•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which mount is the better choice?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 timbotrog

timbotrog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:49 AM

Hi all,

I've been into photography for a very long time and I've always enjoyed "looking up" at night.

I've done a few star trails before as well as trying my hand at some lunar imagery but I'm wanting to step up to the next level.

My gear consists of Nikon's D850, D700, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 macro, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport. I also have a Kenko 2x adaptor that actually works ok but can kill the a lens speed.

First of all I hate buying equipment to either quickly grow out of it or to need to upgrade it, hence why I'm looking at either the Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro or AZEQ6 GT mount.

I fully understand the technical difference the between the two but what I don't understand is would I be better off with the AZEQ6 GT for lunar tracking or will the EQ6-R Pro be suffice?

To start with the Sigma 150-600 Sport would be my optic.

On a slightly side note could I use the AZEQ6 GT in the ALT AZ mode as a "camera rotator" for some day/night panning time lapse imagery?

TIA for your advice.

Cheers

Tim

#2 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:16 AM

Hi all,

I've been into photography for a very long time and I've always enjoyed "looking up" at night.

I've done a few star trails before as well as trying my hand at some lunar imagery but I'm wanting to step up to the next level.

My gear consists of Nikon's D850, D700, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 macro, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport. I also have a Kenko 2x adaptor that actually works ok but can kill the a lens speed.

First of all I hate buying equipment to either quickly grow out of it or to need to upgrade it, hence why I'm looking at either the Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro or AZEQ6 GT mount.

I fully understand the technical difference the between the two but what I don't understand is would I be better off with the AZEQ6 GT for lunar tracking or will the EQ6-R Pro be suffice?

On a slightly side note could I use the AZEQ6 GT in the ALT AZ mode as a "camera rotator" for some day/night panning time lapse imagery?

TIA for your advice.

Cheers

Tim

When i started in 2017 AZ-EQ6 was the best mount in the EQ6 family, and there was EQ6-R, or EQ6 pro not sure, but Skywatcher did upgrade their EQ6-R to EQ6-R Pro which became popular, but even if that was available back then i went with AZ-EQ6 simply because i wanted both, EQ and AZ/ALT modes, and i never regret it really, happy with my decision and it is still running string up to date, so if you want to go with AZ mode then AZ-EQ6 is the way to go, and don't worry about all performance of EQ6-R Pro, AZ-EQ6 will give you that.

Good luck!

• timbotrog likes this

#3 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

get the EQ6-R Pro. it can track in sideral & lunar  modes. as you progress you may never need to get  another mount

Edited by nimitz69, 15 February 2020 - 08:48 AM.

• Francopoli, PirateMike, ThatsMyCoffee and 1 other like this

#4 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:02 AM

Just for your information to be clear, AZ-EQ6 also has tracking modes as Sidereal and Lunar and Solar and something else i can't remember.

• timbotrog likes this

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:12 AM

Hi all,

TIA for your advice.

Cheers

Tim

The performance of the two mounts is similar (many of the internal parts are almost certainly the same), both have lunar tracking rates.  Either would be a good choice for astrophotography.  I don't know about using alt az mode for terrestrial.

Using a 2X converter is a terrestrial thing.  In astrophotography any theoretical gain in resolution (which may not happen, other factors may intervene) is more than outweighed by the loss in speed.  In astrophotography people go the other way, often using 0.8X converters, "reducers".  They trade some focal length for more speed.  I recently bought a C8 RASA, 400mm, F2.  It's a tricky scope to use, because of the very limited depth of field, which causes issues with incredibly small levels of tilt, but it does an amazing job of imaging in my light polluted sky.

Prime lenses or telescopes are better than imaging with zoom lenses.  Zooms have too many elements trying to do too many things, causing aberrations and loss of light; are often slower than primes.  Telescopes can be optimized for infinity focus.

Bottom line.  The terrible signal to noise ratio in astrophotography changes a lot of things, often in unintuitive ways.

This book is really useful.  The cover picture was taken with a camera lens (no doubt a prime).

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 February 2020 - 10:20 AM.

• arrowspace90 and timbotrog like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics