•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally the 2x54 ultimate sky roamer

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#101 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:52 PM

Got filter adapter from Agena.....

Use on non dominate eye....this Sirius Optic CE1 filter does a good job of enhancing nebulosity without blocking out stars; I call it my UHC Lite filter.

Polarizers and clouds are superb with these.

Edited by ButterFly, 23 June 2020 - 02:52 PM.

• Enkidu likes this

#102 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:27 PM

I’ll second that (if the skies are free enough of Milky scatter!). Nearly as much fan as trying to spot Haidinger's brush!

Peter
  • Enkidu likes this

#103 John Carlini

John Carlini

Messenger

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:17 PM

This thread was a good read and convinced me to take the plunge and order a pair for meteor hunting. However, it's currently on backorder til July...  Thanks guys for the excellent feedback!

#104 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:47 AM

Got filter adapter from Agena.....

Use on non dominate eye....this Sirius Optic CE1 filter does a good job of enhancing nebulosity without blocking out stars; I call it my UHC Lite filter.

Can you give me the link of the adapter?

#105 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:16 AM

Range it would be good for your Chinese adapter supplier to advertise on eBay so we don’t have to pay too much to add filters.
Peter

#106 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:21 AM

Just curious if "constellation binoculars" like these could be used as an aid to seeing Barnard's loop under pristine Bortle 1 conditions...

#107 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

Certainly enough field of view. Night Vision with narrow filters certainly works if you’re skies are transparent enough (even if light polluted):
Peter

#108 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:01 PM

Certainly enough field of view. Night Vision with narrow filters certainly works if you’re skies are transparent enough (even if light polluted):
Peter

The field of view is way too far off axis for narrowband filters to work.  There is a lot of vignetting.  A broader band UHC filter is more suitable.

#109 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

Had nice views of Barnards loop from an urban location through bino-NV using 3nm hydrogen filters. Seemed to work. I agree for visual you’ll be after the wider UHC

Peter

#110 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Modesto, CA USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

Just ordered a pair of 2x54 Orion's as a gift for my partner.

My spouse has been eagerly learning and exploring the constellations for about 6 months now. Sharing astronomy together has become a fantastic part of our lives. Additionally, stargazing provides us a very relaxing respite from Covid-19 worries and social isolation.

Last Xmas I purchased for her a Chandler planisphere, an Orion green laser pointer, and the excellent 'National Audubon Society Pocket Field Guide to the Constellations'.  Now she's "taken-off like a rocket", really getting into the night sky.

We use my trusty 7X50 Fujinon FMT binos frequently,  but these 2X widefields should be absolutely ideal for framing constellations and revealing fainter stars from our light-pollution compromised home location.

I'm really looking forward to seeing her smile when she receives these neat little binos  :-)

Edited by Thomas_M44, 26 June 2020 - 03:21 PM.

• Mark9473 and Rainguy like this

#111 rexowner

rexowner

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

Commented on other threads, but this one is still a "hot" thread, so I'll

throw in my 1/2 cent opinion.

Ordered the 2x54's based on this thread, and got them a few days ago.

I think it's a great product, but I am very nearsighted, and cannot achieve 

focus with my glasses off.  Chatted online with Orion, and they were very

helpful, but the bottom line was that I needed to wear my glasses.

My quick test with my glasses was that I got a 27 degree FOV vs 36 degree

spec.  This is explained by the optical design, which you can view online

at the Orion website.

Still like the product, and intend to keep it.  I can see stars that I could not

otherwise see "naked-eye", i.e. with my distance prescription.  Pretty sure

this isn't a matter of "Night Myopia" as I sprung for the Optego flippers

cited in another thread, and my distance glasses are just fine.

It's a keeper, to the extent that I'm considering getting contact lenses

to be able to use it better, and a few other reasons.

HTH.

#112 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:49 PM

The Orions are still much better than the Vixens for glasses wearers.  The Vixens have a rather large eyepiece recess whereas it's only a few mms on the Orions.  The flip side is that for non-glasses wearers, eyelash grease becomes a problem.  I am not wearing contacts for them ever again.

If your eyes' have different amounts of nearsightedness correction, glasses or contacts are a must with either.  If your eyes are too far off from each other, there will be a noticable magnification difference.

• Albie likes this

#113 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

When I got my cataract surgery on both eyes last year I got the new toric lenses that completely corrected my astigmatisms. I also got the distant focus lenses rather than mid-range or close range. I wanted to be able to use binoculars and telescopes with no eye-glasses and also drive and go to the movies (back when people could go to the movies) with no glasses. Now I just need drugstore +2 diopter readers, and don’t need glasses otherwise. I love it! And now with the pandemic, I am doing all my astronomizing at home and using binoculars a lot more. I love sitting back on the chaise or in an Adirondack chair and looking at the sky with my Binolux 7x35 Ultrawides (11° FOV). I think a pair of these Orion 2x54s would be perfect for me!

• Mr. Bill, Mark9473 and Rainguy like this

#114 donvegas

donvegas

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

These will be on my Christmas list.  Need a good pair of 8x42 first

#115 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Apollo

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:50 PM

When I got my cataract surgery on both eyes last year I got the new toric lenses that completely corrected my astigmatisms. I also got the distant focus lenses rather than mid-range or close range. I wanted to be able to use binoculars and telescopes with no eye-glasses and also drive and go to the movies (back when people could go to the movies) with no glasses. Now I just need drugstore +2 diopter readers, and don’t need glasses otherwise. I love it! And now with the pandemic, I am doing all my astronomizing at home and using binoculars a lot more. I love sitting back on the chaise or in an Adirondack chair and looking at the sky with my Binolux 7x35 Ultrawides (11° FOV). I think a pair of these Orion 2x54s would be perfect for me!

Terra, I just finished getting cataracts removed in May and June.  I went for the cheapskate procedure where insurance paid for the basics, but have no complaints at all.  Finally, binocular observing without glasses!  I have a little glare in my left eye from the brightest objects but that can probably be cured with a laser in a few months.  I have one of these 2x54 instruments on order and it should be shipped on the 24.  Looking forward to it very much.

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike 

• Terra Nova likes this

#116 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:43 AM

Received the 2x54 this Monday right before leaving for a trip to view the comet Neowise, and decided to take it along with WX.

Later I find this is one of the best decision I made. As in dark site, the comet tail shows about 20 degree dust tail and even WX can not show its full view anymore. The 2x54 can show a fantastic full view of the comet as well as much better details than naked eye. 

B6A4D9C7-87BA-439E-8711-7F3539A21A4E.jpeg

• paulsky, EverlastingSky, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#117 Pikku-iikka

Pikku-iikka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

I'm witnessing the summer night skies above me slowly turning darker while revealing more wonders. In the mean time, I'm having very enjoyable time exploring this site after over 10 years. Mostly binocular stuff.

And so I found this thread. Huh', I've never before seen stuff like these ultra wides are. And so it went, that now I have even more to wait for.

Ordered from Orion's EU site. Expect them to arrive soon, with the dark skies...

#118 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:39 PM

I should buy them before the price goes up. I also need to learn how to wear contacts.

#119 Pikku-iikka

Pikku-iikka

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:28 PM

Sorry folks, this is slightly off focus... But on (this) topic it is.

In many posts above I have marked the word 'bortle' and wondered what it means. Of course I've had some thoughts. But.

Now, after reading ^ that signature, I made the decision to boldly ask. I have to, because Google can't translate 'bortle' to Finnish, instead it suggests me that the word is Danish. Well... I could picture that! Not that I understand Danish that well. Written somewhat (because it has lot in common with Swedish [which I understand as much as English]). But spoken Danish - huh'. Something between German and Swedish, with a hot potato spinning in one's mouth.

Only joking. Danish is a great language - and a lot of great TV-series have been made in Denmark for me to enjoy.

Still, after suggesting that 'bortle' is Danish, Google translates it in Finnish as... 'bortle'. No help at all. Anybody...?

(Just spending some minutes while waiting my shipment[s] to arrive.)

Edited by Pikku-iikka, 26 July 2020 - 03:29 PM.

#120 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:41 PM

Here's a map of my local area on a Bortle map.  Underneath the map is a graphic of the Bortle scale.  John Bortle developed the darkness classification scale.

https://www.cleardar...ml?Mn=astronomy

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Bortle_scale

Rich

Edited by Rich V., 26 July 2020 - 03:44 PM.

• Pikku-iikka likes this

#121 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:43 PM

https://skyandtelesc...dark-sky-scale/

Dave

• Pikku-iikka likes this

#122 Pikku-iikka

Pikku-iikka

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

Thank you! I really thought 'bortle' was some kind of insider thingy... And as a clever thingy it seems to be, I feel a bit disappointed.

(What a silly me, not googling the word. Instead, only tried the Google translator which happened to be open in my browser. Whoah.)

#123 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

Sorry folks, this is slightly off focus... But on (this) topic it is.

In many posts above I have marked the word 'bortle' and wondered what it means. Of course I've had some thoughts. But.

Now, after reading ^ that signature, I made the decision to boldly ask. I have to, because Google can't translate 'bortle' to Finnish, instead it suggests me that the word is Danish. Well... I could picture that! Not that I understand Danish that well. Written somewhat (because it has lot in common with Swedish [which I understand as much as English]). But spoken Danish - huh'. Something between German and Swedish, with a hot potato spinning in one's mouth.

Only joking. Danish is a great language - and a lot of great TV-series have been made in Denmark for me to enjoy.

Still, after suggesting that 'bortle' is Danish, Google translates it in Finnish as... 'bortle'. No help at all. Anybody...?

(Just spending some minutes while waiting my shipment[s] to arrive.)

https://darksitefind...#4/39.00/-98.00

Dark grey is Bortle 1
Light grey is Bortle 2
Blue is Bortle 3
Green is Bortle 4
Yellow is Bortle 5
Orange is Bortle 6
Red is Bortle 7
White is Bortle 8
Pink is Bortle 9

Dark grey is pristine from light pollution.
Grey is up to 10% brighter than pristine.
Blue is 11%-33% brighter than pristine.
Green is 34%-100% brighter than pristine
Yellow is 2-3x as bright as pristine.
Orange is 3.1-9x as bright as pristine.
Climbs in factors of 3. Not sure if I'm getting it all right.

In orange, you can see the oval of M31, if there is not too much local glare. Readings are done at zenith.
In red, only the central bulge punches though. Seeing that bulge punch through a red light dome with my 7x35 binos, and knowing what I was seeing from its location in the stars, got me hooked on astronomy. No need for dust lanes yet. Straight up in 25x70, it had wings.
  • Pinac and Pikku-iikka like this

#124 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:37 AM

Don’t think John Bortle has Danish heritage, have to ask him. It’s a description of features found as the skies get darker, transparency, light pollution etc will affect. They don’t map too well to sky brightness or satellite data, youth these can give you a good estimation of better and worse areas. I have heard that a light pollution satellite might be in the design stages as current satellites aren’t great with the low light levels and switch to LED which can affect the measurements.

Peter
  • Pikku-iikka likes this

#125 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

I've never seen M31 at the darkest skies I've been to mapped as Bortle black, even when the Pleiades were shining as bright as ever at the meridian.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics