•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Triple Nickle - Restore & More

ATM classic equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#51 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:23 PM

BIF:  Here's how a previous owner solved the broken focuser pinion problem...

ATM 5 RFT A02.jpg

He added a top to a Meade 2" mirror diagonal that works like a helical fine focuser (sorta like my Baader diagonal), and would slide the diagonal's long chrome tube in/out for coarse focus.

Compare the original big plastic knobs with the Brandon / Orion / Unitron semi-APO 80mm RFTs units -- these 2" focusers weren't cheap back in the day!

IIRC, Chuck posted that University Optics also sold these focusers.  And, that it wasn't uncommon for the brass pinion gear to break or come loose -- wonder if it used a tiny grub screw to hold it in place...

If I had any kind of welding skills, I'd re-attach that small black focus lock knob assembly.

My Dakin 4 has a similar Japan-made 2" focuser, but with a flat base, and no lock knob:

Dakin 4 - Restore S99 (Focuser Close Up).jpg

Both have brass helical-cut racks.  The Dakin's has slightly finer teeth -- a good thing, since I do use it often for high-power views.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 23 March 2020 - 06:31 PM.

#52 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

If I had any kind of welding skills, I'd re-attach that small black focus lock knob assembly.

Perhaps you can attach it with JB Weld. I've had some great results with it.

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, classic, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics