•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dual speed focuser and eyepiece extension suggestions?

equipment accessories
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Waynerplays

Waynerplays

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

Hello night sky adventurers,

I picked up a Skywatcher ST120 achro on a Super Polaris mount for $200 CDN and am finding the focuser definitely needs an upgrade since focus is barely attained at the travel limit and difficult to hone into, so I'm guessing the best solution is to replace with a dual speed focuser and an eyepiece extension.

Considering the original purchase price, a Moonlite or other top quality dual speed focuser seems a little overkill, so perhaps something like this GSO, see link, may be more appropriate. I've seen an article outlining steps to eliminate some of its shortcomings, but looking for input on any other possible solutions and recommendations.

https://agenaastro.c...speed-86mm.html [agenaastro.com]

thank you all 

Wayne

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

I have that same focuser, on a scope that cost $90. Worth it. I think the shortcomings of that focuser are a little overblown. It will suit you perfectly .

• BFaucett likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

I went with the Linear version as I prefer it over the standard but either will be a nice improvement.

#4 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:59 PM

I went with the Linear version as I prefer it over the standard but either will be a nice improvement.

Note that the focuser travel with the linear version is only 2". On the standard Crayford linked above, it is 3.1".

• BFaucett and 25585 like this

#5 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:51 PM

Lunt has them on sale for $69.95.

• SteveG likes this

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:07 PM

So, what were the results when you made the proper adjustments to the original Skywatcher focuser?  You did try adjusting it via the set-screws,  correct?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:16 AM

So, what were the results when you made the proper adjustments to the original Skywatcher focuser?  You did try adjusting it via the set-screws,  correct?

:waytogo:

Disassembling the focuser, cleaning the sticky grease off, adjusting the drawtube and then the pinion assembly preload can result is a much improved focuser. I done more than I can remember. 

I often replace the lower pads with bondable Teflon. It helps but just cleaning and adjusting is whats important.  Here is a detailed discussion of my procedure.

https://www.cloudyni...d/#entry4616865

Jon

• BFaucett likes this

#8 Waynerplays

Waynerplays

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

Actually I haven't tried that yet Viking 1, though considering focus is almost beyond the limit of the r&p, in fact I have to pull the eyepiece out a bit and at that point the draw tube is no longer rigid.

#9 Waynerplays

Waynerplays

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

thanks Jon, I'll try that

waytogo.gif

Disassembling the focuser, cleaning the sticky grease off, adjusting the drawtube and then the pinion assembly preload can result is a much improved focuser. I done more than I can remember. 

I often replace the lower pads with bondable Teflon. It helps but just cleaning and adjusting is whats important.  Here is a detailed discussion of my procedure.

https://www.cloudyni...d/#entry4616865

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics