•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

18 x 50 Canon IS All Weather advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chomatic Aberrant

Chomatic Aberrant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Chicago

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

Hello. 

I won an auction several weeks ago. Paid $400 for a pair of 18 x 50 Canon IS binos intending to use them for astronomy. These may be an early model. SN# 700002xx.

It was an impulse purchase I regretted almost immediately after bidding thinking about everything which could be wrong with them.  Standard porros I can repair.  But these are one step this side of alchemy.

When they arrived their alignment seemed reasonable. 

The binos are in very good physical shape. Rubber skin is holding up well and the Image Stabilization appears to work.  But the right side is not as sharp as the left with both focused.  As with most binos the edges are somewhat soft but not uniformly so. When comparing the far left side of the field to the far right side there is a difference. A sign of a collimation error? 

So, where would you send them for adjustment?  Canon?  Just got off the phone with them. They still service these. My guess (and pocket book) seems to lean to the manufacturer rather than our repair god in Oklahoma.  But what do I know?! 

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Michael

Edited by Chomatic Aberrant, 14 February 2020 - 05:47 PM.

#2 DeanD

DeanD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

I am not in the US, but I understand that your Oklahaman "repair god" (who I assume is Cory Suddarth?) is good to talk to. It sounds like it has nothing to do with the "alchemy" side of the binos: it is an optical issue, so I would give him a buzz and ask his advice: maybe compare quotes with Canon?  

Good luck!

- Dean

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:40 PM

I am not in the US, but I understand that your Oklahaman "repair god" (who I assume is Cory Suddarth?) is good to talk to. It sounds like it has nothing to do with the "alchemy" side of the binos: it is an optical issue, so I would give him a buzz and ask his advice: maybe compare quotes with Canon?  

Good luck!

- Dean

I contacted Cory Suddarth for a similar issue.  Unfortunately he doesn't work on the Canon IS Binoculars.

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

It was an impulse purchase I regretted almost immediately after bidding thinking about everything which could be wrong with them.

But the right side is not as sharp as the left with both focused.  As with most binos the edges are somewhat soft but not uniformly so.

When comparing the far left side of the field to the far right side there is a difference.

A sign of a collimation error? 

So, where would you send them for adjustment?  Canon?  Just got off the phone with them.

They still service these.

My guess (and pocket book) seems to lean to the manufacturer....

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Michael

Canon is known for high price$ when it comes to repairing their I$ binoculars. moneyeyes.gif

I hope you have deep pocket$. frown.gif

Stan

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

Canon is known for high price$ when it comes to repairing their I$ binoculars. moneyeyes.gif

I hope you have deep pocket$. frown.gif

Stan

This was my experience (in Canada) and the demise of my 18X50's (which were in fine working order when I sold them).

I picked up a cheap pair of 12 X 36IS and use them as "disposable" as the cost of repair is more than the cost on the used market.

#6 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

I've only worked up the nerve to buy used IS twice (Fujinon Stabiscopes in my gamefishing days), and got stung once. Quoth the raven, nevermore. 

That said, did you shine a penlight into them from various directions/angles--maybe isolate where in the optical train the issue lies?

Edited by Foss, 15 February 2020 - 10:36 AM.

#7 labven

labven

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chorley UK

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

Had my 18X50. IS repaired a couple of months ago by Canon UK. They’d fallen about 5 ft onto a carpeted floor. Couldn’t get the right side to focus with the left even with the diopter adjuster at the extreme. The objectives were out of alignment, cost was £117 with a mere 3 working day turnaround. I was very pleased with this service.

• hallelujah and ihf like this

#8 Chomatic Aberrant

Chomatic Aberrant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Chicago

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:40 PM

Thanks to all who responded.  Will have another long look at these Binos.  Perhaps after reading all the many topics and postings about IS and in particular the idiosyncrasies of the 18 x 50 model I may learn how to live with these as is.  At least in the short term.  

Perhaps sending them for repair to Canon UK would be better than here in the States.   Will also contact Cory.  He may know of another shop who services these.   

Michael

• hallelujah likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics