•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT115EDT Quick and Dirty Rosette in SHO

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:20 PM

I received my AT115EDT a few weeks ago and have been fiddling with it between clouds and snow.  The first one I received had an issue but Astronomics shipped out a replacement that same day!  Wow, talk about GREAT service!

The scope is exactly as described, excellent optics, great fit and finish.

My new camera is an ASI1600 w/ Chroma LRGB and 3nm Sii, Ha, and Oiii.

My guide rig is an AT65EDQ with an ASI224.

My mount is an iOptron CEM60 (non-EC) with which I am thrilled, always below 0.5 RMS.

iOptron internal iPolar for polar alignment.

Acquisition software is N.I.N.A. and I am always amazed at how robust it is.  It can get wonky at times but I always run the nightly build so I can't blame the software.

PHD2 and iOptron Commander.

PI and PS for processing.  This image was preprocessed in PI with the new WBPP with darks, flats and dark flats but no bias frames.

The image is about 3 hours of data, one in each channel.

The H channel has fairly good focus but the S and O are off.  I have not had great luck with the autofocus in N.I.N.A. but I am sure that is user error/learning curve coupled with unsteady air whenever I have tried to measure and configure filter offsets.

My image train has some tilt in it and that is due to the fact that I am hanging the camera, EFW, and EAF off the 2" compression ring EP holder and not a more robust direct threaded connection to the focuser.  My TSFlat2 from Teleskop Service requires 110mm of backfocus and that seriously messes with the ability to do a direct threaded couple.  I love the flatness of the field it produces but I may end up going with the AT2FF as that only requires 55mm of backfocus and that will allow for a direct threaded connection to the focuser.

In any event this my first narrow band image EVER so I am stoked that I got anything that approximates what more experienced imagers produce.

Steady air,

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette SHO copy.jpg

Edited by santafe retiree, 14 February 2020 - 09:40 PM.

• John Miele, eros312, elmiko and 10 others like this

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Mariner 2

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

Pretty Nice for Quick & Dirty :)

• santafe retiree likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

If you have dark flats, you don't need bias.  Just need to use the right workflow for dark flats.

#4 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

If you have dark flats, you don't need bias.  Just need to use the right workflow for dark flats.

Yup, that is why I do it that way -- plus folks have said that the 1600 does not do well with bias frames - I have no knowledge one way or the other but since NINA makes taking flats and dark flats so easy, why not -- the results speak for themselves

#5 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Vostok 1

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

Great picture for your first one!  Definitely something to be proud of.  And, double +1 for the AT115EDT.  I'm mainly visual, with minor EAA, with mine, but I am very pleased with mine.  At a star party recently several of us had the Double Cluster on display and people would say that it looked best in my scope. laugh.gif

#6 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:04 PM

Looks great Tom!

#7 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:11 PM

Looks great Tom!

Thanks John -- how is your TS130 working out?

#8 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Not too good...my lens cell is probably arriving back in Germany today...it's a long story better told in other threads. Still hoping for a good outcome however!

#9 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

Not too good...my lens cell is probably arriving back in Germany today...it's a long story better told in other threads. Still hoping for a good outcome however!

Sorry to hear that.  But the guys at TS seem to be on their game so I am keeping good thoughts for you -- and now back to our regularly scheduled program

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics