•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AP Stowaway or Tak FC-100DF ?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Chet Mys

Chet Mys

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Easthampton,MA

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

Asking for advice . I just got notified re the AP Stowaway . My 80mm SV Triplet is my most used scope. I'm looking for something almost as easy to handle that would work well on a Porta II . Visual only - for high power use ( 250-300 ) which would you choose for best views, esp lunar and planetary ?

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

I'd almost say the AP, but then again I'm a sucker for high end small apos. "Mighty mites" they are, and just plain fun. Portable and quick to set up too, where that's a factor to be considered.

Yes, if I were you I'd go with the 92mm AP. But then again, I'm not you and the choice is ultimately yours to make. :)

#3 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:25 PM

Well...I use my new Stowaway on Porta ii and love it! I have it mounted to a cgem 2ā€ leg tripod...no shakes and rock stable...still light weight at 30#!

#4 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

I own a 92 Stowaway and highly recommend it.  Its better than what I thought it would be.  I have 20-20 vision with cataract replacements.

I use it with a DSV-1/Manfrotto tripod and Celestron CG5 ASGT mount.  Very portable.

Wes

#5 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:04 PM

No votes yet for the TAK? I will then. Little more light gathering and just as good optically. 

• mikeDnight and 25585 like this

#6 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

My vote goes to the Tak.  A bit more aperture and focal length, which is what you desperately need for viewing planets.

• Mr. Mike and mikeDnight like this

#7 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:41 PM

I think the strength of modest aperture apochromats, ~90 to 105mm, comes in the shorter focal lengths. They are portable and easy to mount, and very versatile, allowing low power wide field views and excellent high power performance. 

For lunar and planetary viewing, my main preference would be more aperture than either. 

Clear skies, Alan

Edited by Alan French, 13 February 2020 - 09:00 AM.

• Paul G, Jeff Bennett and YAOG like this

#8 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:49 PM

The Stowaway is a good scope that rides solidly on my DM4/Oberwerk mount without needing a column extension to avoid hitting the tripod legs when the scope is pointed at the zenith, which shaves about 3# off total weight of the rig. It has a sliding dew shield and a FT focuser, which along with a f6.7 focal ratio allow a collapsed length of 19.5 inches. These were the deciding factors for me.

If planetary performance is the deciding factor, the 100mm scope will provide a touch more magnification before it runs out of exit pupil. It will have less field curvature too. 

Edited by gwlee, 12 February 2020 - 11:17 PM.

#9 Lookitup

Lookitup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:16 PM

Comparing to the SVRT90T, Tak was brighter and cooled faster. Shootout would be great with the AP surely winning in mechanics. I know owners pride in such excellent scopes might make them harder to compare. My Tak even rides well on an M1V mount and strong CF tripod. 

• doctordub and mikeDnight like this

#10 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

When i have to choose between the two, i would get the Tak. But at 300x and the Tak, the Porta II is maybe a little to light when using it with the standard alu tripod (vibrations).

Ultimate would be a TS120 given your SV80 (wide low power). But that TSA is in a total different league. 

..and because this is the refractor forum, a nice C6 has also to be mentioned. grin.gif 

• Lookitup likes this

#11 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:20 PM

Well...I use my new Stowaway on Porta ii and love it! I have it mounted to a cgem 2ā€ leg tripod...no shakes and rock stable...still light weight at 30#!

Would you recommend Porta II for a TEC6  (about 10 pounds) + finder + binoviewer with lightweight TV Plossl size eyepieces?
Would this setup work well and run smoothly at about 150x?
Is Vixen dovetail design fairly secure in holding the scope?

For the tripod I have a spare Rob Miller Tri36M with a G11 adapter, will try to figure out a way to mount the Vixen on that tripod.
Vahe

#12 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:40 AM

If you are serious about imaging the AP, if primarily visual the Tak. Purely based on triplet vs doublet, focal length and aperture. Quality is not a factor with either, a nice dilemma really, neither will disappoint.
  • doctordub, m9x18, mikeDnight and 1 other like this

#13 balu01

balu01

Messenger

• Loc: Las Vegas NV

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:50 AM

When I got notified in january I had my DL and DZ , I could not justify getting the AP scope, I think you will survive either way you go lol.gif

With that said however 80-92 is not much of a jump. If you were to acquire a DL however it will definitely leap from an 80-92 scope at higher mags. I compared both of those apertures to the DL. 

• Erik Bakker, mikeDnight, Blueox4 and 2 others like this

#14 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:19 AM

I'd get the AP: if are not pleased can easily sell it and get the Tak which, unlike the AP, can be readily purchased.
In any case I would make plan for a better mount: I have both the Porta2 and the FC100df and this kind of setup is IME only fit for low power observations, and overall a bit of a "waste" for such nice optics.
  • helpwanted, areyoukiddingme, Axunator and 1 other like this

#15 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:51 AM

For your stated use (visual and also high power) and because you have an 80mm the Tak will give you more of what you want: a meaningful increase in aperture while still being a 6-pound bare OTA.

If you get the AP, there would be no reason to keep the 80mm. If you get the Tak, you may or may not (depending on your needs) find the 80mm useful.

Bob

#16 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

Tough choice but Iā€™d go for the Tak!
  • mikeDnight likes this

#17 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

I'd get the AP: if are not pleased can easily sell it and get the Tak which, unlike the AP, can be readily purchased.
In any case I would make plan for a better mount: I have both the Porta2 and the FC100df and this kind of setup is IME only fit for low power observations, and overall a bit of a "waste" for such nice optics.

Because of shakes at high power?

#18 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:55 AM

Yes.
Because vibrations arise from the head itself, even upgrading the tripod does not really solve the issue (I have tried mine on the sxd2's tripod which is more than adequate for the larger fc100dl if put undr the sxd2 head).
The telescope is somewhat usable, but lose the finer details, nullifying to a certain extent the whole purpose of the fc100's nice optics.
If are for a compact and cheap mount, I would rather suggest the eq3 with clock drive

#19 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

If you were to set up these two scope on a night of good seeing and observed Jupiter, Saturn and Luna at 200x or more, any difference between the views would be picayune.

They weight the same.  The Tak is a little longer.  The AP has a much better focuser.  The Tak has 8mm more aperture.  Functionally, they are more alike than different.

The reason you should get the AP is because it is an AP, and you have this opportunity to own one.  You are taking very little financial risk with the AP.  You can get a Tak any time.

Edited by Spikey131, 13 February 2020 - 08:25 AM.

• Paul G and Defenderslideguitar like this

#20 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale AZ

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

For high power visual I'd go with the Takahashi. Especially if you can pick up the DL version.  If you were into photography (anything other than planets as your target) I'd go with the AP or a different model Tak like the FSQ series.  

The focuser is a good point.  Taks aren't bad - especially when the FL is f8+.  Longer focallengths are more forgiving when it comes to fine tuning focus.  Even so, I find it nice to add the Feather Touch micro focuser to my Taks.  

In the end you can't go wrong with either scope - but that statement doesn't help you.  

#21 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

Tough choice but I would think the two would perform similarly on most objects.  The Stowaway is more expensive but very hard to find if you pass.  I currently own a very nice Tak FC76 DCU and thought about a 100mm Tak.  But I got notified by AP to buy the Stowaway so I will do that since I have never seen or viewed through an AP scope.  Plus being a triplet it could have a tad more contrast like the other 90mm triplets I have owned (SV90T and 90TBV).

A CN member here has the Stowaway and a Tak FC100DF and says the AP Stowaway beats it for visual observing.

Bill

Edited by Bill Barlow, 13 February 2020 - 11:04 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#22 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

Asking for advice . I just got notified re the AP Stowaway . My 80mm SV Triplet is my most used scope. I'm looking for something almost as easy to handle that would work well on a Porta II . Visual only - for high power use ( 250-300 ) which would you choose for best views, esp lunar and planetary ?

For visual use and the understanding you have a very nice SV80mm apo go bigger with a doublet. Everything typically said about doublets for visual observation, higher contrast, faster cool down, lighter weight, easier balancing and almost never needing collimation is true. And being a Takahashi makes them all double true. 

My opinion is the Takahashi FC-100DF or maybe, depending on how absolutely performance oriented your goal, diagonal and eyepieces are the Takahashi FC-100DL. If you get  the FC-100DL the addition of a Baader T2 BBHS Ziess spec prism is well worth the entry fee for the bump in contrast and lowest scatter from a diagonal. The only way to beat it is to observe naked, sans diagonal. 

The last item is you say you want to use it for planetary observation. The longer 900m focal length of the DL is longer and helpful without really reducing the field of view. Think about it, all small refractors have wide fields compared to even the smallest SCT or reflectors in common use. Even by limiting myself to a 1.25" 24mm Panoptic I can get most of M31 in the eyepiece @ about 1.8 degrees true field of view and still comfortably observe local bodies at 200x with a 0.5mm pupil. The scope will go higher but the floaters might become a problem for some.  

The other solution if the objective size is an issue is to find a later Traveler, same 600mm ish focal length with more girth.lol.gif

You could always buy the Stowaway and sell it if you find the extra weight and cool down annoying. Whichever way you go you will end up there anyway. 

Edited by YAOG, 13 February 2020 - 01:25 PM.

• m9x18 and AZStarGuy like this

#23 pao

pao

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

I have both Tak FC100 (DL) and the Stowaway 92. For pure visual use I vote for the Tak.

pao

• ryderc1, Erik Bakker, m9x18 and 6 others like this

#24 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:37 PM

A fun dilemma. 

I got the Stowaway thinking I'd sell my 80mm Orion CF and Televue 101.

The Orion was my first scope, and it weighs all of 5lb. I leave it set up permanently in the living room on a camera tripod/Stellarview M1 mount. I use it for quick looks from my balcony in the day time, and quick looks at night to check seeing or just a quick gander.

The Stowaway gets used for longer sessions, and travels with my larger reflector.

The Televue 101 is now sitting around more than it used to, but it's still fun for a change of pace. It's the one that's on the chopping block, eventually.

So my vote is to go for the scope you like the look of. Logically either will do the job.

#25 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:01 PM

Also funny, till now nobody seems to involve the price difference between the two...get-em.gif 

• pao likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics