•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buying and waiting

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:15 PM

Who gets annoyed and frustrated and quite a bit anxious,

waiting for your new astro gadget to arrive and dreading the delvery time that it takes to reach your door in good condition?

I just ordered a slew of gadgets and accessories and I am anxiouly waiting for my new toys to arrive!

#2 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:35 PM

I get anxious wondering if it will need a signature and if I will be home for it or not.  Trying to rush home to get there in time and then if I miss it having to arrange for shipment on another day or I have to go pick it up.

I am expecting another toy that was scheduled to arrive tomorrow with 2 day shipping and then I got a message from UPS delayed until Friday.  I don't think it is weather related. 

#3 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

If I got all bent out of shape everytime I ordered something I would just do without. I'm not always successful, but I try to avoid things and people that stress me. 

• izar187, Gray and mrsjeff like this

#4 jerobe

jerobe

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:08 PM

I get anxious wondering if it will need a signature and if I will be home for it or not.  Trying to rush home to get there in time and then if I miss it having to arrange for shipment on another day or I have to go pick it up.

I am expecting another toy that was scheduled to arrive tomorrow with 2 day shipping and then I got a message from UPS delayed until Friday.  I don't think it is weather related. 

+1 regarding the signature anxiety. When I was still working it wasn't a problem because I would have the expensive stuff requiring signatures sent to the office where there was always someone there to receive it. Now that I'm retired, it's a pain waiting for the doorbell to ring at home.

#5 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:23 PM

And sometimes, rarely but still too often, my item gets delivered to another address by mistake.  Recently, I saw online it indicated delivered.  But it was nowhere to be seen.  I went down the entire block a couple of times asking people and checking doors.  There were some roofers a couple doors down who said they didn't see it but on my return I checked each house again and this time to my surprise my box was at that door.  They must have taken it and put it back but I was very happy to have it.

#6 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:42 PM

I will have waited about 10 weeks from a order on a very good product. But I know it is the only thing that fits my real needs and in the meantime I have other tools to use. Yes I want it now, but given our weather here in Oregon, my new "used" C5 and SLT are doing yeomens duty for EAA currently.

#7 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

I buy most of my stuff off local classifieds to avoid this exact anxiety :)
  • izar187 likes this

#8 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:40 AM

I have 9 packages arriving supposedly today. I am aiming to leave for WSP at 6AM tomorrow morning. These packages contain a mount, pier, counter-wieghts plates, etc. In other words - the whole shabang! Anxious? Yup!

Edited by stevenwav, 14 February 2020 - 09:40 AM.

• premk19 and joelcindyclark like this

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

Lots like to complain about slow shipping but they don’t want to pay for the express two day shipping,  2 + 2 doesn’t = 4 sometimes, lol ! From Agena Astro in California to my home in North Bay, Ontario, Canada it consistently takes about 5 - 7 working days with standard shipping and a tracking number with the USPS and Canada Post and I have to contend with Canada Customs ! Thats called service, thats called speed, you can’t beat that and its every time ! Clear Skies !    PS: Last week from B&H out of New York to my home in Canada via Fedex a small part took about 6 working days, what more could could you want, could you ask for ?

• airbleeder likes this

#10 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

If you make prior arrangements the ‘signing for’ can be waved / not required as well !  Clear Skies !

• airbleeder likes this

#11 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

Picking up a few things from my US mailbox tomorrow.  Not too excited as I'm still a month (or more) away from comfortably using any of it.

• izar187 likes this

#12 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Well, I got my packages in time. I just spent over $1200 is shipping costs over the past week. Shipping costs are just part of the cost of "doing business" in this hobby. This equipment is special, few and far between and above all - fragile.

#13 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

I just received the following email regarding my ZWO gear order:

"Thank you for your recent purchase! Unfortunately, due to the recent coronavirus outbreak in China, our QHY and ZWO manufacturers are closed until further notice, causing a delay in your order's fulfillment. We're sure that you're eager to get your hands on your new QHY or ZWO purchase, and we will be working diligently to update you on your order. Thank you for your patience and continued support!"

My scope even took 3 months after ordering, and that was from California..

I think waiting is just part of the hobby..

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

Well, I got my packages in time. I just spent over $1200 is shipping costs over the past week. Shipping costs are just part of the cost of "doing business" in this hobby. This equipment is special, few and far between and above all - fragile.

Shipping costs are a lot less if you can use the USPS, if you use a courier the brokerage fees are atrocious, some dealers will only use them, I don’t buy from those dealers ! As I mentioned California to North Bay, Ontario via USPS and Canada Post 7 working days total on average and no brokerage costs ! An example, I wanted a $10 US part one time and the brokerage was $40 US, forget that, it didn’t happen !  Clear Skies !  

#15 Old Man

Old Man

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:04 PM

Well I am not a happy camper. A part I had ordered according to the tracking # was on the delivery truck last Sat., no delivery, rescheduled for 2/11/20 delivery, no show and not scanned as delivered. Been on the phone with the delivery co.,

package is lost, they said they have looked in delivery truck and it is not there, whereabouts unknown.

Contacted the co. and they are to resend the item, but still waiting on confirmation of that.

Another package was to be received yesterday, scanned as delivered, but was not at my house, quick phone call to my PO, and they checked with the carrier, said package will be here in 20 minutes and it was. It had been delivered to wrong street, set on wet porch with a dripping water off roof right on the package, when I got it the box was so wet it was coming open as the cardboard was just falling apart, been under water drip 4 hours. inside package was bubble wrapped and dry.

I have lost all confidence in shipping co's., they could care less how other peoples property is treated, they are only drawing a paycheck and no pride in their work at all. 

Sorry for the long rant, but 2 packages in the same week by 2 different carriers is just not to my liking.

#16 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

Shipping costs are a lot less if you can use the USPS, if you use a courier the brokerage fees are atrocious, some dealers will only use them, I don’t buy from those dealers ! As I mentioned California to North Bay, Ontario via USPS and Canada Post 7 working days total on average and no brokerage costs ! An example, I wanted a $10 US part one time and the brokerage was $40 US, forget that, it didn’t happen !  Clear Skies !  

For us CDN's USPS is cheapest, but for those in the USA sometimes other couriers are cheaper and/or faster.

Also, for shipping within Canada I've found UPS to be as cheap (or cheaper) as Canada Post and much faster also.

#17 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:54 PM

For us CDN's USPS is cheapest, but for those in the USA sometimes other couriers are cheaper and/or faster.

Also, for shipping within Canada I've found UPS to be as cheap (or cheaper) as Canada Post and much faster also.

You might be right in your neck of the woods but up here in mine it has never been that way. And when I did use them they did insist on signing for the package, it was their policy ! I haven’t used them for a long time. I can get a scope or what have you from either coast to my home up here in northern ON in about 5 - 6 working days using CP express post that incl. a track# and $100 ins. and the prices are very competitive. To each his own, as always !  Clear Skies !  PS: I used to use BPX a lot because they run 7 days a week, they don’t shut down on weekends but suddenly their cost jumped up over nite almost !

Edited by LDW47, 14 February 2020 - 05:58 PM.

#18 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

I am only speaking from my extensive experience over many years what the guys in the US are up against I don’t know, I can’t say !

#19 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:05 PM

😯 😦

Good to hear everything arrived in time.  Those shipping costs would kill me, though. 

Edited by kevint1, 14 February 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#20 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

After you get the stuff, then it's cloudy and cold for a long time, or clear and a full moon.......  I think I might be done with buying for a long time, maybe for good.  One time, still in the hobby, I did not buy any astro gear for about seven years.  When you have what you need and want, then you just stop buying...

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 14 February 2020 - 06:15 PM.

• izar187 likes this

#21 Jeff L

Jeff L

Ranger 4

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

After waiting two weeks for my cgem II mount. It arrived with a dent in one of the legs. Now I have to return it. Wait for them to get it before they send me the replacement. Probably another two to three weeks. Oh well it’s cloudy every day anyway.

#22 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:10 PM

$1200 for shipping! I would have taken a roadtrip to pick it up and tried it out somewhere on the road home. If it was shipping from far enough west, I could have swung by some very dark sites.

• LDW47 likes this

#23 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:47 PM

I have things shipped to my office. Then I don’t have to worry about being home :)

#24 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:09 PM

I have things shipped to my office. Then I don’t have to worry about being home smile.gif

I did that back when I had an office.  Notified our receiving department that I was expecting a personal pkg, and they would bring it to my office.  UPS would deliver quicker and cheaper back then to business addresses, than to residences.

#25 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

before reading this post, i almost forgot that i had ordered a telescope 2 months ago and i have 2 more months to wait.
a chance that the weather is not favorable right now, so I wait in peace.whee.gif

• izar187, airbleeder, greenstars3 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics