•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Modifying Canon SL1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crunchygranola

crunchygranola

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

I've been on the fence a while about modifying my Canon SL1 for Ha.

Has anyone ever done it to to this particular camera? Any tips or links to look at for doing this?

I found a pretty decent tutorial to do it: https://www.lifepixe...ersion-tutorial
But is it completely necessary to install some kind of replacement filter?

Edit: Some more info. I'm shooting from a bortle 6 area with primarily LED street lights. I would be pairing the DSLR with an IDAS D2 light pollution filter, and I'm also thinking of getting some more granular narrow band filters.

Edited by crunchygranola, 14 February 2020 - 09:00 PM.

#2 StarBurger

StarBurger

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:42 PM

Not quite the same but I modified an old Canon XS and removed all the filters ahead of the sensor( full spectrum mod).

Once you do this mod then the choice is yours whether you install a clip in filter in the camera itself or place whatever filter you need in the optical train ahead of  the camera sensor.

My choice was to put a 2" Baader  Moon and sky glow filter  in front of the camera to knock down the UV (reducing blue star bloat  and sodium light pollution) and still transmitting the H a. to it's max.

The full spectrum mod leaves room for any filter you wish to place in front .

Then you can experiment with IR/UV /CLS or whatever filter knowing the camera is in its native raw, naked  state. 

#3 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:28 AM

Mod info here...; should be relevant. Mod types here.... Regards

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:56 AM

If you do not install some type of glass filter ahead of the sensor, the image will focus in a different plane and camera lenses may not reach infinity; autofocus certainly won't work.  For use with a telescope, that might not be a problem.

#5 crunchygranola

crunchygranola

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

Removed just the LPF-2 tonight following the lifepixel tutorial.  Broke a little bit of plastic on the inside, stripped a couple screws but all in all the camera seems working fine once reassembled.  I'm going to take a few quick untracked shots tonight and see how it goes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics