•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mach2 waiting list

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#1 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:08 PM

Is there something more involved than just inputting your email on the Astro Physics Mach2 webpage to get on the “waiting list”?  I never received any kind of acknowledgment although I think I’ve done it a couple of times.  Not even sure I’d take advantage, but I’d like to have a chance at one.

#2 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

Try emailing AP.  They are extremely responsive and it would be a more reliable answer than you can get here.

• Christopher Erickson likes this

#3 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:25 PM

Not even sure I’d take advantage, but I’d like to have a chance at one.

This is not like the waiting list for one of their scopes, which may never empty in our lifetimes. This is a backlog until they work out their last minute kinks and get the production pipeline going. Once that happens, I would guess the wait times will go back down to several weeks, like the 1100 is currently. How long it takes to get to that point is the great unknown, but my completely uneducated guess is about 6-8 months before the backlog is cleared. 

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:22 AM

Try emailing AP.  They are extremely responsive and it would be a more reliable answer than you can get here.

They can sometimes take a while to answer email (not usually, but I have had it take a few days once in a while).

The best thing is the just call them and ask.  They are great folks and would be happy to talk to you.

815-282-1513

• Christopher Erickson and Stephen Kennedy like this

#5 DennisK

DennisK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Willowick, OH

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

The web page specifically says:

Availability: Shipments begin February 2020 for current orders.   New Order Status:: In mid February, we will begin notifying people who signed up for this mount in April 2019 to place orders for late Spring 2020 delivery.

Then there is a box to enter your e-mail address and a NOTIFY button.

If you've already done this and have not heard anything, just give them a call as suggested above if you want more info...

#6 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

The web page specifically says: Availability: Shipments begin February 2020 for current orders. New Order Status:: In mid February, we will begin notifying people who signed up for this mount in April 2019 to place orders for late Spring 2020 delivery.

Then there is a box to enter your e-mail address and a NOTIFY button.

If you've already done this and have not heard anything, just give them a call as suggested above if you want more info...

Yes, I’ve done that, but it’s good to get an acknowledgement. The web doesn’t always work the way it should.

#7 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

I just received a nice email from them, telling me that I am indeed on the list.
  • Christopher Erickson, kkt and ChrisWhite like this

#8 DennisK

DennisK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Willowick, OH

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

The web doesn’t always work the way it should.

BLASPHEMY...shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif 

• kkt likes this

#9 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:48 PM

Pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on this, when I have the opportunity, which I’ll admit could be weeks or could be months.  It seems they are giving the people who were on the Mach1 list when they stopped production on that first dibs, which is entirely fair, but according to them I’m reasonably high on the Mach2 list.  I’m in no huge hurry - I’m reasonably happy with my CEM60EC, and I definitely want them to get the Mach2 right, which I know they will do.  It will be a lifetime mount for me, almost definitely.

• AZStarGuy and ezwheels like this

#10 KellyMcGrew

KellyMcGrew

Explorer 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, I thought my Mach1 GTO would be a "once-in-a-lifetime" purchase, too.  Now I'm contemplating selling it for a Mach2 GTO.  I suppose it's the Astro-Physics equivalent of "Nikon Acquisition Syndrome" (NAS):  APAS.

For those who've never seen or used one, I highly recommend the eyepiece case from Wood Wonders.

• Christopher Erickson likes this

#11 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

I had a Mach1 GTO fairly early in its generation time (and was in line at A-P for it for many months as I recall).  Mount is awesome but it went through at least a couple of refreshes after purchase (e.g., the improved Azimuth adjuster/rotating base, RA polar scope alignment adapter, GTOCP4).  Point being, like many new products that generate great interest, there is some benefit in not being an "early adopter".  I would love to see a Mach2 in my future but I am content to wait in case any kinks need to be worked out and/or improvements and tweaks made.  

• psandelle and epdreher like this

#12 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:33 AM

I had a Mach1 GTO fairly early in its generation time (and was in line at A-P for it for many months as I recall).  Mount is awesome but it went through at least a couple of refreshes after purchase (e.g., the improved Azimuth adjuster/rotating base, RA polar scope alignment adapter, GTOCP4).  Point being, like many new products that generate great interest, there is some benefit in not being an "early adopter".  I would love to see a Mach2 in my future but I am content to wait in case any kinks need to be worked out and/or improvements and tweaks made.  

Believe me, I’ve thought of this. It’s a version of the old “don’t buy low serial numbers”, which is generally a good rule.  The downside is that it would probably be a couple years before we feel reasonably confident that the product is stable.  I’m not willing to wait that long, so it’s really a choice between taking a chance with the Mach2 or buying a different premium mount.  Given Astro Physics’s reputation for customer service, I’m willing to take that chance.  I understand why others wouldn’t be willing to do so.  

It’s also why I’m happy they are taking their time in working out the obvious bugs now.  I realize that issues will come up as people use the mounts.  I just hope these problems are easily fixable.  One of the nice things about having two good mounts is that if I have to send one back in to be serviced or upgraded, I can still use the other.

#13 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:35 AM

I agree whole heartedly..... but having seen one in person at AIC, honestly it is hard to say it needs any more features.grin.gif That is one very very impressive piece of equipment! I am guessing they are essentially fine tuning the software to the mount. I am on list as well, but I think I will pass for a bit. My 1100 is still very portable for me and, fingers crossed, my body will allow this to be the case for at least a few more years. 

• Christopher Erickson and John O'Grady like this

#14 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:43 AM

Believe me, I’ve thought of this. It’s a version of the old “don’t buy low serial numbers”, which is generally a good rule.  The downside is that it would probably be a couple years before we feel reasonably confident that the product is stable.  I’m not willing to wait that long, so it’s really a choice between taking a chance with the Mach2 or buying a different premium mount.  Given Astro Physics’s reputation for customer service, I’m willing to take that chance.  I understand why others wouldn’t be willing to do so.  

It’s also why I’m happy they are taking their time in working out the obvious bugs now.  I realize that issues will come up as people use the mounts.  I just hope these problems are easily fixable.  One of the nice things about having two good mounts is that if I have to send one back in to be serviced or upgraded, I can still use the other.

Seems a reasonable approach to take in this situation. Of all the companies in this Hobby that I can think of, A-P is probably the best to buy from when considering a product 'on the bleeding edge'. In my experience, they will get it right and make sure that you are getting what you paid for. If there are issues, they will take care of you. I think the only the risk in this early adoption with A-P is not that it will be a bad product, but that you might have some minor bugs to work through with them. Fortunately your CEM60EC mount is working for you so this shouldn't be a huge issue if anything needs tweaking.

Edited by ezwheels, 22 February 2020 - 04:44 PM.

• Christopher Erickson, John O'Grady and johnsoda like this

#15 Gleason

Gleason

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

It's simple.  Get on the list and wait. Wait for AP to contact you for a deposit and wait some more.    At this point, if you are not on the list now for the Mach 2, you are not going to get one for a long time.  And note that many on the list currently got on it over a year ago, and AP is filling the old Mach 1 waiting list first.    AP is doing another production run and there is a long list of folks on the "notification list" already.  That's just the reality of things with AP.  BTW, it's not like AP is the only company selling mounts.  There are several very good options.  The Mach 2 may be overkill for 90% of the dreamers.   

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

#16 madcity

madcity

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: WI, USA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:18 AM

The 10 pound weight gain in the Mach 2 will keep it off my list. (For the first time I'm feeling my age...) I work strictly portable and that weight gain means a number of things might have to be replaced or modified - at least, that would have to be considered.

Don't get me wrong - the absolute encoders make me drool. But my Mach 1 will suit me fine. 

Though I would love it. I might spray paint my black Mach 1 white and pretend it's a 2 … smile.gif 

• StephenW, Doug D., psandelle and 4 others like this

#17 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

Seems a reasonable approach to take in this situation. Of all the companies in this Hobby that I can think of, A-P is probably the best to buy from when considering a product 'on the bleeding edge'. In my experience, they will get it right and make sure that you are getting what you paid for. If there are issues, they will take care of you. I think the only the risk in this early adoption with A-P is not that it will be a bad product, but that you might have some minor bugs to work through with them. Fortunately your CEM60EC mount is working for you so this shouldn't be a huge issue if anything needs tweaking.

I'm expecting a Mach 2 hopefully in March 2020.  I thought about the possibility of issues and refinements down the road and I came to a very simple realization.  The Mach 2 is a CNC machine that you point north.  Then, software specific to astronomy takes over.  It's really that simple.  How much can you improve?  What can break?  The technology being implemented has been around for a long time in very hostile environments.  The Mach 2 has no gears to break or oil.  It's a brushless motor with a belt.  So, this design is simple from a mechanical standpoint.  The precision is crazy accurate.  Again, think of how precise a CNC machine is.  Then, the fewer parts you have the less things can break.  If I have an issue, it's the head weight.  I wish the head separated becoming 2 pieces to make it easier to move.  Sadly, none of us are getting any younger.  

I think any issue that comes up will be software related and solved using updates.  Astro Physics has a lot of experience making mounts and I'm sure that they used all that experience to make the Mach 2 the reality it is today.  I can't imagine them missing anything on this mount.  

Edited by Rick Socarras, 24 February 2020 - 06:47 PM.

#18 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

BLASPHEMY...shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Sez the guy in the bathrobe.

LOL! I'm sorry Dennis, but your avatar makes it hard to take you seriously. LOL!

#19 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

One thing that did concern me is the following.  AP sells extended temperature encoders on their other products.  I was worried about whether the standard encoders on the Mach2 would hold up at lower temperatures.  Roland says on the AP forum that he has used the standard encoders down to -15F (!) with no problems.  Kind of makes me wonder why they sell the extended-temperature ones.  I wouldn’t hazard my other equipment at those kind of temperatures, and -15F does happen here in SW Ohio, but it’s very rare.  Anyway, I’d say +10F is my absolute limit, and that’s pretty rare that I’ll do that.  I image remotely from inside, but I do have to set up, and single digits is just too cold for that.  Another thing pointed out is that you can, in fact, order extended-temperature encoders for the Mach2 - it’s just not on their website yet.  Based on the other products, it’s a few hundred bucks more.

#20 dr.who

dr.who

Hubble

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

If you are imaging at below -15F then odds are you are working on a research project in a truly harsh environment like here:

https://astro-physic...ipph/antarctica

• Christopher Erickson, rgsalinger, psandelle and 1 other like this

#21 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

I thought I had some heavy frost on my stuff last week!

If I’m imaging at -15F, my wife has permission to commit me.

• mikefulb likes this

#22 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:40 PM

I wouldn’t hazard my other equipment at those kind of temperatures, and -15F does happen here in SW Ohio, but it’s very rare.  Anyway, I’d say +10F is my absolute limit, and that’s pretty rare that I’ll do that.  I image remotely from inside, but I do have to set up, and single digits is just too cold for that.  Another thing pointed out is that you can, in fact, order extended-temperature encoders for the Mach2 - it’s just not on their website yet.  Based on the other products, it’s a few hundred bucks more.

From the ap-gto user group, Roland clarified that if you have the standard encoders and the temperature gets too low, it doesn't damage anything at all.  It's just that the output from the read head LED gets low enough that the encoders don't get a strong signal.  In that case, the mount just keeps working, but without the benefit of the encoders.  When the temperature warms up, normal operation resumes.

Also, I believe that Marj clarified that they do have the extended temperature encoders in stock, if someone opts for them.

• Hawkdl2 likes this

#23 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

Has anyone here who was notified that they could reserve one on the first run received theirs?

#24 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:46 AM

I thought I had some heavy frost on my stuff last week!

If I’m imaging at -15F, my wife has permission to commit me.

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Michael

#25 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:43 AM

One thing that did concern me is the following.  AP sells extended temperature encoders on their other products.  I was worried about whether the standard encoders on the Mach2 would hold up at lower temperatures.  Roland says on the AP forum that he has used the standard encoders down to -15F (!) with no problems.  Kind of makes me wonder why they sell the extended-temperature ones.  I wouldn’t hazard my other equipment at those kind of temperatures, and -15F does happen here in SW Ohio, but it’s very rare.  Anyway, I’d say +10F is my absolute limit, and that’s pretty rare that I’ll do that.  I image remotely from inside, but I do have to set up, and single digits is just too cold for that.  Another thing pointed out is that you can, in fact, order extended-temperature encoders for the Mach2 - it’s just not on their website yet.  Based on the other products, it’s a few hundred bucks more.

The cost for the for the extended temperature option is trivial in comparison to the total price for the mount. It is $300 for the upgrade. I requested the upgrade.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics