•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for "motherload" of annotated spectrograms?

imaging EAA beginner observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JoeVanGeaux

JoeVanGeaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SETX

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:07 PM

Greetings!

I have unsuccessfully searched for some images of annotated spectrograms (of both raw spectrum and "processed" graphics) but found only one in the "Images" section on CN.  Of course, there are some that show up within various threads, but those I just stumble upon. Those that do appear in discussion threads are extremely helpful though not necessarily with any helpful "Topic Tag" and, therefore, very hard to find using the search bar.  (I'm not sure there is a useful tag for them, anyway.)

Maybe, I'm just not searching correctly?

Is there a source, out there, of example spectrograms that are amply annotated? Hopefully, annotated in 'simpler English' (lol), such that a beginner can start to pick up some of the jargon!

Regards,

Joe

#2 robin_astro

robin_astro

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

Not an on line source but Richard Walker's "Spectral Atlas for Amateur Astronomers" is excellent for this 

https://www.amazon.c...l/dp/1107165903

Unfortunately the excerpts given there though do not do it justice. The hundreds of annotated spectra are things of beauty

EDIT: Google books has some example pages showing the quality of the spectra

https://books.google...id=AWlevgAACAAJ

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro, 16 February 2020 - 09:11 PM.

• JoeVanGeaux and Simcal like this

#3 JoeVanGeaux

JoeVanGeaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SETX

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:32 PM

Thanks, Robin.  A bit pricey for my current level of understanding but it does look like it could be exceptionally useful in the future.

Joe

#4 Jamey L Jenkins

Jamey L Jenkins

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

This is the link to Jim Ferreira's Flickr album of annotated spectrograms. I consult his work for comparison to identify my own work. 

https://www.flickr.c...157711351262521

• JoeVanGeaux likes this

#5 giorgio_ne

giorgio_ne

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London, England

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

I’m not sure if it you’re interested in learning Python but it would open to you one of the biggest archives of high resolution spectra data that are available for free at ESO/UVES:

Astropy is a collection of software packages written in Python and designed for use in astronomy.

How to download ESO data with Astropy

Analyzing UVES Spectroscopy with Astropy

It could be a fun project if you can dedicate some time to it. In this great internet age we live in the amount of free data and learning tools is simply phenomenal!

• JoeVanGeaux likes this

#6 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

Not an on line source but Richard Walker's "Spectral Atlas for Amateur Astronomers" is excellent for this 

https://www.amazon.c...l/dp/1107165903

Unfortunately the excerpts given there though do not do it justice. The hundreds of annotated spectra are things of beauty

This is a great book. A must-have for anyone wanting to get into spectroscopy

• JoeVanGeaux and Simcal like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging, EAA, beginner, observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics