•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Luminar 4,5 inches - have anyone seen this one before?

classic reflector
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

This one is for sale, for 150$. Have not succeeded in finding any info about this.

Have anyone seen this before and is it good? Or worth to add to collection of vintage scopes?

Clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• luminar.jpg
  • luminar2.jpg
  • luminar3.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#2 G-Tower

G-Tower

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:16 AM

Typical Japanese made, probably by Towa. $150? Not today. Colectible nope. $50 is morelike it 

• mr.otswons likes this

#3 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

Typical Japanese made, probably by Towa. $150? Not today. Colectible nope. $50 is morelike it 

Was thinking 50 as well.

#4 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

I can't tell from the pix...  IF it has a helical rather than a rack & pinion focuser, that puts it in the late 1960s / early 1970s -- Old TOWA category.  Looks like it has the standard EQ-2.  Only 1 eyepiece looks original to the kit, but hard to tell for sure.

I'd offer $100.  I wouldn't go over $150, even if the mirrors are pristine, and the finder has its original (& straight!) crosshairs.

These Newts aren't rare in the USA, but the older ones with a metal helical focuser are uncommon.  They're more capable instruments than we give them credit for -- check out my planetary imagery made with a Classic 1980s Vixen version, versus a 2016 China-made version (also wearing a Celestron label).  Very good performance -- if you get one cheap.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 13 February 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

Some jiggery with the pikky indicates to me that is it almost certainly a helical focuser, as Bob speculates...

HelicalFocuser.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:01 PM

The oldest one of these I've seen was branded Juiho.  Like some C8s, these small Newts are under-valued IMHO.  My biggest gripe with the Towa version is that they put theirs on an EQ-2, the same mount as the Model 305 / 60mm refractor, rather than the beefier Model 339 / 80mm frac mount (aka, EQ-3).  Some owners say it's robust enough; but, Royal, Yamamoto, Mizar, etc. put their 100mm Newts on a heftier version of the 60mm EQ.  

I hope the scope is in excellent condition, that a deal gets struck, and we get some test & session reports on it.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 13 February 2020 - 09:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics