•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally the 2x54 ultimate sky roamer

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#51 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:43 AM

Are these things shipping yet then??
Peter

#52 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:13 PM

Just received mine today. Fit and finish is first class. Case is pretty basic but works. I often wondered if I had the time to build my own, but at this level of execution for a lower price than the average wide-field Chinese eyepiece, why?

Just took it out in the daytime and I was able to merge images with ease. Very nice and clear.

As the one page instruction say, with the Galilean design, best to keep eyes centered and rotate the head if you want to see more sky. There will be distortion towards the edges of the FoV. 

Nicely weighted feel as well. If this works well, it will be one of those max bang for buck astronomy accessories. Can't wait to test it in the night sky.

Edited by ratnamaravind, 20 May 2020 - 06:04 PM.

• wrnchhead likes this

#53 JimH123

JimH123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Morgan Hill, California

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

Just received mine today. Fit and finish is first class. Case is pretty basic but works. I often wondered if I had the time to build my own, but at this level of execution for a lower price than the average wide-field Chinese eyepiece, why?

Just took it out in the daytime and I was able to merge images with ease. Very nice and clear.

As the one page instruction say, with the Galilean design, best to keep eyes centered and rotate the head if you want to see more sky. There will be distortion towards the edges of the FoV. 

Nicely weighted feel as well. If this works well, it will be one of those max bang for buck astronomy accessories. Can't wait to test it in the night sky.

Do these have filter threads?  The picture sort of looks like it does.  But can't be certain.  And if it has filter threads, what size are they?

I have the Kasai 2.3 x 40, and they do not have filter threads.  But considering that I have too much astigmatism, I can't get a clear view without glasses, so probably no sense in getting the Orion 2 x 54 binoculars.

Edited by JimH123, 20 May 2020 - 07:51 PM.

#54 ssantia

ssantia

Explorer 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:35 PM

Hello JimH123,

They are threaded m56x0.75. If you need an adapter for 48mm filters you could use this:

Blue Fireball M48x0.75 Female to M56x0.75 Male Thread Adapter # M-11 from AgenaAstro. 

hope that helps.

Sam

Edited by ssantia, 20 May 2020 - 08:51 PM.

• ratnamaravind likes this

#55 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Ranger 4

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:32 PM

Hello JimH123,

They are threaded m56x0.75. If you need an adapter for 48mm filters you could use this:

Blue Fireball M48x0.75 Female to M56x0.75 Male Thread Adapter # M-11 from AgenaAstro. 

hope that helps.

Sam

Ouch- just those thread adapters will cost a third of the total cost of the bino! Wonder if there is a cheaper option.

#56 JimH123

JimH123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Morgan Hill, California

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:15 PM

Ouch- just those thread adapters will cost a third of the total cost of the bino! Wonder if there is a cheaper option.

The problem is the 56x0.75mm size is not standard.  If you try googling "56mm step down ring" in hopes of finding something of a standard size, it doesn't find anything.  If you search eBay for "56mm step down ring", the only thing I find is 0.7mm pitch, not 0.75mm.  There is nothing else available.

#57 ssantia

ssantia

Explorer 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:29 PM

I hear you. Imagine on top of that adding two CLS filters.

That was an add-on of $200 plus. Way more than the binos.

The price you pay for being the guinea pig.

Sam

P.S. At least I can use the filters for more than just that.

Edited by ssantia, 20 May 2020 - 10:32 PM.

#58 redhawk

redhawk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

Glad to see these come down the pike. They have always been most appealing to me, since I first saw the ad for Blue Planet Optics Constellation Binoculars. A pair is heading my way, and  as I already have the Kaisai and the Vixen, It should be an interesting comparison!

• ianatcn and ihf like this

#59 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Ranger 4

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

We have a winner! Drove 15 min to a bortle 6 sky with these 2x54s and Fujinon 16x70s which I setup on a 3221wn tripod. With the individual focus capability, stars are nice and focused to about half the field from the center (which is where we are supposed to look).

They really just out of the way and bring out enough of the suburban sky for one to appreciate some of the hidden treasures of the sky just beyond the reach of the naked eye. Loved M44, Berenice's hair, M13, M92, and most of all just cruising the sky while sitting on top of my car's hood.

Highly recommended.

• Traveler likes this

#60 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:50 PM

I just received a pair of these Orions in the mail. At one time, I had a homemade pair of the Nikon TC2 binos but they weren't sharp in the middle due to the inability to focus them.

I had previously reviewed, in another thread, the Tento 2.3x40 as being better (for me) than the Vixen based on a few things, like being sharper overall and being able to detect stars that weren't visible in the Vixen. I also have a Kinglux 2.5x42, and, while the apparent eye relief and FOV are better than the Tento, that's the only reason that I kept it (besides it being like something $99 at the time).

On daylight views, the Orions blow the Tento and the Kinglux away. They have a very noticeably wider FOV, and noticeably much better contrast, clarity (like there is no glass present), sharpness, and color rendition. I can't wait to try these suckers out at night!

One other note - based on my views by holding the Orion over one eye and the Kinglux over the other eye, the Kinglux is actually 2x, not 2.5x as indicated; doing the same with the Tento revealed it to provide a larger image (on par with its indicated 2.3x vs. the 2x of the Orion).

Edited by aa5te, 22 May 2020 - 09:30 PM.

• jcastarz and ratnamaravind like this

#61 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:32 AM

Still waiting for mine to ship. I have been buying different rings to couple 2” filters to binoculars, camera lens, TCE2, but as you point out no 56mm. Wondering if a 55mm (which I now have a few of with a few turns of plumbing PTFE tape would do the job to hold them in place. I expect some reduction in the field as the filters are likely smaller than the lens.

Peter

#62 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:09 AM

Glad to see these come down the pike. They have always been most appealing to me, since I first saw the ad for Blue Planet Optics Constellation Binoculars. A pair is heading my way, and  as I already have the Kaisai and the Vixen, It should be an interesting comparison!

How do you rate Kasai vs Vixen? Kasai seems to be half the price and half the weight of the Vixen version...but it also looks like its a slightly different design. Are coatings comparable?

Orion, on the other hand, looks like a direct Vixen clone.

#63 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:12 AM

Optically better than both. The clone is dull in color rendering, the Vixen has poor edges, these are almost crystal clear to the edges.
Construction is good, metal frame and smooth mechanics, Maybe not as luxury as the Vixen, but I don't find anything to complain.

The 'clone' being...Omegon?

Edited by BGazing, 24 May 2020 - 07:23 AM.

#64 MikeTelescope

MikeTelescope

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:16 PM

I have been eagerly awaiting hands-on reviews of these as the shipping date kept slipping.

My main question: how do they work for eyeglass wearers? I have astigmatism in both eyes and can't enjoy any of my binoculars without them.  I only get long eye relief binoculars so that I can wear my glasses.  

#65 Passerine

Passerine

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: California SF Bay Area

Posted 27 May 2020 - 05:36 PM

In post #47 someone said the eye relief is only ~9mm.  That's pretty awful. It seems this design is not like other binoculars and it is not easy (or possible?) to allow generous eye relief.  Also, from the looks of it, there is no soft rubber to protect your glasses if you hold them against your glasses.  That could be solved by creating your own homemade rubber protectors...  I might still get one someday.  I've always been intrigued by the idea.  For that matter, why not a traditional binocular with only 3X or 4X power and a field flattener?

Dave

• MikeTelescope likes this

#66 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Ranger 4

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

I wouldn't rate them as being especially eyeglass friendly if you want to get the full 36 deg + 36 deg FoV.

I do wear glasses but not for observing. Just refocus as necessary.

At this exit pupil (even if there were such a thing for this Galilean design), corner astigmatism matters way less, since the design demands that you point your eyes forward and move your head (with the binos) if you want to see more sky.

3x or 4x power + flattener would work but not at this price point or weight for the same field of view. You just can’t have it all!

Edited by ratnamaravind, 27 May 2020 - 09:28 PM.

• ihf likes this

#67 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:06 AM

Mine are creeping through USPS. I can try with reading glasses and see how easy it would be to add some winged eyecups to them.
Peter

#68 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

I have been eagerly awaiting hands-on reviews of these as the shipping date kept slipping.

My main question: how do they work for eyeglass wearers? I have astigmatism in both eyes and can't enjoy any of my binoculars without them.  I only get long eye relief binoculars so that I can wear my glasses.  

Because these have virtual exit pupils in front of the eyepiece, there is no real eye relef.  The field of view is based on how close the eye gets to the eyepiece.  I lose field of view on the Vixens glasses v. contacts.  But again, you should be moving your head, not your eyes, to look around.  The net effect is - it doesn't matter.  You only lose field you don't look at directly.

#69 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

I have always been drawn to these but I am not sure if they are the right product for us glasses wearers.  

Eye relief is very low and the closer you get your eye the wider the view; so they are not for eyeglass wearers unless you can wear contacts for astigmatism.

#70 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:53 PM

How do you rate Kasai vs Vixen? Kasai seems to be half the price and half the weight of the Vixen version...but it also looks like its a slightly different design. Are coatings comparable?

Orion, on the other hand, looks like a direct Vixen clone.

I have both Blue Planet (Kasai) and Vixen.  TFOV is similar but the larger eye diameter of Vixen makes it easier to find exit pupil when huntinting for meteors.  The smaller eye diameter of Blue planet requires you to just aim at meteor constelation and keep your eye there (or wear hands free head device which Kasai makes or make youe own).

#71 hoof

hoof

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Monroe, WA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:58 AM

My 2x54 Orion's arrived yesterday.  I own the Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocs.  Very nice binoculars, my first experience with galilean binoculars.  The Vixens are razor sharp out to about 50% of the 50 degree or so view, then severe field curvature and astigmatism kick in.  Many have said that to use galilean binoculars, you keep your eyes aimed through the middle, and turn your head (and binoculars) to look around.  Looking around with your eyes alone doesn't work too well with these binoculars.  But I got a good sense these are high quality binoculars, and I enjoyed looking at the night sky and around my property during the day with them, as they do make it much easier to see details of things.

But I was curious about the 2x54's.  So I finally broke down and got them.  Tried them this afternoon.  OMG.  Where the Vixens were sharp to about 50% of the way out, these are sharp to nearly the edge of noticeably wider view.  The field is flat, and looking around is no problem, no obvious sign of astigmatism.  It's rare that I'm unexpectedly impressed with something, but one look outside with these, and I knew my Vixens were getting relegated to the bookshelf.  There is simply no contest, same ability to see things around my property with that extra detail, but unlike the vixens, the whole wider field is really, really good.  Another plus is the rectilinear distortion seems well controlled, slewing is really nice, while the vixens distorted a bit and feels like you are looking through a hawk's eye, with the central region wicked sharp, but the rest distorted (in comparison).

I haven't had a chance to truly put it through it's paces at night, but the moon was up tonight.  I was able to dial in a sharp moon, study the details of the various mares.  Slewing the binoculars to put the moon near the edge, and it was the same clarity.  No ghosting or weird reflections either, no problems with scatter (though can't be 100% sure due to thin clouds).  I suspect these 2x54 binoculars will work really well as constellation binoculars, looking at stars, but that will have to wait until I get a night without high-altitude clouds.  

But so far, I'm quite impressed.  I was expecting a wider field of view than my Vixens, and maybe a wider "sweet zone", but instead I got binoculars far superior to those Vixens.  It's possible the Vixens are sharper and more contrasty in the middle, I haven't done a direct compare yet, but at this point I don't care as everything you see in the new Orions is good.  Very happy.  

• Rainguy, ButterFly, ihf and 1 other like this

#72 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:41 AM

I am glad you like them! Sounds like a winner (and they are clearly cheaper than the Vixen).

Just one small caveat for people with narrow IPD: the Orion spec say they only go down to 60mm (Vixen 55mm), so try first if in doubt.

Pinac

#73 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:49 AM

As these little things gradually arrive their homes, I'm not unexpected that the good reviews keep coming through.
Now you know what I claimed is simply a truth. They just blow everything else on the market.
  • WWTech likes this

#74 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:53 AM

What do people use to hold or mount these 2x54? Is there a head mount available?

#75 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:24 AM

Still waiting for USPS :-(
I either hold my Nikon homebrew by hand or lie down and let them sit on my face. I have some eyecups to block straylight affecting the view. Interested in the scatter/off axis illumination performance as I have some lights that are hard to hide from.

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics