•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Sony SDK for Remote Camera Access

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

Any thoughts on this announcement from Sony as it might apply to astrophotography software?

https://www.dpreview...e-camera-access

• sharkmelley likes this

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:36 PM

Talk to Guylain at BackYardSONY. smile.gif

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 14 February 2020 - 05:36 PM.

• Swordfishy likes this

#3 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Soyuz

• Loc: UK

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:56 PM

Very interesting - we've been asking for this SDK for years! 

If I understand this correctly it allows developers to write Windows software to control Sony cameras tethered by USB.  But only the A7R mk4 and the A9 mk2 models are currently supported.

Also, there is the following amusing stipulation in the licence agreement:

Please also note that you shall:
(a) explain to and obtain a consent from the END-USERS, before licensing the END-USERS to copy or use the APPLICATION SOFTWARE, that once a DEVICE is used or controlled through the APPLICATION SOFTWARE, the DEVICE will be out of such manufacturer-warranty as separately specified by SONY with respect to the DEVICE;

This seems to imply that anyone using Sony's SDK to control their Sony camera will automatically invalidate the warranty on the camera!

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley, 14 February 2020 - 06:57 PM.

• Swordfishy likes this

#4 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:19 AM

I’d guess that’s to say “It’s not our fault if someone’s software bricks your camera” and not an uncommon clause.

And yeah I’m hoping it can be used with older cameras like my NEX-5T but I won’t hold my breath.

Edited by GoldSpider, 15 February 2020 - 08:19 AM.

#5 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:59 AM

I asked about the new SDK in the O'Telescope forums, and got this response:

If you get all your Sony astroimaging friends to reply to this post then perhaps the devs will consider it. Other questions are

1. Is the SDK full-featured enough?
  2. How many camera models are supported?
  3. Is there a channel for 3rd party developers to get support from Sony?
  4. How large is the customer base?
  5. How easy is it to reuse the BYE/BYN code for a new product?

However, if I were the developers, I would not make my plans and investigations public until I was sure that it would definitely happen!

So if anyone has a Sony camera they'd like to remote-control for astro-imaging, it seems like now is the time to speak up!

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

I'm pretty sure that Sony had an SDK for the WiFi-equipped cameras than ran Sony's rather pathetic PlayMemories apps. My old Sony NEX-5R could be controlled over WiFi, although it really ran through the battery quickly and the apps were slow and clunky.

So, I just relied on the IR-remote functionality with a variety of iOS apps. The Bluetooth controlled MaxStone IR remote was actually a pretty nice product (and inexpensive), but the company that made/marketed that device apparently went out of business several years ago and the app is no longer available from Apple's App store (although some are still trying to sell the device on Amazon and I think eBay, but the device is completely useless without the app -- although you might still be able to get it to work under Android).

Edited by james7ca, 17 February 2020 - 10:30 AM.

#7 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

I'll keep an eye on this - although it's not a priority, using my A6300 would be a nice way to get a free large chip (albeit uncooled) OSC, so hopefully the lineup of supported cameras will be increased.

#8 seigell

seigell

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 'Burbs of Phoenix

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

This seems to imply that anyone using Sony's SDK to control their Sony camera will automatically invalidate the warranty on the camera!

Way for SONY to have FAith in their SDK Coding Abilities!!

SDKs are provided because other than Reverse Engineering or Replacing the Onboard Code, the Manufacturer provides a Limited Number of Function Calls for a 3rd-Party Developer to Invoke in order to Control specified Camera Functions.  Unless the SDK Functions are Incorrectly Coded or fail to Sanity-Check any Passed Parameters, there is little-to-no-way a 3rd-Party App can Harm a DSLR which isn't already under the Control of the Manufacturer.

BTW:  Canon provides a SDK for ALL of their DSLRs without such a CYA Clause.  Nikon provides a SDK for many of their DSLR Models - including several with SONY Sensors - without need of a CYA Clause.

#9 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

Well I would love a backyard sony or apt with sony support. That would really make using the a7riii a ton easier. I really do not like using the sony remote prgm, it has a very hard time reconnecting and the control layout is not designed well.
  • charotarguy, GoldSpider and Swordfishy like this

#10 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

I'm pretty sure that Sony had an SDK for the WiFi-equipped cameras than ran Sony's rather pathetic PlayMemories apps. My old Sony NEX-5R could be controlled over WiFi, although it really ran through the battery quickly and the apps were slow and clunky.

So, I just relied on the IR-remote functionality with a variety of iOS apps. The Bluetooth controlled MaxStone IR remote was actually a pretty nice product (and inexpensive), but the company that made/marketed that device apparently went out of business several years ago and the app is no longer available from Apple's App store (although some are still trying to sell the device on Amazon and I think eBay, but the device is completely useless without the app -- although you might still be able to get it to work under Android).

The a7riii does wifi to your phone. It connects fine until you turn off or sit down the phone. Reconnecting is such a pain, takes multiple attempts, very unreliable.

#11 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

Yeah. If they make this backwards compatible I will be very happy... I own a Sony A7 and it would be wonderful to be able to plate solve / dither / control camera from one of the regular image capture softwares. I tried for a while and though someone got it working somewhat through EDGE remote control, I gave up on it due to how clunky it was. 

I CAN and do sometimes use it with EDGE and just download the image / plate solve manually and sync mount. Works, but again, clunky.

• charotarguy likes this

#12 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

Well I would love a backyard sony or apt with sony support. That would really make using the a7riii a ton easier. I really do not like using the sony remote prgm, it has a very hard time reconnecting and the control layout is not designed well.

It looks like Ivo at APT is already looking into this.  applause.gif

https://aptforum.com...&t=3200&p=20757

• charotarguy and Swordfishy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics