•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wireless Extender for Windows Remote Desktop

equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

I just bought a Windows 10 Pro Intel NUC for data collection and mount control. I hope to be able to control this with my laptop indoors using Windows Remote Desktop. The NUC has wifi, but I was wondering what I should I do to extend its signal. The mount would be operating about 50-70 feet from my laptop and through a wall, obviously. Would a basic plugin wifi extender work for this, or perhaps a USB antenna for the NUC? 

George

Edited by gfstallin, 14 February 2020 - 04:11 PM.

#2 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

I'm using TightVNC but aside from that, I'm using a simple USB antenna and getting fine connectivity at about 200 feet.

Edit: You do need clear line of site. I had to prune a couple branches on a spruce that were interfering.

Edited by Astrola72, 14 February 2020 - 04:20 PM.

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

Depending on what that wall is constructed of, you might be fine as-is. I'd give it a try before investing in alternatives.

I image across the street from my house, and have no trouble connecting to my home wifi with both the laptop and the little teeny antenna inside my Raspberry Pi.  The laptop is the VNC client, and the Pi sits on the mount's eyepiece tray controlling the scope.  The signal is going through both (or probably around!) the metal garage door and a wall between the garage and the room behind the garage where the router sits.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:03 PM

IF,  you really, really, really need to increase WiFi signal strength, this would do it:

TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router - WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes $34.97

Thanks to a CN user tip! 

• psandelle and gfstallin like this

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:26 PM

I use something like this to use Teamviewer between my desktop, and the NUC in the observatory.  Multiple walls are involved.  Simple to set up, works great.

https://www.pcmag.co...range-extenders

Mine is very similar to this.  As always, you get what you pay for.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B010S6RYUY/

Edited by bobzeq25, 14 February 2020 - 05:30 PM.

• gfstallin likes this

#6 scopewizard

scopewizard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

To use remote desktop you will need to be connected to your house wifi network on the NUC unless you can create an access point. You house WIFI is more than likely strong enough. Install the remote desktop assistant in the NUC and do the settings. Load it to start on power up. In your house PC, laptop or tablet download the Microsoft RDP app from the store. You will connect to NUC using the name and password shown in the assistant.

RDP works very well as long as you have a network to work it on. If you are able to create an access point (hotspot) on the NUC, you do not need a network as the access point is a virtual wifi network. In that scenario you can connect PC wfi, laptop wifi or a tablet to the hotspot and use Microsoft RDP app even in remote locations with no wifi. If no hotspot, you can add a usb router to create the wifi network. Many ways to make everything work. I use a PI 4 with Astroberry, PI hotspot with no problem even inside the house at 5g. Also it works the same in remote site. The reason I went with PI is the extremely low power requirement.

• gfstallin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics