•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A happy ending!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:54 PM

Recently I bought a Meade 2044 tube (it had the single form arm bracket) that was inexplicably and unexpectedly missing the primary mirror. Just as I was considering throwing the thing out or scrapping it for parts Bill Vorce listed a 107D spotter here on CN with a broken optical window.

The 107D and the 204x series of SCTs share identical components except for the secondary and front plate. On the 107D the front plate is a flat optical window and the secondary has a Mangin corrector - the 204x scopes, being SCTs, have a Schmidt corrector and a slightly aspheric secondary.

Since the primary in both scopes should be a perfect 4" f/2 sphere and the secondary is supposed to be hand-figured to match the corrector, I figure the image has a pretty good shot at being decent, and I've spent almost nothing on this little scope to begin with. Just needs a finder bracket (already have the original finder) and a tripod mounting plate.

2044fixed1s.jpg

2044fixed2s.jpg

Do I really need it when I have an ETX and 4" tabletop Dob? Nah, not really. But I'm really glad that I managed to salvage two ruined scopes and make something useful. Maybe something great. Who knows.

• markb, Wisconsin Steve, dave brock and 18 others like this

#2 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

That's a great find and a second life for such a good 4" scope. Let us know how the "new" scope comes through. 

Clear Skies!

Guido

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#3 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

Bravo........

Saving two scopes from the landfill = awesome

Finding new home for the rescued scope 

for someone who wants/needs it = priceless

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 13 February 2020 - 10:33 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#4 G-Tower

G-Tower

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:22 AM

Have you tested them yet?

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

Coolness! I have 3 2045s (LX, LX3, and a spotter) and a 107D and they make fine little scopes once the colimation is zeroed in. It's fantastic that you were able to salvage a 2044.

Neat stuff!
  • bbqediguana likes this

#6 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

Didn't see this before I posted to your other post about this scope.  

I wonder, though, if Mizar figured the secondary to match the other components like Celestron alleges they did.  Meade didn't do anything but package and sell the 4" ers.  

-Tim.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics