•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What OS to install on your new AMD Ryzen Threadripper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

Here is a comparison between Windows 10 and Linux and how they scale up from 16 to 128 threads.  Interesting review and it clearly shows that linux spanks Windows for using all of your motherboard/cpus.  

This is a great reason to use Linux for your astronomy process work. Pixinsight has been shown to really take Linux and run.

https://www.phoronix...ows-linux&num=1

• Dan Finnerty likes this

#2 Ishtim

Ishtim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

Linux for sure, but If I can afford a Threadripper to run PI, I'd dual or even tri boot OSes to cover all bases.

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:12 PM

I read the comparison at the provided link and it is obvious to me, that if you are comfortable using LINUX (I am not) then that is the OS to use.

But Ishtim's recommendation of multiple OSes bears heeding to as some stuff won't work on LINUX.

• psandelle and jdupton like this

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:48 PM

Run a VMware workstation on host OS (Linux) and any guest OS (such as Windows.)

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:16 AM

A different take.  Trying to get fancy here with dual booting, virtual machines, etc. is risking trouble.  It can get really bad, read the whole thread referenced at the end of this.

I built a PI processing machine with a Threadripper.  The system was clean and new.  I loaded Ubuntu 18.04LTS, as mainstream as it gets.  Then PI.  And I was immediately processing.  My PI benchmark was near the top of the charts.  Simple has considerable virtue.  _Especially_ if this is your first Linux experience.

I have another machine I use for Windows 10, and general work.  The only other thing I do on the PI machine is PI, Internet browsing/downloading PI updates and other things relevant to PI processing.

You _really_ don't want to go here.  This guy has spent many frustrating hours on this, and still isn't processing.  As I said there, he might more profitably have just used Windows.  There's no real advantage to using one Linux distro over another, once you're running PI, it _really_ doesn't matter.

https://www.cloudyni...nix-to-install/

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 February 2020 - 12:16 AM.

#6 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Viking 1

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:37 AM

I'm that guy. I was about to log in to my thread to report success at last, but I saw this thread first and just could not not read it. I had some serious lessons to learn and I'm still walking on egg shells, but I got PI installed and ran my first benchmark with it. Using the Mint 19.3 distribution, and not letting myself do any software updates. That seems to be the kiss of death for this motherboard/chipset. I'll report status and benchmarks on the original thread.

Bob is right that as far as PI is concerned, I'm better off just running PI in windows. But there are other "benefits" to fighting this install. I've learned a lot installing linux, starting to learn to operate linux and fighting through the intricacies of the problems I'm having is very very frustrating educational.

So it can be done. The biggest problem for me is the Aorus Xtreme motherboard being so  new, there are still s/w or driver incompatibilities. Your mileage may vary depending on what MB you got for your system.

(and if you hear an earth-shattering scream tonight, its just me suffering another failed reboot)

Edited by Dan Finnerty, 15 February 2020 - 12:45 AM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics