•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen 5mm ssw or ES 5.5mm 100 degree

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sweep

Sweep

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:38 AM

Hii

Which one of the above is the best buy for actual contrast and view.?

I’m aware the SSW has received a lot of negative reviews overall especially in relation to associated seap.

Is this a factor mainly in the longer focal length eyepieces though?, not sure if the issue is a factor in the 5mm ssw.

Any users of the 5mm ssw that are very happy with their purchase?

The ES 5.5mm is a likely better fit between my Televue Delite 7mm and Wo uwan 4mm.

In relation to price can buy the Vixen new  for £100 stg less than Es 5.5.

Which of these should I purchase?

Thanks

j

5mm XO 

5mm XW

4.7mm Ethos

6-3 Nagler Zoom

Mike

#2 Sweep

Sweep

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:35 AM

Using a WO FLT 132 F7

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:48 AM

5T6 Nagler

Can be found in the secondary markets. I'd rather have it than either you mention.

• payner likes this

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:49 AM

I have all the SSWs but the 14mm and am really pleased by their performances in my telescopes, especially the refractors, to the point that am using them more than the Tak orthos or XWs: clarity and contrast are basically the same, but are more comfortable than orthos and smaller than XWs
Have never tried the ES5.5 but was not impressed by the 9mm.
  • bmurphy495 likes this

#5 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

As far as the SAEP goes, I have the 7mm SSW, and that's quite tolerable. The contrast is also excellent.

So I'd think the 5mm would be even better than the 7, at least as far as any aberrations are concerned.

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

You don’t get a hyperwide for maximum contrast. You get a hyperwide to keep objects in view longer with a manual Dob, or frame extended objects at higher magnification. But if you really want to look through nine or ten lenses to see Jupiter or Saturn, by all means.

Scott
  • mikeDnight likes this

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

The SAEP in the 5mm SSW will be tamed by the small exit pupil.

You are unlikely to have any issues with it.

In addition, it has 2 fewer elements than the 5.5mm ES and is considerably smaller and lighter.

You should add Dick's suggestion of a used 5mm Nagler to the mix as well.

• eros312 likes this

#8 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:35 PM

Hii

Which one of the above is the best buy for actual contrast and view.?

I’m aware the SSW has received a lot of negative reviews overall especially in relation to associated seap.

Is this a factor mainly in the longer focal length eyepieces though?, not sure if the issue is a factor in the 5mm ssw.

Any users of the 5mm ssw that are very happy with their purchase?

The ES 5.5mm is a likely better fit between my Televue Delite 7mm and Wo uwan 4mm.

In relation to price can buy the Vixen new  for £100 stg less than Es 5.5.

Which of these should I purchase?

Thanks

j

Were you also asking for a ranking on the list that Mike (Sarkikos brought up?).

I don't have the XO, but have/had the other three.

As far as contrast goes, I would rank them:

Nagler zoom first; and tie for the 5XW and 4.7 Ethos. 

Based on all of the gushing I hear, my bet is that the 5XO is very, very slightly better than the rest on the planets on the best possible nights (If you can stand the horribly small field and minuscule eye relief).

FWIW, if the 7 SSW is representative on contrast, I see it as slightly ahead of the 7XW (which is widely regarded as either the best of the series or tied with the 10). If so, then the 5 SSW is probably a tiny bit ahead of the 5XW and 4.7 Ethos on contrast.

But again, the differences are tiny. If you have a non-driven mount, going for wider field/comfort preferences is generally a better strategy IMO.

#9 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:11 PM

I've used or owned the XW 5, Nagler T6 5, Ethos 4.7 and the SSW 5.

My ranking of those would be (best first):

Pentax XW5

Ethos 4.7

Nagler T6 5

SSW 5

Not much difference between them but overall I've found the XW5 to be just a touch sharper and to offer slightly less light scatter around brighter targets.

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

The differences can be significant. I compared my 8lvw to a BHZ at 8mm setting and the LVW was noticeably sharper. Ok well it’s a zoom so not really a fair fight, right? Well I pitted my 5LVW against my 5LE and the LE was noticeably sharper. My friends and I guessed maybe 10% sharper tops. But when you have them both and are comparing the view, the winner is clear, and they both were asking how long until I sell the LVW. 5-10% sharper doesn’t sound like a huge benefit for sacrificing AFOV and ER. But when one looks perfect, and the other slightly less than perfect, and you are using a tracking mount, you quickly forget about the extra AFOV and ER. At least with the 5LE which has a comfortable 10mm ER. 5XO might be a different story.

Scott
  • mikeDnight likes this

#11 Sweep

Sweep

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:33 AM

I think I shall go with the  vixen 5mm ssw.

I was also thinking of adding the vixen 3.4 hr 

There is a vixen 2.4 hr, will try barlowing the 5mm ssw when seeing permits.

• eros312, areyoukiddingme and bmurphy495 like this

#12 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:10 AM

You don’t get a hyperwide for maximum contrast. You get a hyperwide to keep objects in view longer with a manual Dob, or frame extended objects at higher magnification. But if you really want to look through nine or ten lenses to see Jupiter or Saturn, by all means.

Scott

A fair point here, Scott.  But, hasnt the "gap" closed a bit between having to have high contrast & throughput versus widefields?  I think the widefields have got better and better even with their multiple lenses.  I may be wrong but I think a lot of people are using Naglers, Morphies, Deloses, Pentax XWAs, Meade UWAs, etc for planetary/moon eyepieces these days. 

I should probably grab a plossl or whatever and compare it myself to a widefield EP to see the difference on planets & the moon.  Its been a while since I used a plossl or a classic EP.  Im just not sure how I'd do with the small FOV & lack of eye relief! ;)

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

The gap has closed? My 7T1 is a very good planetary eyepiece. I believe there always has been a small gap and always will.

It is all about cost/benefit analysis. Some just want to have one lineup of general purpose eyepieces rather than paying another $300 for a TOE, HR or LE in the same focal length. I get that. Others feel they need wide AFOV for high power viewing with manual Dobs. I get that. Some don’t like short ER, although TOE, HR and LE have good ER if you don’t wear glasses. Personally I liked a TV 8mm Plossl but ER was too tight for me.

But if you have a tracking mount, and don’t wear glasses for high power viewing, then a planetary eyepiece makes a lot of sense.

I got my 5LE as part of a larger haul. I was planning to sell it to help pay for the haul. I already had a 5LVW. But I gave it a test drive and realized I am never selling this eyepiece. YMMV.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 16 February 2020 - 01:40 PM.

#14 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

Scott

https://www.cloudyni...ents/?p=7353360

Read the final paragraph in the link above. grin.gif

• eros312 likes this

#15 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

https://www.cloudyni...ents/?p=7353360

Read the final paragraph in the link above. grin.gif

Yes, says lens polish and quality is more important than the number of elements, which I agree with. An Ethos should best an Omni Plossl. That doesn’t mean it will best a TOE or HR or even Delite.

If I understand correctly, my 5LE may actually be a 7-element eyepiece. Not exactly minimum glass. TOE is six. But with 52 AFOV you don’t get the distortion in the outer part of the view when zoomed in on the Moon, and the polish is excellent.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 16 February 2020 - 02:37 PM.

#16 roblindau

roblindau

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South Germany

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:48 AM

Although you asked for the Vixen SSW and the ES 5.5 100° you should take a look at the Meade 5.5 UWA 82°. A very fine eyepiece.

Robert

• eros312 likes this

#17 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

I have a full set of the SSWs and they are very nice. The 5 & 7mm are quite good in my scopes.  

B

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

Just cause someone has to stand up for the 5.5mm ES100...it's the one eyepiece that on M42 showed me the dark clouds, not just the brightly lit ones.  Yes, the 4.7 Ethos is better, but the 5.5 ain't no slouch.

#19 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

A hyperwide would be excellent for framing a larger target like M42 at high power.

Scott

#20 eros312

eros312

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:33 PM

I think I shall go with the  vixen 5mm ssw.

I was also thinking of adding the vixen 3.4 hr 

There is a vixen 2.4 hr, will try barlowing the 5mm ssw when seeing permits.

I don't know where you live but here in the US Vixen Optics is having a sale the HR and SSW lines.  https://www.vixenopt...egory-s/193.htm

#21 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

Even lower on some sites, but if you're outside the US, shipping can be prohibitive.

It just depends where.

European customers often cannot avoid VAT, either.

#22 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:36 PM

Just cause someone has to stand up for the 5.5mm ES100...it's the one eyepiece that on M42 showed me the dark clouds, not just the brightly lit ones.  Yes, the 4.7 Ethos is better, but the 5.5 ain't no slouch.

You can see those in pretty much any high powered eyepiece.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics