•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buying and waiting

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

Well, I am very disappointed.  I paid for 2 day delivery UPS.  They delayed it one day and then it was out for delivery today.  I rushed home, waited and looked.  Was getting to almost 2 hours past their estimated end time.  Then I just got a message it is coming Monday.  That isn't close to the 2 day service I paid for.  Anyway, I have lots of other things to do but I am not sure I will be home Monday to get it unless they deliver it later in the day.  And if it is very late, I will be outside viewing in the backyard and will miss it.

#27 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

Well, I am very disappointed.  I paid for 2 day delivery UPS.  They delayed it one day and then it was out for delivery today.  I rushed home, waited and looked.  Was getting to almost 2 hours past their estimated end time.  Then I just got a message it is coming Monday.  That isn't close to the 2 day service I paid for.  Anyway, I have lots of other things to do but I am not sure I will be home Monday to get it unless they deliver it later in the day.  And if it is very late, I will be outside viewing in the backyard and will miss it.

If you paid for two day delivery, and it took five, then you should get a shipping refund.

• Doug Culbertson likes this

#28 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:36 PM

If you paid for two day delivery, and it took five, then you should get a shipping refund.

Yes, you would think so but I don't know if there is a guarantee.  And I paid the company who shipped it and it is not their fault.  Oh well, UPS must be very busy because it was on the truck today and just got too late.

#29 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

I go my new mini computer today and I ordered it on Wednesday. It came with 2nd day shipping. Also, the various port plugs and WiFi extenders also arrived today.

• OldManSky likes this

#30 greenstars3

greenstars3

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:25 AM

John said "If you paid for two day delivery, and it took five, then you should get a shipping refund"

He must not live where the pony express is still in business and is as good as the horses they ride in on..lol.gif lol.gif

Out here it takes what it takes.

Robert

edit: I never expect anything in one or 2 days - are you kidding me, I always expect 7-10 days if shipped that afternoon

Edited by greenstars3, 15 February 2020 - 01:29 AM.

• LDW47 likes this

#31 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

You should still get what you pay for.  If the courier cannot do two day, they shouldn't offer it.  Would you pay for an extra large pizza you ordered if they delivered a small?

I would personally ask the shipper for a refund on the extra shipping.  They can recover the cost in a credit from the courier. Couriers want to keep frequent shippers happy.  But, do what you want, it is only my take.

#32 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:48 AM

I don't remember ever requesting two day delivery but if I paid for it, didn't get it, I would ask for the difference. 

#33 LDW47

LDW47

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

From my experience which is quite extensive over many years is that if you use the standard Express Shipping vs say 2 Day Shipping for at least half the price or more the package gets to you in almost the same time, maybe a day or two later but a lot cheaper and no excuses as to why it is late as some have said. A day or two helps to reduce the stress level most times, lol ! Although as I am not in the US my Canadian experience may be different ! Up here when things get real busy they deliver until at least 8-9 o’clock just to keep up !

Edited by LDW47, 15 February 2020 - 11:09 AM.

#34 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:51 PM

You should still get what you pay for.  If the courier cannot do two day, they shouldn't offer it.  Would you pay for an extra large pizza you ordered if they delivered a small?

I would personally ask the shipper for a refund on the extra shipping.  They can recover the cost in a credit from the courier. Couriers want to keep frequent shippers happy.  But, do what you want, it is only my take.

Yes, I strongly agree.  The fact is they don't make it easy.  If they don't deliver what you paid for then they should deliver with your item a gift certificate or some form of credit, at least.  But they make it very difficult to get any sort of refund and I bet it would take a lot of time and effort if it is even possible.  They know this and it discourages people from even trying.  My time is important too so I don't bother.  I chose 2 day air not because I wanted it quicker, but because the seller recommended it thinking it would be safer.  With air shipping there is probably less transferring of the item whereas for ground shipping the item must be going on and off more trucks and perhaps bouncing around more.  This must be why Takahashi always ships 2 day air only and triple boxes all scopes.

• izar187 likes this

#35 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:05 PM

I have 4 pcs of equipment coming this week, all from various vendors and all from a different shipper, go

figure. So just want it all here to start putting it all together. 

#36 greenstars3

greenstars3

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:34 PM

Where I live you cannot order and get pizza delivered, weather dictates delivery, and I never pay for nor ask for expedited delivery but 5 miles in any direction I have class 2 skies and 30 miles to class 1. The pony express gets here as they can. lol.gif lol.gif

You do get what you pay for.

Robert

#37 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:02 PM

Regarding rushing home to see if something got delivered... try to order it pick up at the local delivery depot.

Yes you may have to negotiate this a bit with the vendor, and it does have to be an option with the carrier.

Yup, it do require a road trip to the carrier distribution center.

But it eliminates theft and signature to receive it issues.

Highly recommended.

If you are flipping lots of gear, for any hobby or interest, the it's pretty hard to beat maintaining a PO Box.

Very well worth the cost per year, for the convenience.

Very happy USPS customer, for years. 

• greenstars3 likes this

#38 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

Don’t ever order an Astro-Physics telescope.....

#39 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:10 AM

Tracking works for me to find when gear is "out for delivery" or you can log in give the driver instructions about delivery if you are not going to be home. Speaking of tracking, I gotta go check on my order now!

Edited by tog, 17 February 2020 - 10:12 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics