•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mach2 waiting list

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
579 replies to this topic

#351 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:25 PM

If any of you has started to notice bad weather because of your new Mach2 and are already starting to hate it and cuss it, please contact me. I will happily take it off of your hands. 

I have an observatory in the desert, it does not rain there. I can truly put it to good use!!

CS!

Sorry :) My weather has cleared up nicely.  (92883).

I want to try to make a mount model tonight.  Software seems a bit overwhelming but I'll eventually get it going.

#352 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Voyager 1

• Loc: United States

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:40 PM

Sorry :) My weather has cleared up nicely. (92883).

I want to try to make a mount model tonight. Software seems a bit overwhelming but I'll eventually get it going.

It's pretty straightforward once you use it a few times.

#353 Derek (VE7RE)

Derek (VE7RE)

Explorer 1

• Loc: Delta, B.C. Canada

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:58 PM

My plan for Mach 2 was to use mostly from permanent pier with small/mid-size (less than 50-lb) imaging loads. I own a Mach 1 and was on Mach 2 list relatively early (3rd day that it was open in April 2019) and no call from A-P for confirmation of interest or deposit yet. Not sure if I’d be contacted in 2020 the ways things are going. However I’ve found comfort in spending my astronomy budget $$ elsewhere since Mach 2 wasn’t ready. 

Dave

Yes you need to spend this years budget before the end of Dec or they take the money away. Fortunately the New budget funds get released Jan 1st (grin)

.......sorry, couldn’t resist

#354 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Apollo

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:01 PM

I want to try to make a mount model tonight.  Software seems a bit overwhelming but I'll eventually get it going.

Watching with curiousity. Please keep us posted on how it differs with 10Micron modeling please! And of course how do those two compare in general. Thanks!

#355 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:03 PM

My packages have arrived, yippee!!

#356 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:19 PM

My packages have arrived, yippee!!

Very cool!  I am setting mine up tonight. Very clear skies with some excellent transparency.  I'll *try* to livestream it so you can all have something to laugh at.

#357 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:47 PM

Very cool!  I am setting mine up tonight. Very clear skies with some excellent transparency.  I'll *try* to livestream it so you can all have something to laugh at.

My setup will include side by side refractors. One of the saddles was not shipped, it is out of stock.

#358 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

• Loc: WA

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:12 PM

Sorry smile.gif My weather has cleared up nicely.  (92883).

My weather have also discovered that I don't have the pier plate to put the mount on yet. So it's clearing up.

The only company out there that's slower to ship than Astro-Physics is Dan's Pier plates... While I was shopping for mounts and not quite sure what I wanted yet I ordered a bunch of different pier plates from Dan's for different mounts - AP-GEM, 10 Micron, HEQ8 - just in case. Now I have my Mach2GTO, but still no pier adapter plates and won't have any for another 4 weeks. (I luckily have the bottom plate from my CGX-L still).

So my weekend project is to CNC a temporary AP-GEM plate out of 3/8" Aluminum. Luckily I found a ADATRI already.

#359 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

A local machine shop is a great thing to have.  I need to take my top plate, which they made for me, back to them and have holes drilled and tapped for the AP adapter.  I could do it myself but would probably not drill it straight. :)

#360 dhaval

dhaval

Vanguard

• Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:45 PM

Sorry smile.gif My weather has cleared up nicely.  (92883).

Software is very simple actually (guessing you're talking about APCC Pro?)..

My offer still stands, if you get frustrated by the software, I can take it off your hands grin.gif smile.gif

CS!

NOTE: Enjoy your mount and the wonderful weather that you have.

#361 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:32 PM

One small victory, the ADATRI fits nicely in the existing Dan's pier plate (from the AP-900). I am imaging with the other rig tonight so assembling the Mach-2 will take place tomorrow.

#362 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Apollo

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:36 PM

I'll *try* to livestream it so you can all have something to laugh at.

Let us know when this happen! waytogo.gif

#363 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:17 AM

One small victory, the ADATRI fits nicely in the existing Dan's pier plate (from the AP-900). I am imaging with the other rig tonight so assembling the Mach-2 will take place tomorrow.

Is there any chance that the 3 aluminum spacers between the two plates from Dan line up directly with the 3 holes on the ADATRI?

i.e. Without needing the AP-GEM plate?

#364 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:22 AM

*** Edit:  Here is an unlisted video (unboxing).  I may or may not edit this video and re-upload with some better production but for now I just wanted to something quick and get it out there.

Here ya go!  https://youtu.be/QhOWkv9rzLE

Watched your video - it was very helpful!

Couple of questions:

a) Which insurance company do you have that allows for a rider on astro equipment? I tried my best with Liberty Mutual but they only want to insure it as general household content.

b) You mentioned initially there wasn't any screws included that mounted the mount to the ADATRI plate. Did you finally find them or what did you have to use?

Edited by deonb, 19 December 2020 - 06:23 AM.

#365 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:02 AM

Is there any chance that the 3 aluminum spacers between the two plates from Dan line up directly with the 3 holes on the ADATRI?

i.e. Without needing the AP-GEM plate?

Unfortunately no. You need the AP-GEM plate.

35 Days Lead Time...ugh.

Edited by SeymoreStars, 19 December 2020 - 11:16 AM.

#366 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

Posted 19 December 2020 - 12:12 PM

Watched your video - it was very helpful!

Couple of questions:

a) Which insurance company do you have that allows for a rider on astro equipment? I tried my best with Liberty Mutual but they only want to insure it as general household content.

b) You mentioned initially there wasn't any screws included that mounted the mount to the ADATRI plate. Did you finally find them or what did you have to use?

State Farm.  You can also insure your equipment through the companies that insure photography equipment.  But State Farm has been great for me.  I even had to use it one time when my optical tube (14" EdgeHD) wasn't clamped correctly in the saddle and fell and broke.  They simply asked me to send it to someone who sells telescopes and get them to submit a note that it was non-repairable.  Then they simply paid for a replacement.

Wasn't a problem at all.  

#367 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:20 PM

mach2 1

Next step connect electronics.

Register free copy of APCC PRO.

#368 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:28 PM

I see clouds in that photo...

#369 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:44 PM

I see clouds in that photo...

Always. I have to run to the hardware store for a threaded rod, but consulted with the weather forecast before leaving.

Last night there was a break I was able to get 6 hours on Sh2-261.

#370 MJB87

MJB87

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:59 PM

So my Mach2 has arrived!  Of course, it was delivered by UPS two days early and I wasn't there to sign for it, or to prove to the driver that I was around. (I'm 100 miles away at the moment.)

So what I did was monitor the driver arriving on my security cameras and when he was in the driveway facing the garage door, I opened it remotely.  He got the hint, put it in the garage and then I closed the door remotely as he was getting ready to leave. So it is snug and secure and awaiting my arrival.

Smart driver.

#371 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:30 PM

Because Dan's 12inch pier plate is wide and the ADATRI is narrow, there was no nice way of attaching the CP5 holder. A 1/4-20 threaded rod, lock washers and bolts to the rescue.

20201219 150924

20201219 151631

Edited by SeymoreStars, 19 December 2020 - 03:35 PM.

#372 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:01 PM

So what I did was monitor the driver arriving on my security cameras and when he was in the driveway facing the garage door, I opened it remotely.  He got the hint, put it in the garage and then I closed the door remotely as he was getting ready to leave.

You do what you have to do :)

Congrats!

#373 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:17 PM

So my Mach2 has arrived!  Of course, it was delivered by UPS two days early and I wasn't there to sign for it, or to prove to the driver that I was around. (I'm 100 miles away at the moment.)

So what I did was monitor the driver arriving on my security cameras and when he was in the driveway facing the garage door, I opened it remotely.  He got the hint, put it in the garage and then I closed the door remotely as he was getting ready to leave. So it is snug and secure and awaiting my arrival.

Smart driver.

Smart Mach-2 owner.

#374 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:37 PM

Steve, congratulations with the new mount! Looks great on the pier inside the Observatory! Your observatory looks big. Two piers?

#375 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

Posted 19 December 2020 - 08:18 PM

She's alive!!

It's certainly easy to upgrade from an AP-900 CP4 to a Mach-2 CP5, relatively speaking. As soon as the thought came to polar align the mount thick overcast clouds rolled in. Oh well glad to be at this point and my heart goes out to those having to wait for additional parts from Dan's pier plates and the like.

Capture1
Capture2

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics