•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Asi294MC Pro with ASIAIR Pro power source question

accessories ccd equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayWisc

JayWisc

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:11 PM

I purchased the ASI294MC Pro and ASIAIR Pro from Highpoint Scientific and am waiting for it to arrive. I was wondering if I need a power cable for either of these. I am powering my EQ6R Pro Mount with the Celestron power tank 17. Not sure if I can connect the 294 to the Asiair pro and cook it that way, or do I need to plug that into my power tank? Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

#2 OrionStrider

OrionStrider

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Washington Island, WI

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:19 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but there is a lot of info on the ASIAIR Pro in the Vendors and Group Announcements forum: 

ZWO announced ASIAIR Pro - the nexgen of ASIAIR imaging platforms

#3 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

Yes, you will need to power the ASIAIR via it's 12v input.  This can come from any 12v source... your mount, your powertank, some other 12v source...

You will need to power the 294 if you want to use the camera's cooler (which you should).  This can come from one of the ASIAIR's 12v outputs, or any other 12v source.

The power supply for the 294 not only powers the camera's cooler, but will also supply power to any USB devices plugged in to the 294's usb hub. (another reason to power your 294)

Generally speaking, the design of the ASIAIR Pro is such to allow you to have only one power cable running to it, giving you the ability to run all your other 12v devices (cameras, focusers, etc) from the ASIAIR Pro.  With the ASIAIR Pro mounted on the scope, above your mount's rotational axis, thereby avoiding cable management and cord-wrap issues.

• JayWisc likes this

#4 JayWisc

JayWisc

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

Yes, you will need to power the ASIAIR via it's 12v input.  This can come from any 12v source... your mount, your powertank, some other 12v source...

You will need to power the 294 if you want to use the camera's cooler (which you should).  This can come from one of the ASIAIR's 12v outputs, or any other 12v source.

The power supply for the 294 not only powers the camera's cooler, but will also supply power to any USB devices plugged in to the 294's usb hub. (another reason to power your 294)

Generally speaking, the design of the ASIAIR Pro is such to allow you to have only one power cable running to it, giving you the ability to run all your other 12v devices (cameras, focusers, etc) from the ASIAIR Pro.  With the ASIAIR Pro mounted on the scope, above your mount's rotational axis, thereby avoiding cable management and cord-wrap issues.

Thanks for the detailed reply, David! So the ASIAIR will come with a 12v Input that will plug into my mount and then I will have to purchase a separate power connector or my 294mc to cool it correct?

Edited by JayWisc, 14 February 2020 - 11:43 PM.

#5 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:43 AM

The ASIAIR Pro comes with several 12v DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm cords.   If your mount has a 12v outlet of this type (some do, many do not) (I am not familiar with the EQ6R Pro) then you can connect ASIAIR from the mount.  You could use a 5.5mm x 2.1mm splitter cable from your power source with one leg going to the mount, one to the ASIAIR. Here is an example, shop around for cable lengths and configurations you need.

I cannot tell from Skywatchers page what type of power cord comes with the EQR6.  Obviously it has DC Plug (presumably 5.5mm x 2.1mm) threaded connector for the scope, but is the supply end a 12v “cigarette-style” plug? an AC Adapter? Or a 5.5mm x 2.1mm male?  You may have to wait until you see what comes with, or find out from other EQR6 owners.

You’ll have to plan your power management for your situation, everyone is different, however often similar..  Some folks will convert from AC to DC, using an AC adapter-to-12v-socket (cigarette style).  You could use various talent cell type batteries that has a 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC outlet.

The only rule is that you are guaranteed 6 weeks of cloudy skies for having made an astronomy equipment purchase, so you will have plenty of time to plan and order the pieces you need (thereby extending your cloudy skies by yet another 6 weeks) lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, ccd, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics