•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Particles between lenses of a new SW Esprit 120 Triplet

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 dr.who

dr.who

Hubble

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:33 PM

Bill beat me to it. They are not assembled in a clean room. And FWIW Skywatcher USA is one heck of a top flight vendor! I have always been impressed by them and am a big fan of their products because of how they stand behind them and work to make it right if it is something they did wrong. The other vendor that really impresses me when it comes to customer support is Explore Scientific.

#27 aristo

aristo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:08 AM

FWIW, I highly doubt that much of any of the consumer-level scopes are assembled in an actual "clean room" due to the expense.  Maybe for military specs or very demanding commercial specs, but for consumer equipment?  I think doubtful.  Anyway, at the bottom of this link are the various standards ratings for clean rooms - https://www.cleanair...tions-class.php

Even if the telescope is not assembled in a clean room  particles of that size ,cannot be accepted. The tube surface should undergo cleaning before Assy.  Assembly must be done carefully, and quality controlled.

#28 AdamJ

AdamJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:31 PM

Some big over reactions here from people replying. Normally these are on the exterior surfaces, the lens cell is certainly assembled in a clean room but I would bet that the scope is not. Why would you? It going to get more dust on it during the first 6 hours of use than that in any case. When I got my esprit there was dust. I just put it on the mount and star tested it. It tested well, I'll not even bother to look where the dust is. I mean what am I going to do, send a great objective lens back to be possibly replaced by a perfectly clean one that star tests poorly? Have it dissasembled and cleaned and ruin the collimation or worse. No not me....
  • Steve Allison likes this

#29 Dougal

Dougal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:16 PM

I don’t think it’s an over reaction to suggest that a brand new 3k plus telescope should not look like the pics the OP attached. Those pics showed more than the normal “dust”. I’m glad the particles were on the back of the lens and that the issue was resolved quickly. I stand by my statement that I would have sent it back (based on the pics posted).
  • mikefulb and BFaucett like this

#30 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:03 AM

+1

#31 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

Some big over reactions here from people replying. Normally these are on the exterior surfaces, the lens cell is certainly assembled in a clean room but I would bet that the scope is not. 

Agree that this was a total over-reaction.  There are ways to clean the dust off of the rear of a lens without taking the telescope apart.

I doubt that the lens is assembled in a clean room.  If anything, it may be assembled on a laminar flow work bench, but its not a clean room akin to the type that you would see in a laboratory environment.  

Edited by peleuba, 19 February 2020 - 09:24 AM.

• m9x18 and Steve Allison like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics