•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron UHC/LPR any good?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Euclid's Brother

Euclid's Brother

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

Looking for my first filter for visual observations.  Is the Celestron UHC/LPR any good?  Or should I splurge for something better like the Astronomik UHC or Lumicon UHC or DGM NPB?

I'm using a Zhumell Z12 with Meade 5000 series eye pieces.  I observe from both urban and dark sites.

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:26 PM

Look on Equipment Forum under Eyepieces.  At the top is Don Pensak's Filter Buyers Guide for 2019.  I'm guessing it is there and will tell you all about it.  Otherwise, I say "splurge".

• sunnyday likes this

#3 Euclid's Brother

Euclid's Brother

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:53 PM

Look on Equipment Forum under Eyepieces.  At the top is Don Pensak's Filter Buyers Guide for 2019.  I'm guessing it is there and will tell you all about it.  Otherwise, I say "splurge".

I looked at that spreadsheet, but all i saw was a list of all the filters, pricing and nm bandwidth ( which i don't understand).  not sure how to quantify the quality of one over another. am i missing something there?

Edited by Euclid's Brother, 14 February 2020 - 06:53 PM.

#4 Euclid's Brother

Euclid's Brother

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

I read the rest of the thread and think i have my answer.  I'll probably go with the lumicon.

• havasman likes this

#5 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

Cool

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:40 PM

Looking for my first filter for visual observations.  Is the Celestron UHC/LPR any good?  Or should I splurge for something better like the Astronomik UHC or Lumicon UHC or DGM NPB?

I'm using a Zhumell Z12 with Meade 5000 series eye pieces.  I observe from both urban and dark sites.

It is a great filter for the main nebulas such as the Orion, Lagoon etc., they are made by Baader ! I have the 1.25” and 2” as well as the NPB, Bandmate filters I use them all, I like them all depending on my mood on a given nite ! Every body should have more than one brand with different specs as a fun comparison under different nite sky conditions, thats what this hobby is all about ! Clear Skies !

• Barlowbill likes this

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

I read the rest of the thread and think i have my answer.  I'll probably go with the lumicon.

If I had to choose only one I would take the NPB based on its performance on an extensive trial by an authoritative member, an expert if you will, of CN !

#8 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:07 AM

It is basically a broadband filter in the likeness of the Orion Skyglow, or Lumicon Deep Sky and has a very WIDE bandpass. You're better off getting a real UHC type filter like the ones you mentioned.

• havasman likes this

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:02 AM

It is basically a broadband filter in the likeness of the Orion Skyglow, or Lumicon Deep Sky and has a very WIDE bandpass. You're better off getting a real UHC type filter like the ones you mentioned.

It still puts up some pretty good views of those nebulas but the background isn’t near as dark, it is a great compliment, a good contrast to the other great filters ! Thats why I own several brands, I have the luxury of picking and choosing on any given nite, its like owning more than one scope and its the ‘ all the eggs in one basket ‘ sort of thing !

#10 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:29 AM

I tested that one and several others by using them to observe a range of summer emission nebulae in 5 to 16" apertures from very poor urban sites and a good rural dark site. Wideband filters like the Celestron UHC-LPR made very minimal contribution to an observation of emission nebulae compared to narrowband filters when both were used well matched to the nebula's emission spectrum. I never use them and use good narrowband nebular filters regularly and often at large and small exit pupils. Wideband nebula filters have zero value to my observing.

A wideband filter is a very poor choice for a first or only UHC or UHC-type filter if the goal is to increase the apparent contrast of an appropriately matched nebular object. If you're going to carry many filters then you may be one who finds use for a wideband. I carry Lumicon UHC (2, matched for binoculars), Lumicon Gen 3 O-III, Thousand Oaks H-Beta and a DGM-NPB to the field and have never once wished for a wideband filter to use in an observation.

Buy the Lumicon, TV or Astronomik. They work better.

• bmurphy495 and Miranda2525 like this

#11 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:08 AM

I tested that one and several others by using them to observe a range of summer emission nebulae in 5 to 16" apertures from very poor urban sites and a good rural dark site. Wideband filters like the Celestron UHC-LPR made very minimal contribution to an observation of emission nebulae compared to narrowband filters when both were used well matched to the nebula's emission spectrum. I never use them and use good narrowband nebular filters regularly and often at large and small exit pupils. Wideband nebula filters have zero value to my observing.

A wideband filter is a very poor choice for a first or only UHC or UHC-type filter if the goal is to increase the apparent contrast of an appropriately matched nebular object. If you're going to carry many filters then you may be one who finds use for a wideband. I carry Lumicon UHC (2, matched for binoculars), Lumicon Gen 3 O-III, Thousand Oaks H-Beta and a DGM-NPB to the field and have never once wished for a wideband filter to use in an observation.

Buy the Lumicon, TV or Astronomik. They work better.

It's really a wonder WHY Celestron even calls that filter a "UHC" because it isn't and it doesn't even work like one.

• havasman likes this

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

If you are a so called perfectionist or think you are you are correct it sure won’t do anything for one, it could even make them look past their capabilities but thats what makes the world go round, I and many others appreciate their virtues on nites when you don’t want the view to be too dark just better than with out a filter ! I love the way Orion and the Lagoon stand out, the great contrast yet you are still able to faintly see the background stars that you can’t with the more focused filters ! But as I said the others are there as a backup !  Clear Skies !

Edited by LDW47, 16 February 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#13 Euclid's Brother

Euclid's Brother

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:09 PM

I got the 2" Lumicon UHC Gen 3 today from B&H photo. And it doesn't fit my 2" Meade Series 5000 20mm eye piece. It's too small of diameter, the threads won't grab. :(

It fits my 2" Barlow. It fits my 2" to 1.25" adapter. It fits the bottom of my variable polarized filter, but not the top. It fits my original zhumell 30mm eye piece.

Very disappointed I can't use it with my Meade 20m eye piece.

Is this the difference of 48mm vs 50mm diameter?

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:09 AM

I got the 2" Lumicon UHC Gen 3 today from B&H photo. And it doesn't fit my 2" Meade Series 5000 20mm eye piece. It's too small of diameter, the threads won't grab. :(

It fits my 2" Barlow. It fits my 2" to 1.25" adapter. It fits the bottom of my variable polarized filter, but not the top. It fits my original zhumell 30mm eye piece.

No, you just are seeing the variation that makes filter makers realize the best they can do is to fit about 50% of eyepieces.

#15 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:11 AM

It's really a wonder WHY Celestron even calls that filter a "UHC" because it isn't and it doesn't even work like one.

Because the company (Baader) that made the filter used their own broadband filter as the source, and theirs already used the UHC moniker.

#16 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Troy, Alabama

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:13 AM

It's the same filter as the Baader UHC-S. It's not a true narrowband UHC, but it works well as a "Deep-Sky" filter.

• LDW47 likes this

#17 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:05 AM

Because the company (Baader) that made the filter used their own broadband filter as the source, and theirs already used the UHC moniker.

Which also works like a broadband filter, lol. Neither one should have the "UHC" moniker name to it because newbs will assume it is a "UHC" filter, when neither of them are.

Edited by Miranda2525, 20 February 2020 - 08:09 AM.

#18 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:08 AM

True, but the reality is that both Celestron and Baader used the UHC moniker on the eyepiece.

I agree it misleads people into thinking they are narrowband filters.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#19 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

It's the same filter as the Baader UHC-S. It's not a true narrowband UHC, but it works well as a "Deep-Sky" filter.

You are right, its well worth having one in your collection not just the only one ! Clear Skies !

• rkelley8493 likes this

#20 Euclid's Brother

Euclid's Brother

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

I got the 2" Lumicon UHC Gen 3 today from B&H photo. And it doesn't fit my 2" Meade Series 5000 20mm eye piece. It's too small of diameter, the threads won't grab. frown.gif

No, you just are seeing the variation that makes filter makers realize the best they can do is to fit about 50% of eyepieces.

Do you think something like this would work for that EP?  Sensei 49-48mm Step-Down ring.

#21 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:26 PM

Do you think something like this would work for that EP? Sensei 49-48mm Step-Down ring.

No, but installing the filter in a new housing might work. New housings are available from scopestuff.com and others.
  • bmurphy495 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics