•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dual imaging with a tandem bar and aiming device. Which side do you OAG?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:54 AM

So ive got two 735mm APO triplets and use an ADM aiming device which is the MAX HD guider.   OAG goes on which side?  OAG the aiming device or the side that has no aiming device.   Or does it even matter??   If the Max guider moves does the OAG go there or on the side that has no device.?

Attached Thumbnails

• The night of M33 night 3 for CN.jpg

#2 mdavister

mdavister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:45 AM

I would approach this in two possible ways:

1. Use a separate guide scope, make sure all scopes are rigidly mounted to ensure no flexure (or at least as little as possible). Keeping the dovetail bars as short as possible and the scopes as close together as possible.
  2. If one scope has a mono camera and the other has a OSC, I would mount the OAG on the scope with the mono camera.

I have a much smaller dual setup in the works with 2x 80mm APO's, my plan is to have a separate guidescope mounted in the middle.  My backup plan is to install a top plate on the rings to make a more rigid "box" and mount the guide scope to that. I haven't put it all together yet, so I can't say how it will work.

• skycamper and psandelle like this

#3 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:19 PM

Mitch,

I cant go back to a guidescope, the OAG is actually working really well.   In addition, both scopes have filter wheels and so one will be dedicated to LRGB and the other mono or narrowband.   Im actually surprised Ive not had more responses to this question.  But it would make sense to mount a OSC to the side that might flex more due to having to blur that side during processing.  Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the input.

Abraham

#4 mdavister

mdavister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

Mitch,

I cant go back to a guidescope, the OAG is actually working really well.   In addition, both scopes have filter wheels and so one will be dedicated to LRGB and the other mono or narrowband.   Im actually surprised Ive not had more responses to this question.  But it would make sense to mount a OSC to the side that might flex more due to having to blur that side during processing.  Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the input.

Abraham

I was thinking that you would want the OAG on the mono, due to it being higher resolution, while the OSC is just for color information. In your case, I would put the OAG on the mono/narrowband, again due to it needing higher guiding accuracy. This of course is with all other things being equal (system rigidity). It does look like a very nice setup! smile.gif

• skycamper likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics