•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar Hand Controller–WRONG COORDINATES

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mbolen

mbolen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Hello, I recently tried to image the Witch Head Nebula. My setup isn’t complicated—no computer for plate solving or guiding. I use the hand controller to polar align, and use Precise Go-to to center my object for shooting. I recently found that the location for NGC 1909 (Which Head Nebula) is not correct in the database. It points to the following location—RA: 05h 25’ 29” DEC: -08° 14’ 10”, while Witch Head is actually at this location: RA: 05h 05’ 53” DEC: -07° 05’ 14”. My question is how many other objects have the wrong coordinates? Is this a common occurrence? I haven’t had trouble with any other object. Is there a way to report the error? I wasted several clear nights before I figured this out!

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

Have you tried setting ngc 1909 instead .

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

The coordinates are I believe updated every year, even more often if I read Skysafari right - probably don't however.

Skysafari says: RA 05  07  51.64, Dec: -07 11 30.3, with an apparent date of 2020.1

The "standard" time to determine RA+Dec is the moment of the Spring Equinox.

Which this year is: Friday, 20 March 2020, 03:49 UTC

Changes are caused by our egg shaped orbit and precession. So basically each year things move and the Celestron is likely old data. A fairly common standard is 2000. So you are likely several years out of date.

I suppose if it has a reasonable size then where do you take the measurement at - center, left, right.

Need to stop assumng all that you read on the handset is utterly correct. Also who's data was used? Bet there are a few RA+Dec data sets around and likely all a little different.

Wiki says RA: 05 02 00 and Dec: -7 54 0

That is 3 and each different.

Edited by sg6, 15 February 2020 - 05:15 PM.

#4 mbolen

mbolen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

A few things:
(1)The “Witch Head Nebula” wasn’t there, so I only used NGC 1909 to slew to it.
(2) My hand controller hasn’t been updated for a while, but I have been using this method for both observing and astrophotography for several years now and have never had an issue like this before. Further, I was able to successfully slew to a bunch of different objects that same night. Just not NGC 1909.
(3) After using the coordinates I found on telescopious.com, I was able to hit the target dead on.

Edited by mbolen, 15 February 2020 - 05:43 PM.

#5 dcollier

dcollier

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

http://simbad.u-stra...Ident=NGC 1909

This is the definitive source, also Celestron HCs Use JNow coordinates.  So precessed coordinates would be 05h 02' 59"  -7 52' 19" for today.   This also checks in Stellarium. 

-Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics