•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does the Pixinsight "swap" drive store the files too?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

So I have an ASI2600MC Pro coming and the files are much larger than I have previously deal with.

I have a 2TB hard drive that I store raw files and finished photos on. However, I have a 256GB SSD that holds Windows, Pixinsight and that I usually run all the processing on. It has about 175GB of room on it.

If I have 200 sub frames at the 2600's 52.2MB each and they get debayered and registered and create drizzle files, etc. I am going to blow past my 175GB available.

So my question is...I was considering buying a 1TB SSD to act as the swap drive/processor.  So if I load all the raw subframes on this drive and point the Pixinsight "swap storage directory" to this new drive, everything will run on this drive correct? And this is also the drive it will dump the calibrated/registered/etc folders that Pixinisight creates and the drizzle files it creates, etc.

Thanks!

#2 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:46 PM

the swap directory is for the undo history of each window open on the desktop. that's all it's for. well, backups of the process icon set get written there too.

when you run BPP or WBPP (or any process that writes to the disk) you can set any output directory you like. it might be on the same drive where the swap folder(s) reside, or it might not be. that's entirely up to you.

one thing to look out for with the swap directories is that if PI crashes, it won't clean up the swap directories... so over time the swap directory can fill up with garbage that's been 'orphaned'. you can clean it yourself, but the only safe time to delete things in the swap directory/ies is when PI is not running.

rob

Edited by pfile, 14 February 2020 - 09:46 PM.

• mewmartigan, elmiko and cfosterstars like this

#3 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:25 PM

I have a feeling that you will be running out of storage VERY quickly with your setup. I only have ASI1600 cameras and a single image fill about 300-800Gb of storage from raw files to finished image. If its a 3 panel mosaic, the triple that. I have two 8TB standard 5200RPM HD in RAID0 for just file storage and a 2 TB nVME M.2 RAID 10 for swap file or a 64GB RAM drive for swap files. My system is on a 2TB M.2 nVME drive. 

• jdupton likes this

#4 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, I don't keep the registered files and stuff after the stack is done. I only keep the original raw files and some variations of the finished product. So each project should be about 10-20GB. 

I am mostly concerned about space just while its doing all the aligning, debayering, stacking, drizzling, etc. since during that it needs all those files and the sizes balloon out.

If I store all the files on the HDD but point the swap directories to the SSD (and have PI installed on the SSD), then will all the processing occur on the SSD even though it is pulling files from the HDD? Or will reading from the HDD slow everything down as opposed to doing it all on the SSD?

Edited by mewmartigan, 15 February 2020 - 03:58 PM.

#5 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

BPP never interacts with the swap space...

when you load the integrated light master and start processing it, every process you apply to the master will result in a write to the swap directory on your SSD. if you undo a step, that will result in a read from your SSD.

basically any view that's open on the desktop creates a series of files in the swap directory (-ies) as you apply processes to the view.

when you save the project, all those files in the swap space are copied out of the swap directory (-ies) and into your project folder. when you load a project, all the files inside the project folder are copied to the swap area.

if you have a huge SSD then pointing BPP at the SSD as a place to write the calibrated, debayered and registered files will make BPP run faster. if the SSD is too small to support that then you need to point BPP at your HDD and take the speed hit.

rob

• mewmartigan and jdupton like this

#6 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info rob!

• pfile likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics