•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mach2 waiting list

• Please log in to reply
559 replies to this topic

#401 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:11 PM

Great. My email arrived a little after the mount as well. Glad it has all worked out.

#402 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

• Loc: WA

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:12 PM

Do you mean the APCC Pro license?  It comes to you via an email.

Got it. It wasn't automatic for me - I emailed them and they sent me the key.

#403 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:35 AM

Unfortunately no. You need the AP-GEM plate.

35 Days Lead Time...ugh.

Actually... you don't smile.gif.  Just 3x 5/16" screws.

I'm sure it will be more stable once there is an AP-GEM under it, but it will do for the next month until I get one:

Adatri.jpg

• SeymoreStars and teashea like this

#404 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:03 AM

One very minor glitch with my new Mach2 setup.  Since this is a very tall setup I opted for a 10" ATS pier, with a pier plate and the ADATRI adapter.  The bracket that holds the GTOCP5 attaches via one of the three 1" thumbscrews to the ADATRI plate. But there isn't sufficient clearance for the bracket with the GTOCP5 to hang over the ATS pier. I'll need to dig up a 3" 1/4-20 thumbscrew and a 2" spacer to make it all work. Not a huge problem but just thought I should advise others who may be in the same situation.

• teashea likes this

#405 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:15 AM

I'm sure it will be more stable once there is an AP-GEM under it, but it will do for the next month until I get one:

attachicon.gifAdatri.jpg

I am glad you don't need Dan's AP-GEM plate. My base plate however is Dan's 12" Pier Top Plate and the AP-GEM plate is required.

https://www.pierplat...ducts_2600.html

Capture1

• dmdouglass, deonb and teashea like this

#406 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:37 AM

attachicon.gifAdatri.jpg

What bottom plate is that?

• teashea likes this

#407 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:51 PM

What bottom plate is that?ider 

It's Dan's 8" Diameter 1/2" Thick Pier Top Plate that I got with my previous CGX/CGX-L Pier Top Base Kit.

I only have the AP-GEM adapter on order from Dan, since I already have that one. It seems to be the same on all of his pier kits.

• SeymoreStars and teashea like this

#408 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:51 AM

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken...

I tried with 82 lbs of counterweight fastened at the top of the arm near the mount (countering 60 lbs of scope). It was perfectly in balance, but I couldn't get the mount to track at all - it draws loops instead of stars as the motor settles, fall back, and then the encoder detects the fault and fixes it:

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.41.23 PM.png

So I moved down to 72 lbs of counterweight, but midway down the arm, and rearranged the wiring from the top of the scope to the bottom. The rebalancing made a HUGE difference.  The below is 10 minutes unguided at 2800mm.

(The stars are bloated due to poor seeing, but they're not elongated).

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.33.33 PM.png

Edited by deonb, 24 December 2020 - 02:19 AM.

• dmdouglass, mmalik, SeymoreStars and 4 others like this

#409 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:57 AM

Hi deonb,

Try contacting AP directly and they will help you figure out what is happening.  They are really nice folks.

Edited by Dean J., 24 December 2020 - 11:58 AM.

• Christopher Erickson and teashea like this

#410 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:01 PM

Take this question to the AP-GTO forum on Groups.io. Roland will personally help you out. 

• Christopher Erickson likes this

#411 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:27 PM

Or call them. Nice folks to talk to on the phone.

• Christopher Erickson and rockstarbill like this

#412 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:24 PM

Just received an email from Astro-Physics saying my Mach2, for which I mailed a deposit in early October, is delayed until March due to supply chain issues with the encoders.

• teashea likes this

#413 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:35 PM

Just received an email from Astro-Physics saying my Mach2, for which I mailed a deposit in early October, is delayed until March due to supply chain issues with the encoders.

Ugh that sucks, sorry to hear it.

#414 Derek (VE7RE)

Derek (VE7RE)

Explorer 1

• Loc: Delta, B.C. Canada

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:01 PM

I think the silver lining is that Astro-Physics is not going to send you some "Just get them out the door" mount that may be expected from some other manufacturers during a new product release. That just would not happen with AP.

You know when you receive it it's going to be what you would expect from them. It will be perfect and it will work exactly as you expect it should and you will love it.

Sorry hear that, but I wish "I" was waiting 3 months for such a wonderful piece of equipment. (grin)

......It will be worth the wait. Please do let us know when yours arrives so we can all share in your joy.

Happy New Year

• Christopher Erickson and teashea like this

#415 cougarone

cougarone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Audobon and Paupack, PA

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:40 AM

I am on the bottom of the list. Luckily I have an AP1100 n GM811G ( love the portability from house to patio all assembled)to keep me busy.

#416 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:01 PM

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken...

I tried with 82 lbs of counterweight fastened at the top of the arm near the mount (countering 60 lbs of scope). It was perfectly in balance, but I couldn't get the mount to track at all - it draws loops instead of stars as the motor settles, fall back, and then the encoder detects the fault and fixes it.

Following back up on this. I spoke to Roland over on the ap-gto group and he gave me a tuning command that now allows my mount to work flawlessly with 82lbs of counterweight mounted at the top and the loops are gone.

My Mach2GTO scoffs at your "dont go over 2/3rd of maximum payload for imaging" rule smile.gif.

Having said that, I'm working on getting everything a bit lighter, but good to know that even at extremes the unguided performance of this mount is now rock solid.

Edited by deonb, 30 December 2020 - 10:03 PM.

• Christopher Erickson, whwang and teashea like this

#417 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:05 PM

Would that be a terminal command, Deon?

#418 starbuckin

starbuckin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:13 AM

Is the waiting list effectively cleared now?

I was able to order a a Mach2GTO from Woodland Hills a couple of weeks ago. No pre-order - my wife just went to their website and found it in stock, so I ordered it and received it last week. I was actually fully expecting that WH was listing something that wasn't in stock since they did that once to me before, but nope, they called me next day, asked what weights I needed, and AP drop-shipped it a few days after.

I thought it was a lucky one-off fluke and I got one that someone bailed on. However, I saw twice thereafter that they list a Mach2GTO as "In Stock", which then goes out again a few hours later.

So is the waiting list cleared and AP is just selling direct stock now?

Thanks @deonb, I got on the AP list in the spring, but when I saw your post, I thought I'd give WH a try. Sure enough I got shipping info the next day. It's arriving tomorrow!!! I've been scrambling to get all the accessories I need, since I wasn't expecting to be notified for several months.

• deonb likes this

#419 cougarone

cougarone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Audobon and Paupack, PA

Posted 03 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

I am going to keep checking WH site weekly (daily) as it says more on the way for the MACH2.

• 130FeetDeep likes this

#420 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 03 January 2021 - 03:55 PM

I have seen the term "More on the way" from other vendors of other astronomical products to mean that the item will be in stock when the next batch is delivered. That could mean either a long or short wait, but WH could probably clarify what it means in this case.

#421 130FeetDeep

130FeetDeep

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:51 PM

I am going to keep checking WH site weekly (daily) as it says more on the way for the MACH2.

My guess is that means they have received their initial allotment and now are in the long line with everyone else. Many vendors ordered 4-5 when the announcement came knowing they would sell everyone immediately. Once that allotment is gone, the wait is likely a ton longer for batch 2.

#422 deonb

deonb

Ranger 4

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:41 AM

Note that I had to get a standard temp instead of an extended temp one. The extended temp ones are apparently on a much longer wait.

I figured if my temp ever drops to -15F where that becomes an issue my observatory dome would be frozen shut anyway.

#423 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:05 PM

I assume you can still use the mount with the standard temp encoders if you disable them when it gets too cold. 

#424 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:38 PM

I assume you can still use the mount with the standard temp encoders if you disable them when it gets too cold. 

I don’t think so.

#425 dhaval

dhaval

Vanguard

• Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:07 PM

My guess is that means they have received their initial allotment and now are in the long line with everyone else. Many vendors ordered 4-5 when the announcement came knowing they would sell everyone immediately. Once that allotment is gone, the wait is likely a ton longer for batch 2.

So, I did take the bait and called WH today. They have obviously run out of Mach2s. I even inquired about AP1100, but they obviously didn't have those as well. 

At this point, my guess is, if you have been notified of one, then you will most likely get yours as part of the current batch. For those that want the Mach2 and aren't part of the current run, my guess is, they are going to be in for a long wait (unless one shows up used). Maybe their best bet would be to either get in line for the AP1100 or 10Micron may be another option (they too have a wait list right now, but their wait time seems to be within reason). 

CS!

Edited by dhaval, 04 January 2021 - 09:07 PM.

• teashea likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics