•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning a Spike-A-Flat panel?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:33 AM

My panel has picked up some dirt and smudge (no idea how, it never fell on the floor, perhaps some dirt or grime on the edge of the metal dew shield on which it normally rests). Anyway, it needs cleaning...

So what's the best way to clean it? Windex and paper towels? Cotton balls and alcohol? Some soap solution? 

Should I be careful to clean it with the panel side down (so as to not have any liquid go inside) or is this not a concern?

I know there are quite a few of you with those panels out there--do yours remain pristine? If not--what do you do?

Thanks very much for any ideas!

#2 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:10 PM

I don't have the Spike-A-Flat so take what I say with a big grain of salt.

But in case it uses Acrylic, do not use Windex. It will craze the material.

#3 Kendahl

Kendahl

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pinedale, Arizona

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:17 PM

What do the Spike-A-Flat people recommend?

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

To my knowledge, the "Spike-A-Flat" people don't have a recommendation. I have already asked them via email but have received no reply.

#5 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

• Vendors
  • Loc: Fitchburg, Wisconsin

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

Hello,

I think I just replied to your email, but in case you're a different 'Stelios'... :)

For the front, anything safe for computer monitors should be fine.   If you have an older panel and are using the back (newer panels don't work for this) I don't have a definitive answer-  I suggest testing one of the corners first with any product to make sure it doesn't discolor the surface.

• OleCuss and bobzeq25 like this

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:13 PM

Yes, you did. Thank you. My panel is only usable one-way and is a little less than two years old, so I assume it's a "newer" one. 

I was mainly worried about liquid cleaner seeping through and damaging the electronics. I use eyeglass cleaner for my computer screens, I'll try it with gentle spraying and a microfiber cloth. 

Edit: I used Zeiss lens cleaner and a lens wipe cloth, and it worked extremely well. Still not sure what the gunk was, but it's gone. 

#7 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Viking 1

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

Unless you have the panel lying flat and level, don’t spray directly onto the surface. Even then it’s not a good idea due to runoff flowing through the edges. Better to spray onto your cleaning cloth.

For any optical surface, the way to go is progressive cleaning. First, use a blower to remove any loose dirt or dust. Second, brush lightly with a soft, clean brush. Next, dab lightly with a moistened lens tissue to loosen and pick up stuck on pollen and dirt. Finally, gently wipe with a moistened lens tissue. 

I don’t like using canned air. If you are too zealous and let the temperature drop below condensation temp, you will get a chemical splatter on the surface that may be difficult to clean. 

Madratter’s advice to avoid anything with ammonia in it is sound. It will mess up the surface of anything plastic, and I would not trust it on precision glass coatings either. It’s the path of minimum regret.

• Madratter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics