•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mono cooled setting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

Hi always,

I am planning to image Orion nebula or constellation tonight or soon, but i still feel like i don't know the best settings i must follow or use, so what is your recommendations?

Gain?

Offset?

For LRGB 

And for Narrownbanding mainly Ha, but OIII and SII are also considered.

Will image between F2 up to F4/F5, camera is QHY163M, but this is also applied if i will buy ASI1600MM in future.

I am under Bortle 8/9 sky

#2 gcardona

gcardona

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:07 AM

I recently imaged M42 in narrowband using my new ASI1600MM. I used gain 0, and whatever the default offset is set from ZWO. I did 10 second exposures for the core and 5 minute exposures for the nebula, all shot at F2. You can read the details here.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:43 AM

Hi always,

I am planning to image Orion nebula or constellation tonight or soon, but i still feel like i don't know the best settings i must follow or use, so what is your recommendations?

Gain?

Offset?

For LRGB 

And for Narrownbanding mainly Ha, but OIII and SII are also considered.

Will image between F2 up to F4/F5, camera is QHY163M, but this is also applied if i will buy ASI1600MM in future.

I am under Bortle 8/9 sky

Why would you replace a 163M with the nearly identical 1600MM?

#4 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

I recently imaged M42 in narrowband using my new ASI1600MM. I used gain 0, and whatever the default offset is set from ZWO. I did 10 second exposures for the core and 5 minute exposures for the nebula, all shot at F2. You can read the details here.

That is cool, but i am not planning to shoot Orion in narrowbanding, i am planning to shoot at HaRGB, one day later i may try NB filters only to have something same like yours.

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

Why would you replace a 163M with the nearly identical 1600MM?

Who said replacing? I will never replace, i will buy another mono cooled, and because i have 1.25" filters which i do have issues using them on my QHY163M so i found out that there are many members or people used that size of 1.25" with ASI1600MM, so the second additional camera should be ASI1600MM then i am set, while my QHY163M it will stay with 36mm size filters, and slowly later i will replace those 36mm filters to something better quality if necessary.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

For LRGB with fast scopes and under Bortle 8/9 skies, definitely gain 0.

For narrowband I would use unity. That should be plenty. 

The filter issues you have with the QHY163M you will also have with the ASI1600MM. To understand what impacts filter size, use this calculator. Note that the distance of sensor to filter makes a big difference. 

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

For LRGB with fast scopes and under Bortle 8/9 skies, definitely gain 0.

For narrowband I would use unity. That should be plenty. 

The filter issues you have with the QHY163M you will also have with the ASI1600MM. To understand what impacts filter size, use this calculator. Note that the distance of sensor to filter makes a big difference. 

Ok, so i will finish those RGB channels tonight with Gain 0, then if i add NB say only Ha i will use unity gain.

Well, i know what do you mean, but i already have 1.25" filters, i can't sell or replace them, and i have to use them, so i have no choice here, also from what i read i heard that QHY163M sensor is about 1-2mm further deeper than ASI160mm one, and although there will be vignetting anyway then i think i can accept the vignetting from ASI1600 than from QHY163M which is more inside, and ZWO has like good way to get the camera sensor closer to the filters, unless you have another solution for me which doesn't include buying another size filters or replace those 1.25" i have.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics