•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion widefield - modded t5i "first light" or oops...

astrophotography dslr imaging
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:12 PM

I know its not really traditional to post unfinished / test images, but I was wondering why even with a 12nm h-alpha filter I was getting 4 minute sub exposures without trashing the frame. For whatever reason, probably the 2 hours of sleep if that I got last night and work, I changed the preset ISO from 1600 back to 100, then proceeded to freeze for a good half out in the 20 or lower temps with snow on the ground and managed to have my tripod semi freeze to the ground a bit.

I figured something was up when I plopped down the star adventurer and just basically went for it. LOL lol.gifblush.gif

4 min (and change) sub exposure at iso 100 with canon 50mm f/1.4 USM lens at f/2.8 and t5i

EDIT: I am still trying to figure out how to get a color image from using the h-alpha filter. Usually split the channels and use the red. Using gimp, rawtherapee

Attached Thumbnails

• testfail.jpg

Edited by wxcloud, 13 February 2020 - 10:14 PM.

• rgreenberg2000 likes this

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:25 PM

Too bad it wasn't an "ISO- less" Nikon....wink.gif

#3 wxcloud

wxcloud

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

Too bad it wasn't an "ISO- less" Nikon....wink.gif

I almost went Nikon hunting when I went looking for a modified camera, biggest factors of opting for the t5i was I have a load of Canon lenses and I recently got the h-alpha clip filter for my apsc bodies.

I'm actually curious about Nikon and if I get the larger rig up and going, the eq-6 R pro and Celestron 80ed where I can use 2” filters.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics