using a programmer to update to MC4.06 ; however, some of the data will be corrupted (MCupdate will show this if you run a test).  Re-flashing using MCupdate will correct this, making it 100%. 

I thought that I was able to used HC1.6/2.2 with MCupdate.  If not, I'm fairly certain that the original GPS hand control will work with MCupdate if flashed with NXS4.22; basically, the flash makes an original GPS HC become a fully functional v4 handset, except that it does not support HC firmware updates via the serial port due to slight hardware differences.  MC updates should work.

I can not get MCupdate or HCupdate to run on my Windows 10 machine.  I have used Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM).  

I will try some of the suggestions I found why MCupdate and HCupdate didn't work for others.

I get the error: ERROR

Celestron MCupdate (2.2.5) is not allowed to run on Win (6.2)

Setup Aborted

#61 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 PM

Hi Nick,

First off, I'm very surprised NexRemote works at all (moves the scope, aligns, etc.) when connected via the port on the bottom of your version 1.2 hand control.  Are you 100% sure it is version 1.2?  Have you checked on the MENU button, Utilities menu for a Version item?  If there is no Version item on the Utilities menu then you do probably have version 1.2 and as 12Bass explains in his post about the PIC programmer, you can update it to the latest version 4.22 (which would be a great option).

Next, please connect your NexStar+ HC to your NexStar GPS mount and report back on the versions (same menu path as above).

Next, with MCupdate/HCupdate, after downloading, did the installation work without error and they have shown up on the Windows Start Menu?  If so, open the Windows File Explorer, open Drive C, open "Program Files(x86)", then Celestron, then MCupdate.  In that folder, right-click MCpdate and select "Troubleshoot compatibility".  Click the option to "Troubleshoot program" and then check the first box about worked in earlier versions.  Select Windows 7 from the list and proceed through to see if that helps.  This same method can be used on the actual install program as well (which may be where you are stuck).

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#62 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Hi Nick,

First off, I'm very surprised NexRemote works at all (moves the scope, aligns, etc.) when connected via the port on the bottom of your version 1.2 hand control.  Are you 100% sure it is version 1.2?  Have you checked on the MENU button, Utilities menu for a Version item?  If there is no Version item on the Utilities menu then you do probably have version 1.2 and as 12Bass explains in his post about the PIC programmer, you can update it to the latest version 4.22 (which would be a great option).

Next, please connect your NexStar+ HC to your NexStar GPS mount and report back on the versions (same menu path as above).

Hi Michael,

Yep, you and I have been through this before too...

Nexstar:

sml_gallery_314555_12281_325622.jpg

Nexstar Plus

sml_gallery_314555_12281_394963.jpg

Edited by NickInSac, Yesterday, 10:08 PM.

#63 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Maybe I should have done them as thumbnails.  

#64 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

Next, with MCupdate/HCupdate, after downloading, did the installation work without error and they have shown up on the Windows Start Menu?  If so, open the Windows File Explorer, open Drive C, open "Program Files(x86)", then Celestron, then MCupdate.  In that folder, right-click MCpdate and select "Troubleshoot compatibility".  Click the option to "Troubleshoot program" and then check the first box about worked in earlier versions.  Select Windows 7 from the list and proceed through to see if that helps.  This same method can be used on the actual install program as well (which may be where you are stuck).

Hi Michael,

I don't have the MCupdate folder.

I did get the MCupdate.exe.  This tries to do an install, just before the install finishes I get the error.

Same issue with HCupdate.exe

ERROR

Celestron MCupdate (2.2.5) is not allowed to run on Win (6.2)

Setup Aborted

I am trying to run the MCupdate in compatibility mode now for Windows 7.

This worked for the install and the program run.

It ran and found the MC board but says it can't do the flash because the HC needs to be updated.

I will try the HCupdate now.

The HCupdate runs.  It does not seem to connect to the HC.  The instructions say to hold down the Info and the Undo button at power on.  This has no impact to the HC except to show RA for Archenar.  I get this if I press the Info button after power up. 

Thank you for your help!

Edited by NickInSac, Yesterday, 10:25 PM.

#65 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Maybe i can flash the MC with the CFM using the Nexstar plus???

I'm going to see if the CFM will find both...

The CFM seems to only have found the Nexstar Plus HC.

Edited by NickInSac, Yesterday, 10:13 PM.

#66 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM

TIME OUT - Do not attempt to update the MC when connected to the NexStar+ HC.  The current version of NexStar+ firmware has broken MCupdate support and will brick (break) the MC and force you to go back to the PIC programmer to reload 4.06.

Edited by Michael_Swanson, Yesterday, 11:40 PM.

#67 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 11:40 PM

Okay, there are three options at this point:

1) Use your PIC programmer to load the 4.22 firmware on the chips in your version 1.2 HC.  After that, you will have a fully functional version 4.22.  With that, you can connect via this HC and use MCupdate to load version 4.06 on the MC board as 12Bass suggested.  Instructions for using the PIC programmer to load 4.22 on your HC's chips are in that same message that explained using the PIC programmer to load the MC.

2) Look for a used version 4 hand control.  Once you have it, load 4.22 on it (if it doesn't have it already) and then you can connect via that HC and use MCupdate to load version 4.06 on the MC board.

3) Use these instructions with CFM to downgrade the firmware on your NexStar+ HC to 5.22.3280 (which is safe for use with MCupdate):

Then you can use MCupdate to load 4.06 on your MC board via a connection to the bottom of the NexStar+ HC.  After that, you will probably want to use CFM to update the NexStar+ HC back to the most current version for use on your NexStar SE mount.  Alternately, that older version 5.22.3280 generally works without producing "no response" errors on the NexStar GPS mount, so you might want to leave it in place for a while.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#68 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 PM

I will try the HCupdate now.

The HCupdate runs.  It does not seem to connect to the HC.  The instructions say to hold down the Info and the Undo button at power on.  This has no impact to the HC except to show RA for Archenar.  I get this if I press the Info button after power up. 

HCupdate will not work on your version 1.2 hand control.  It only works on an actual, out of the box version 4 hand control.

#69 NickInSac

NickInSac

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted Today, 09:11 AM

Got it. Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics