•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrading guide scope mount and camera

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 andythilo

andythilo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Saffron Walden, UK

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

Hi

So my current guide setup is an Orion 50mm Deluxe with Starshoot autoguider. It's mounting in some rings but while the scope is fine, I think a camera and mount upgrade are overdue. The rings were cheap and flex and the camera, well it's old (and I bought it secondhand).

So I'm wondering if anyone has put a 50mm guidescope in the WO slide rings? I measured my tube and it's the same give or take as the WO guide scope. Worthy upgrade to a solid mount? In terms of camera, ASI120 mini or ASI290 mini? This is going on an Explore Scientific ED102 (FL 714mm).

Untitled.jpg

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

The scope and rings are fine.  The 120 works well, the 290 works better.  If you ever think you may want an off axis guider, get the 290.

If that dovetail is intended to go in a finder shoe, it's not fine.  You need the rings to mount to two widely separated places.  Triangulation.  Scroll down this page to see how it's done.

https://www.cloudyni...ardrails/page-4

A finder shoe is the same as flexible rings.

• psandelle and andythilo like this

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

Depending upon your primary image scale, you're always going to have some amount of differential flexure when using a separate guide scope. This can come from a lot of different sources, the guide scope and rings, the focuser on the primary scope, even flexure in the optical tube itself.

So, if you are currently having problems then you can try a sturdier set of rings, but ideally you probably want a three-ring set that can support the focuser drawtube on the guide scope and the guide camera itself. Here is one such setup:

http://store.losmandy.com/dvr108-66

Here are some other setups, one that I created from off-the-self rings:

https://www.cloudyni...dpost&p=9824999

• andythilo likes this

#4 andythilo

andythilo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

The scope and rings are fine.  The 120 works well, the 290 works better.  If you ever think you may want an off axis guider, get the 290.

If that dovetail is intended to go in a finder shoe, it's not fine.  You need the rings to mount to two widely separated places.  Triangulation.  Scroll down this page to see how it's done.

https://www.cloudyni...ardrails/page-4

A finder shoe is the same as flexible rings.

Hi, it wont be going in a finder shoe, the rings will be hard mounted to the top of the main scope rings via a rail of some sort. 

• psandelle and bobzeq25 like this

#5 AstroPics

AstroPics

Ranger 4

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

If you are going through the upgrade process on guiding and forking out cash, you might want to think about an OAG setup. While 714mm isn't an excessive focal length, you will benefit from removing potential guide flexure. You will also have a setup if you ever get a much larger focal length scope where OAG is required.

The initial setup with an OAG can be time consuming but once you're done, the setup is stable.

I have a Orion TOAG with a QHY5LII-m camera that works great on my Explore Scientific 102mm. I see lots of recommendations for the ASI 290 (including this thread). This is probably a choice of performance vs. budget. :)

• andythilo likes this

#6 astrohamp

astrohamp

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

My vote for the OAG. 

I also have the ASI294, bought after getting an ASI120 to try out now my guide camera.  Both are set up to a ZWO OAG.  Fitting at the camera end was accomplished with included parts while the OTA side needed several extension rings and a 2" nosepiece.

You already know the back focus distance on your OTA needed for the 294 camera.  This will tell you if there is space for an OAG.  I was also able to remove the OAG focuser and direct connect (thread) the 120 (not mini) guide camera.  To do it over again I would go with the ZWO 290 camera.

• andythilo likes this

#7 andythilo

andythilo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

OAG is an option I guess, the ZWO one replaces the 16.5mm spacer so would be an easy fit. Although the Celestron one rotates front and back so doubles up as a camera rotator but is more expensive still. Have to have a think and have a play with an OAG in Stellarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

OAG is an option I guess, the ZWO one replaces the 16.5mm spacer so would be an easy fit. Although the Celestron one rotates front and back so doubles up as a camera rotator but is more expensive still. Have to have a think and have a play with an OAG in Stellarium.

The advantage of the Celestron (which I own) is a large prism that will cover a large chip guide camera like a 174.  Makes it easier to find a guide star, which can be an issue with an OAG.  Why I bought it.

The disadvantage is that it's large and heavy (which has stability advantages), and needs substantial backfocus.

Edited by bobzeq25, 14 February 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#9 andythilo

andythilo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice, for the minute OAG is one extra step that I'm not ready for I've decided. Having had some many issues with my old scope (and am waiting for my new one) I want to get my image train ironed out first. However I've ordered a 290Mini and the WO rings for my Orion 50mm so hopefully I'll have a solid, flex free guider. OAG is definitely a future upgrade though :).

#10 andythilo

andythilo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

Gonna be no flex on this . WO rings mounted directly to the ED102 handle.

95268224dd6efafa0548009ddc69a48d.jpg

• psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics