•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to deep sky imaging..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Rea

Kevin Rea

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lancaster California USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:24 PM

Hi guys, I have a C8 Celestron with a 6.3 reducer. Could someone let me know with a photo or something what I would  bel looking at if I have the Orion nebula in view?

Just hard to figure out if I'm pointing to the right area or not.

Thanks,

Kevin Rea Lancaster, California USA

#2 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

Uhh, Couple of questions:

Your Post is entitled “New to Deep Sky imaging.” But your asking us how something “looks”. So I’m assuming you’re pointed at the Orion Nebula and want to know what it looks like visually  through your scope?

What kind of eyepiece are you using if you’re looking through the scope?

”Imaging” here typically means your taking some sort of electronic assisted image with a CCD camera or other device.

Answers to these questions will help others help you. 

In general, the Orion Nebula through a scope visually looks like this, but it largely depends on field of view and magnification: : https://images.app.g...iFU5YgzsLuMHex8

Kevin

Edited to add the word “visually” in two places for clarity. 

Edited by Knasal, 15 February 2020 - 01:10 AM.

#3 rkinnett

rkinnett

Ranger 4

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:03 PM

Use the telescope simulator on Telescopius.  You can do the same in most planetarium software, such as Stellarium.

#4 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:18 PM

I took some guesses about your setup (you should edit your signature showing what all you have, makes answering easier) I used a program called Stellarium, added your telescope and what I think is an average eyepiece. It's 26mm focal length, 60° field of view. The eyepiece will hugely affect the field of view, so this may be far off from what you actually are seeing. Also I live in a medium sized city, and I would say this view is far better than what I get from my place. Out at a dark location, the view is much better. Sometimes I can make out some green in the nebula, but no red.

Untitled.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics