•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally the 2x54 ultimate sky roamer

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#276 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:58 AM

From a discussion with someone who has the Helios, the Orion are much wider. I got mine from OPT after I didn’t know when I could it locally (U.K.).

Peter

#277 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:59 AM

I got mine from OPT as I couldn’t find out when Orion would have it in stock in the EU. Talki got someone who has the Helios, the field is much narrower than the Orion.

Peter

#278 ph2

ph2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Aalborg, Denmark

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

Orion 2x54 aren't available in Europe, or they don't ship to Greece (I found a site in the Netherlands that has them for 150 euros, but they ignore my country).

I bought a 2x54 from the UK (before Brexit came into effect).

Here is the link:  https://uk.telescope...roductId=132438

#279 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:12 PM

Too late now, they are not in EU. It will be like buying from US or China, so I should search for best price and shipping. I hoped German or Dutch shops would have it.

#280 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:51 AM

Orion 2x54 aren't available in Europe, or they don't ship to Greece (I found a site in the Netherlands that has them for 150 euros, but they ignore my country). Is Helios a viable option?

Maybe Amazon can deliver the Orion to you?

https://www.amazon.d...rds=2x54&sr=8-1

#281 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:30 AM

"Dit item kan niet worden verzonden naar jouw geselecteerde bezorglocatie.", it says.

This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location.

#282 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:39 AM

"Dit item kan niet worden verzonden naar jouw geselecteerde bezorglocatie.", it says.

This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location.

Weird, in the same EU with free trade of goods. Like an item from California cannot be delivered to e.g. Delaware. Even herard about that ?

Anyway, I just ordered this item for $150 from amazon.de.

#283 eyespy

eyespy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC Canada

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:08 PM

Hi,

Having recently received an SVbony 2.1 x 42 mm binocular that I am thoroughly enjoying, I have just ordered an Orion 2 x 54 mm binocular.  The purpose is not to compare them and return one but rather to keep them both so that I can share the experience with my grandkids etc.  It will be interesting though to be able to compare them at the same time.  As noted in the SVbony binocular thread, I have so far only been able to briefly view Orion, the Hyades and the Pleiades through a hole in the clouds and the views were very good.

Now looking forward to the receipt of the Orions.

Doug......

#284 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:13 PM

I have the Orion one incoming for this week. Can't wait to see what views this will give. I like that it's almost pocketable. I see me taking this lots of places.

• Psionmark likes this

#285 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:04 AM

I have the Orion one incoming for this week. Can't wait to see what views this will give. I like that it's almost pocketable. I see me taking this lots of places.

The SVBony's are definitely pocketable - that was one of the main reasons I got them, to take with me when walking the dog smile.gif

• richsvt likes this

#286 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:35 AM

I got them a few weeks ago.

Indeed, it is 'enhanced naked eye', under a Bortle 5 sky I see Uranus, which I normally see with naked eye under Bortle 3 or lower.

And I made eyecups from an old bicycle inner tube sticked together with superglue and can be easily detached from this device as the elasticity of rubber straps it around the eyepieces. That enhances much : no stray light.

orion-2x54.jpg

Edited by skysurfer, 02 February 2021 - 06:37 AM.

• ihf likes this

#287 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:48 PM

Just got the Orion today and as it figures, it is totally cloudy. No clear skies in sight for days.

Did some tests in the backyard and the terrestrial clarity and views were good.

Just waiting to get some nice dark-ish skies to see what they can deliver.

#288 Devilish Kidney

Devilish Kidney

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The south of Brazil

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:31 PM

Love this topic. I'm about to buy the Svbony 2.1x42 from Aliexpress. I would prefer to get the 2x54 but right now it's almost twice the price over there.. I plan on getting that one in the future if I see a nice discount. I love wide field binoculars and can't wait to try one of these.

• Psionmark likes this

#289 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:55 PM

Love this topic. I'm about to buy the Svbony 2.1x42 from Aliexpress. I would prefer to get the 2x54 but right now it's almost twice the price over there.. I plan on getting that one in the future if I see a nice discount. I love wide field binoculars and can't wait to try one of these.

I was out with mine last night. I was doing the “count the stars you can see naked eye in Orion” survey thing they’re doing here - only counted a mere 7 naked eye (excluding the 4 corners) but tried the little 2x42’s afterwards as a comparison and lost count after 30, which I think speaks volumes.

Totally delighted with my purchase
  • KennyJ, Devilish Kidney and eyeoftexas like this

#290 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:52 AM

I did the same with mine, fogged up from my breath rather too fast to enable an accurate count, definitely 40 vs less than half naked eye.
Peter

#291 Devilish Kidney

Devilish Kidney

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The south of Brazil

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

That's great to hear Psionmark and PEterW. It makes me a bit anxious to get mine and try them out for myself. I bought it today and I think it should be here in 2 or 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics