•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

nostalgic scopes

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:03 PM

I put this under classic scopes, thought it would fit better here, but that would be up to the moderator. I know that everyone has a scope that they would never get rid of because of nostalgia. But is there a scope or two that you would like to have for nostalgic reasons, that you were never able to own. Maybe like just maybe a nostalgic ad in a magazine, that you looked at thousands of times. Maybe you have nostalgic feelings for that.

So for a scope that you never owned, which do you think you have more nostalgic feelings for, even if just for the memories of the ads that stirred your imagination for years. For me it would be a scope from the Edmund catalog, I worshiped that catalog for several years when growing up, probably the Palomar Jr, the 4 1/2 inch reflector they had. Another would be the Celestron orange tube C-80 that I saw in a store some where many years ago. But I have nostalgic feelings for the many scopes that I use to drool over in the Sears Christmas catalogs .

#2 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:08 PM

Yes, the 4.5" Palomar Jr is also my go-to nostalgic scope  Never owned one, but my school mate did.  I'll never forget how

mesmerized I was when I saw it.   Not much of a scope by today's standards, but boy it made an impression on

this 14 yr old kid.   I thought it was HUGE !  :)

• grif 678 likes this

#3 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:31 PM

The little Unitron 60mm alt-az advertised on the back cover of Sky & Telescope during the 1960s. My junior high school library carried copies of the magazine for check-out, and I remember looking longingly at the Unitron ad during math class.

I also long for the orange-tube Celestron 4 inch refractor I used to own in the 1980s and foolishly sold. 

Steve

• grif 678 and Terra Nova like this

#4 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:00 AM

When I worked in the scope shop in the early 80's I was always enamored of the Asahi Pentax 65 and 85 refractors we had on display. The optics are superb, and the mount is very well built. It was the first time I saw a polar alignment scope (actually a peep-sight with an offset dialed in by sidereal time), and that seemed like such a cool idea. 

It really felt like the successor to Unitron, even down to the fixed length legs, reliance on .965 eyepieces, non-standard tailpiece diameter, turnbuckle latitude adjustment, functional setting circles, declination slow motion wand, and black&white paint scheme on the OTA. Made me wonder if some of the Polarex/Unitron folks went to Asahi as the scope business was winding down. 

Chip W. 

• Bonco2 likes this

#5 G-Tower

G-Tower

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:18 AM

I've had them all, nostalgic or not so I'm done. Now there is one little beauty that still haunts me...A genuine Clark built with Clark hands.

#6 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:48 AM

+1 on the Clark!

• G-Tower likes this

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:43 AM

So many choices...

- Cave 8" F7, mint & loaded, like the one Jim Vice had -- first serious telescope I ever looked through.

- Tasco 20TE, the ultimate Tasco, with all the finders & accessories.

- Yamamoto R-6P, that uber-cool 6" Cassegrain on a pedestal, just for its looks & rarity.

#8 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:44 AM

My Tasco 60mm 5VTE...and my Celestron C8 Orange Tube. John

#9 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

Any of the Tinsley scopes always had a high drool factor.   The cassegrains were the best especially the large ones.  

• Bomber Bob likes this

#10 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

For me, Quantum 4 and Quantum 6 with the one armed forks and maybe a pristine orange tube C11 or C14 with the fork mounts and wedge would do it!

Not that I have space to put them or time to use them these days.  Last couple of weeks have been way too busy to use any of the myriad I do own.

Dave

#11 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:58 PM

This is an easy one for me. The front runner-up is the Sears pedestal mounted 76mm f/16 model 6336 (it also went by other model numbers). It was in the Sears catalog in 65 and 66 when I got my first two telescopes. I must have read the description a thousand times. I had a hint that there could be one around here but it was a false alarm. Yes, I know that this telescope is the same as their tripod mounted 76mm f/16 but it really looks nice in that pedestal with the extra finder and clock drive.

The second runner-up is the Questar 3.5". I remember requesting their catalog many many years ago. They sent me a whole brochure. I must have read it many times. It was and still is a serious investment but maybe one of these days I take the plunge with a used one.

Clear Skies!

Guido

• Bonco2 likes this

#12 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Lift Off

• Vendors
  • Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

I've had a bunch but two that i havent had that i would probably buy are the Cave 6" refractor, and i know they didnt make the objective but it sure looked awesome and that neat little Celestron 50mm flourite which i think was Vixen.

#13 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:27 PM

I ended up owning all the dream scopes of my youth (C5 & C8). That is, everything but that Cave 6" refractor. I seriously was just about mention it. 

I did build a replica of their 4"

Cave 4 Refractor .jpg

Edited by Kasmos, 14 February 2020 - 03:19 AM.

• tim53, clamchip, steve t and 7 others like this

#14 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Lift Off

• Vendors
  • Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:08 AM

The 4" would work also, and then some! I wonder how many of each got sold. Not many i guess. I bet your 4" is the equal of the one cave marketed if not better but if your like me and you saw one not to far away you wouldnt think twice about getting it.

• Kasmos likes this

#15 Ben H

Ben H

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:52 AM

The Legend.. The Myth.. The 16" LX200

qrIK1PE.png

• tim53 likes this

#16 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:52 AM

The 4" would work also, and then some! I wonder how many of each got sold. Not many i guess. I bet your 4" is the equal of the one cave marketed if not better but if your like me and you saw one not to far away you wouldnt think twice about getting it.

I've never seen one outside of the one they had in their shop. Mine is a Jaegers OTA on a Cave mount. When I ordered the mount they let me take measurements from the one in the showroom for the tripod legs. After these many years my memories of the shop and that scope have become a bit foggy. Sure wish I had taken some photos!

Jaegers_Cave-78.jpg

I've posted this one before. It was taken by my dad just after it was put together in the fall of '78.

I still have the scope so maybe one day I'll do a post with some good photos of it.

Edited by Kasmos, 14 February 2020 - 03:53 AM.

• stevew, dave brock, steve t and 8 others like this

#17 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:09 AM

I did build a replica of their 4"

attachicon.gifCave 4 Refractor .jpg

For some reason, I never pictured you in a dress.  lol.gif

#18 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:10 AM

attachicon.gifJaegers_Cave-78.jpg

I've posted this one before. It was taken by my dad just after it was put together in the fall of '78.

I still have the scope so maybe one day I'll do a post with some good photos of it.

THAT'S better!  grin.gif

#19 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

The little Unitron 60mm alt-az advertised on the back cover of Sky & Telescope during the 1960s. My junior high school library carried copies of the magazine for check-out, and I remember looking longingly at the Unitron ad during math class.

I also long for the orange-tube Celestron 4 inch refractor I used to own in the 1980s and foolishly sold. 

Steve

I once did a straw poll of Classics members to find the most iconic Unitron, and after the votes were tallied, believe it or not, the little Model 114 won. I always loved and lusted after it 50 odd years ago and my little 1955 is the only one I kept after having half a dozen up to the 4” Model 152. My second owner Model 114 is my Posterity Unitron.

The other Most Nostalgic in my book was the one in my don’t even dare to dream book.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8F21300C-DE6C-45A0-A9A8-2631D5D6097C.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 14 February 2020 - 11:28 AM.

• George N, John Rogers, Astrojensen and 3 others like this

#20 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

The Legend.. The Myth.. The 16" LX200

qrIK1PE.png

Personally, I was more than a little delighted when Don Parker quit using the bloody 16" LX200 Meade had given him and went back to using his 16" Newt.  

• Astrojensen likes this

#21 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

Well, one more telescope ad that I drooled over. This Unitron with all the works. It looks awesome. The only thing I had from this ad was the Graflex Camera, a gift from my uncle who was a professional photographer. It was already an old Graflex when I got it. It's still with me. That camera would have required some good counterweight. This ad was in the inner side of the back cover of The Review of Popular Astronomy.

Guido

Attached Thumbnails

• Unitron3.JPG

• George N, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#22 Ben H

Ben H

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

Personally, I was more than a little delighted when Don Parker quit using the bloody 16" LX200 Meade had given him and went back to using his 16" Newt.  

As a kid reading Astronomy all I knew was the LX200 was the coolest, most advanced, most amazing telescope of all time, and the 16" was massive, and qualified for use by men in lab coats. This being the mid-90s you just didn't see men in lab coats any more, especially not in advertisements. That made the scope NASA-grade in my mind.

I still very much want one, when the day comes and I can afford it. Or at least, I think I do. I've been looking for local-ish college observatories that have one I can make a day trip to when the weather is fair and they're hosting a public night to see one in action. 

#23 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

Well, one more telescope ad that I drooled over. This Unitron with all the works. It looks awesome. The only thing I had from this ad was the Graflex Camera, a gift from my uncle who was a professional photographer. It was already an old Graflex when I got it. It's still with me. That camera would have required some good counterweight. This ad was in the inner side of the back cover of The Review of Popular Astronomy.

Guido

That was the scope I dreamed about back in the day.

Steve 

• oldmanastro and BFaucett like this

#24 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:07 PM

I have a 1967 Sky & Telescope and the 'send for free catalog" are clipped out for

Unitron, Jaegers , and Edmund Scientific.

I was 10 years old in 1967.

My parents sent me away on a hippie bus up along the coast of British Columbia.

I remember the bus breaking down a lot and the guys climbing under it to make it pur again.

I remember camp fires on the beach.

Stars shown so bright you could read by their light.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 15 February 2020 - 11:11 PM.

• Terra Nova, oldmanastro and Kasmos like this

#25 CaptKirk

CaptKirk

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:44 PM

An Edmund 4-inch refractor. A friend of mine had one and it was fantastic.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics