•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starry Night vs CPWI

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 taxman0720

taxman0720

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

Hello everyone. I am still relatively new to astronomy.  I purchased a Nexstar 6SE and it came with Starry Night 8 SE (apparently not the full version).  It seems to work really well after the scope is aligned.  Just use your mouse, pick an object or star and it goes directly to it.  I just learned Celestron has a free program called CPWI.  I really want to commit and learn one software program.  Any opinions on which software is better? 

#2 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

Hi Tony,

I used CPWI. It works very well. Provides automatic alignments. What it does not provide is a good night sky chart. It is as basic as one can get frankly. So you will need a good planetarium to have a decent look at what's up tonight.

Auto alignment gives the beginner one benefit, you will see in what directions objects are located simply by looking at where the scope is pointing. After successful alignments and the beginning of learning your skies, you can then start picking out your guide stars or alignment stars. It's easier at start, to have things happen automatically, it frees you up from the extremely frustrating practice of putting your target in the center of your ep.

CPWI works great. And, also in my opinion. You will need to learn a lot more than one program. Invest in a good planetarium and try CPWI. You won't miss.

• taxman0720 likes this

#3 scopewizard

scopewizard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

CPWI is the software replacement for you hand control. You can start CPWI, connect to the mount (USB, HC,directly to mount) and do your alignment. Then start StarryNight and connect to CPWI using ASCOM to CPWI. Both pieces of software work together. If you want to guide your mount  to do AP, start PHD2 and also connect using ASCOM to CPWI. I have connect StarryNight 7, Guide 9 and KStars and PHD2 all to CPWI at the same time. No problem at all. 

• taxman0720 likes this

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Messenger

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

CPWI as well.  Not having to know star names and where they are in the sky is a very big plus.  It's goto pointing is also much better than what the hand controller can do.

I use Stellarium after CPWI, but only when I need it.  CPWI lets you type in Messier and NGC numbers and that's good enough for a lot, but for example, it is much easier to get to the comet C/2017 T2 using Stellarium.  CPWI also has a "Find target" feature that lets you select types of objects to look at.  I rarely keep planetarium programs running becuase they just eat up CPU for no reason when I'm not using it.

Don't box yourself into only one program.  Use CPWI then connect to Starry Night through ASCOM for the things CPWI can't get you to.

• taxman0720 likes this

#5 taxman0720

taxman0720

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:34 AM

Thanks!  Did not know they worked together.  I will use both next time I go out.

#6 taxman0720

taxman0720

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

Loaded CPWI but I have a follow-up question.  How do I connect CPWI to Starry Night through ASCOM?  There are a ton of ASCOM icons under programs and the only 2 on my desktop are ASCOM Diagnostics and Profiler Explorer.  Sorry for the basic question but I am a bit confused.  

#7 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

Hi Tony

Start CPWI.

Connect your scope to CPWI. You can do the star alignment now if you'd like. Can always do it later.

Open StarryNight

Click the Telescope side pane

click "Configure"

Under ASCOM Telescope Chooser, select "CPWI" in the pull down menu. (You will see things such as "Celestron Telescope Driver", ASCOM simulators, etc. Ignore these.)

Click "OK"

Click "Connect" in the telescope pane. If connection is successful, the other scope pane items will be functional and no longer be grayed out.

CPWI acts as a server between almost all ASCOM-compatible apps (Stellarium, CdC, PHD2, Sharpcap, etc) and your scope. The connection process for the apps is nearly identical as written above.

Clear nightskies!

• Gamewarden and taxman0720 like this

#8 taxman0720

taxman0720

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

Perfect...thanks!!  Did not think to hit the drop down box since it was on Celestron Telescope Driver.  Suppose to be average seeing tonight, so I will check it out.

#9 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics