•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6R Pro to PC- Does an RJ12 cable work?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vnc1218

vnc1218

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:40 PM

Hi there!  I bought a used mount here from cloudynights and have loved it thus far.  I wanted to improve the experience by using plate solving with EQMOD, but I'm a little confused as to what cable to use.  I've already looked through a bunch of past posts and have the general idea of what is needed (if another post covers this, please direct me to it).  My mount does not have any USB-B ports on it, nor does the SynScan controller (an older one perhaps).  My mount didn't come with a firmware update cable. Based on this site (https://www.atm-work...pc-connect.html), it does have an RJ12 connector.

Would a cable like this work to connect from the Hand Controller RJ12 to a PC: https://www.amazon.c...118&s=pc&sr=1-4.

I understand that Shoestring Astronomy sells a direct mount to PC cable, but I would be saving ~$30 with this option, and I don't mind working through the hand controller.  Thoughts?

#2 Exciton

Exciton

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

VNC,

I have an Orion Atlas mount that I control with my laptop thru the hand controller, like you are endeavoring to do.  You need to convert from USB (for the laptop) to serial RS232 (for the hand controller).  You are moving on the right path by looking at cables that use the FTDI chip to convert between the two. 

However, what you are looking at is a customized cable for the DL205 programmer unit.  It is anybody's guess whether the two are compatible.  You need to carefully check the cable specs to ensure 1) that the signal coming out of the RJ12 connector is really RS232, and 2) that the pinout of the RJ12 connector matches what the mount is looking for (it is in your mount manual).  There is no telling if what the DL205 wants to see is the same as what your mount wants to see, so you need to research it some more.  If those two conditions are met, then you are likely good to go. 

For my mount, I bought a standard FTDI chip cable to take me from USB to a RS232 on a DB9 connector, then made a custom cable to take me from DB9 to the RJ12 connector.  That way, I knew the wiring was correct (but takes more work).  If you poke around, you will see tons of posts regarding issues with very inexpensive USB/RS232 converter cables because for years people were selling the cables with bootleg FTDI chips.  I suggest you buy from a reputable seller (Digikey, Mouser, SparkFun, etc.).

Good luck,

Exciton

#3 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

vnc1218,

I would not trust that cable. It is made for another device. They do not give pin-outs or voltages so a lot more information would be required.

Instead of that one, why not get one made for your purpose?

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B07HL2Z741

John

#4 vnc1218

vnc1218

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:54 PM

Huh... I didn't see that when cable when I searched.  Also, amazing site you run there Mr.Upton, it's been very helpful sorting out how to do AP.  Thanks for the advice Eciton, I probably would have gone for a bootlegged cable had I not found this one!  Thanks :)

• jdupton likes this

#5 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Metro Colorado

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:02 AM

Yep Over on Amazon Skywatcher Telescope Control Cable FTDI USB to RJ45 Serial Converter Cable EQ6-R AZEQ6 AZEQ5  $15.00 and Prime

Make sure you disable sleep under Power for the USB side.

Plug in the USB Cable then go to Device Manager and on "A" and update the driver then go to "B" and click on Properties and uncheck "C" the you will need to go back to "A" and one more time Update the Driver.
Then go to Power Setting and Disable "D"

49571209213_84f14fe0c3_o.jpg

Edited by gammerpc, 22 February 2020 - 08:11 PM.

#6 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:16 PM

Hi there!  I bought a used mount here from cloudynights and have loved it thus far.  I wanted to improve the experience by using plate solving with EQMOD, but I'm a little confused as to what cable to use.  I've already looked through a bunch of past posts and have the general idea of what is needed (if another post covers this, please direct me to it).  My mount does not have any USB-B ports on it, nor does the SynScan controller (an older one perhaps).  My mount didn't come with a firmware update cable. Based on this site (https://www.atm-work...pc-connect.html), it does have an RJ12 connector.

Would a cable like this work to connect from the Hand Controller RJ12 to a PC: https://www.amazon.c...118&s=pc&sr=1-4.

I understand that Shoestring Astronomy sells a direct mount to PC cable, but I would be saving ~$30 with this option, and I don't mind working through the hand controller.  Thoughts?

The shoestring option for $30 is totally worth it.  Plugging in your cable to the mount directly is best.  I actually made my own cable.

#7 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:22 PM

In case you want to make your own cable.... http://eq-mod.source...t/eqdirect2.htm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics