•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quick review of the Meade 80mm OTA adventure scope

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:02 AM

After reading lots of reviews on this scope I decide to buy one and try it out, so I did and here my mini review of this $88.00 scope. Scope arrived boxed very well the fit and finish of this little scope was very good, the lens was very clean and well coated the 1.25 focuser is very nice and smooth working and yes the scope and tube seem to be all metal very little plastic,over all a very nice looking scope. If your like me and were looking for a scope that's light weight and easy to use both day and night and that gives wide field view then this just might be the scope for you. A quick first light with this scope using a Celestron 25mm X-cel and a Meade zoom I was very surprise the views were nice and sharp when viewing the sword in Orion with the 25mm the views were very good easy to see the whole sword plus star were pinpoint, when using the zoom and higher power I could make out the central 4 stars and faint gray nebula of M-42 over all this little scope seems to have good optics. This morning I got a quick view of the moon using the Meade zoom the views were very sharp from 26mm to 6mm lots of nice detail to be seen very little false color if any could be seen around the moon. There you have it for the price what more could you ask for also I found I did not need to use a finder on this scope to use this scope to locate most objects. Over all a best buy for the money in my opinion, clear skies. 

Edited by George Methvin, 13 February 2020 - 11:13 AM.

• m9x18, eros312, Agatha and 3 others like this

#2 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

Were you using the stock diagonal?

#3 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

No I found I had a old Meade diagonal laying around and use it. The diagonal that that came with the scope is not the best its ok I guess for day time use but not so good for night time I found the meade diagonal was a big improvement ,the diagonal and the tripod would be the things I would upgrade for sure plus the eyepieces.

Edited by George Methvin, 13 February 2020 - 11:04 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

I put a Crayford on mine.  Feels like it doubled the weight, but it's a huge improvement IMO over the stock R&P.

• BFaucett likes this

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

A couple of mods that won,t break the bank are, remove the stock focuser and repaint the inside which is painted with the same glossy grey that,s on the outside with a good flat black, also get a set of rings and a 8" dovetail that will enable you to move the scope forwards to obtain better balance, also when replacing the focuser  a small flat washer under the screws helps with a more secure fit, D

Edited by Binojunky, 13 February 2020 - 12:50 PM.

• vdog likes this

#6 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

Now that you mention it I noticed on my 80mm the inside is a gray paint so something will have to be do to fix that lol.

Edited by George Methvin, 13 February 2020 - 02:43 PM.

#7 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

I though about putting a crayford focuser on mine but then it would make the scope that much heavier and harder to balance on the mount. Plus I believe the crayford focuser cost more then the scope but then I could use 2 inch eyepieces with the scope but now I am adding more weight so much to think about LOL when will it ever end.   

• Jon Isaacs, rowdy388 and gene 4181 like this

#8 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:09 PM

I put a GSO dual speed focuser on mine, and yes, it does make balancing more difficult. This is especially tough when I am trying to use either of my 2 inch Panoptic eyepieces ( 27 and 35 ). I feel it is worth it because focusing is so much nicer now than it was with the stock focuser. Is it worth the extra cost and trouble, I feel it is, but it may not be everyones cup of tea. 

• BFaucett likes this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:58 PM

A 2 inch focuser is nice for these scopes if you have a 2 inch diagonal and some decent 2 inch eyepieces. Rings are helpful in balancing the scope. I use a single, heavy duty ring as a clamshell on mine.

Celestron ST-80.jpg

But this is really quite a different scope and starts to be in the neighborhood of a used ED-80 for cost, around $300.

The beauty of an 80 mm F/5 for under $100 is that you get a light, rugged scope capable of nearly 4 degrees.  

Jon

• BFaucett likes this

#10 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:57 PM

I though about putting a crayford focuser on mine but then it would make the scope that much heavier and harder to balance on the mount. Plus I believe the crayford focuser cost more then the scope but then I could use 2 inch eyepieces with the scope but now I am adding more weight so much to think about LOL when will it ever end.   

I truly enjoy using my Meade Adventure Scope 80. It's probably my most frequently used scope. I enjoy using it enough that I added some upgrades such as a GSO Crayford 2-speed focuser. It also now has its own dedicated Vixen Porta II so it's always set up and ready to go outside.

I do have a Celestron 80ED (also on its own Porta II) but, for some strange reason, I seem to grab the Meade AS80 more often for casual grab-n-go sessions. It's just such a handy and convenient size... or maybe I'm just crazy. lol.gif  Maybe I'll replace the Meade one of these days with something like an AT72EDII or SW Evostar 72ED but, for now, I'm happy.

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

gallery_230527_10827_109597.jpg

Edited by BFaucett, 13 February 2020 - 11:01 PM.

• m9x18 likes this

#11 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

I was going to put a Crayford on my ST120, but when I saw the Lunts on sale to fit an 80mm, I decided to try one of those first.  Now, of course, I *must* have a Crayford for the 120 b/c I'm spoiled.

• BFaucett likes this

#12 jgauthi845

jgauthi845

Lift Off

• Loc: Alexandria, LA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

I have the Meade Infinity 80mm. I am thinking about cleaning the lube off of the focuser and re-lubing it. After it is put back together will it need to be collimated? There is a You Tube video on re-greasing the focuser and it shows to collimate it after putting it back together. I have read several threads on this and have never read where it needs to be collimated after this process

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

I have the Meade Infinity 80mm. I am thinking about cleaning the lube off of the focuser and re-lubing it. After it is put back together will it need to be collimated? There is a You Tube video on re-greasing the focuser and it shows to collimate it after putting it back together. I have read several threads on this and have never read where it needs to be collimated after this process

Anytime you remove a focuser held in place by three screws, it best to check the alignment of the focuser because there is some play possible. Generally if the focuser is fully inserted in the vote so that the focuser flange is against the tube all the way around, you're OK.

Jon

#14 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

Anytime you remove the focuser on one of these you should "re-collimate" it when reattaching the focuser, but the process is simple. These telescopes don't actually come with any collimation adjustments. But you can still colimate it to an extent. What you want to do is insert a sight tube cheshire combo tool into the focuser and use it to center the focuser against the lens cap and hold it in place as you tighten the three screws to hold the focuser in place. That will give you a better collimation than if you just reattach the focuser.

The procedures using either a laser or a Cheshire combo tool is shown at about the 16:30 minute mark of this video. https://duckduckgo.c...h?v=Ylb7xnc_03U

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 14 February 2020 - 10:05 AM.

#15 jgauthi845

jgauthi845

Lift Off

• Loc: Alexandria, LA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

Thanks! The grease is so sticky on there it feels like tree sap!

• jcj380 likes this

#16 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:33 AM

Thanks! The grease is so sticky on there it feels like tree sap!

And when the temp falls below freezing it gets very stiff as well and can make the focuser stop working.  I had trouble getting these Synta focusers to move properly when it was cold.  Best to remove all of the Synta grease glue.  It is crap and I don't understand why they continue using it.  They got a lot of things right, but their supposed gear lube is not one of them.

#17 Mike710

Mike710

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

Iam new to the hobby and after some research I choose the same scope. Had my first successful night session two days ago after a short pause of bad weather in my area, really enjoyed the couple of hours I spent with the AC80/400.

But I do agree that out of the box it only does half the job. In my case I had to buy a new tripod, EP´s and diagonal, so it was much more then the retail price in that sense, but I don´t regreat it at all.  Still need to do the modding to it, but I haven´t been able to take the dew shield off yet, to reset the lenses. That thing is well stuck on there!  Iam waiting for the lithium grease to arrive, because I also found that as is, the focuser is on the stiff side.

IMG-20200212-163844290.jpg

Mike

--

Edited by Mike710, 15 February 2020 - 11:28 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, jcj380 and BFaucett like this

#18 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

That seems to be the case with most people.  Toss the tripod or use it as a cellphone holder, keep the backpack, and give the EPs to kids or cats.  I use the EPs as dust plugs.

• Mike710 likes this

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

Iam new to the hobby and after some research I choose the same scope. Had my first successful night session two days ago after a short pause of bad weather in my area, really enjoyed the couple of hours I spent with the AC80/400.

But I do agree that out of the box it only does half the job. In my case I had to buy a new tripod, EP´s and diagonal, so it was much more then the retail price in that sense, but I don´t regreat it at all.  Still need to do the modding to it, but I haven´t been able to take the dew shield off yet, to reset the lenses. That thing is well stuck on there!  Iam waiting for the lithium grease to arrive, because I also found that as is, the focuser is on the stiff side.

Mike

--

Mike:

The adventure scope 80 is a lot of scope for $90. It's the same OTA as the original Orion ST-80. Used the go for around $100. Orion now sells the CT-80 OTA which has a plastic focuser and nothing else for $100.

So even if you're only using the telescope itself, it's a real bargain.

I think theyre good first telescopes. To paraphrase Yogi Berra, They're about 1/2 binocular with their low power wide field views and 90% telescope with their comfortable viewing and ability to magnify.  

One more tidbit: If you want to look at Venus, leave the main lens cover in place and only remove the smaller center cover. This dramatically reduces thev chromatic aberation.

Jon 

• Mike710 likes this

#20 Mike710

Mike710

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:44 AM

Mike:

One more tidbit: If you want to look at Venus, leave the main lens cover in place and only remove the smaller center cover. This dramatically reduces thev chromatic aberation.

Jon 

Thank you Jon, will do that.

Mike

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

Thank you Jon, will do that.

Mike

The effectiveness when viewing Venus is almost unbelievable.  Venus is the toughest object when it comes to chromatic aberration. And an 80 mm F/5 shows a lot of purple.  But the small cover reduces the aperture from 80 mm to 42mm and the purple essentially disappears. 

You lose resolution so for Jupiter and Saturn you want to be using full aperture.

Jon

• Mike710 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics