•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Process my data (Iris Nebula)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TXLS99

TXLS99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:02 PM

Hello

I've been a long time visitor here and have gathered a wealth of information. Its been about a year since I started my journey into astrophotography. A few months ago I captured data from the Iris Nebula. Stacking was done with Deep Sky Stacker and processing with Pixinsight. I'm still learning pixinsight, and it took me 3 attempts to produce the image below. 

The Iris nebula is one of my favorite targets. I'm pretty satisfied with the image I produced with my limited experience, but I would enjoy seeing a more experienced person take a crack at it, and see what I have missed.

Equipment: William Optics Z 103 with .8 reducer on Advanced VX mount, Canon 6D unmodified, no guiding, 90sec exposures 3200iso  Bortle 4

Stacked TIF File(88 Lights, 30 Dark, 40 Bias, 40 Flat) https://1drv.ms/u/s!...fnwyth?e=LPkZVB

IRIS.jpg

Edited by TXLS99, 16 February 2020 - 03:26 PM.

• okiedrifter and RudiVM like this

#2 rgreenberg2000

rgreenberg2000

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo County

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the practice file!  Here's my attempt at tweaking your .tif file in PI:

49544005463_19e8693f34_c.jpg

Keep shooting!  That's a really nice set of data on that target.

Rich

Edited by rgreenberg2000, 16 February 2020 - 03:49 PM.

• RudiVM likes this

#3 TXLS99

TXLS99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM

You are welcome Rich and Thank you!

Looks good, its such a challenge balancing the dust and core area of the nebula, but thats what I love about this target

Edited by TXLS99, 16 February 2020 - 03:56 PM.

#4 rgreenberg2000

rgreenberg2000

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo County

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:12 PM

I'm not super familiar with this target, so if I processed it again, I'd probably not crop it quite as far, kinda lost some of the surrounding character (your crop is better.)  Looking at it more, I clipped a bit too much background.  Too aggressive with the black point.

R

• RudiVM likes this

#5 TXLS99

TXLS99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:27 PM

Its a tricky one for sure, took me 3 tries to get that result. I actually tried it again 2 more times after that, with some new tricks that I learned, and I am unable to duplicate the same quality lol.  

#6 Acer

Acer

Viking 1

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

Here's what I got with a quick 10 minute edit.  

First I used Astro Pixel Processor to stretch the TIFF image, then applied "light pollution filter" to get rid of the gradient.

In photoshop I adjusted the colors, then saved that image for the stars.  I then deleted the stars, did a fast cleanup and used the Nik Color Effects plugin to bring out more detail in the gasses and dust.

I then added a layer with the star data and overlayed it on the dust/gas data for the final image.  

Iris.jpg

Edited by Acer, 16 February 2020 - 05:07 PM.

• Scott Mitchell, Francopoli, bobharmony and 4 others like this

#7 TXLS99

TXLS99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

Here's what I got with a quick 10 minute edit.  

First I used Astro Pixel Processor to stretch the TIFF image, then applied "light pollution filter" to get rid of the gradient.

In photoshop I adjusted the colors, then saved that image for the stars.  I then deleted the stars, did a fast cleanup and used the Nik Color Effects plugin to bring out more detail in the gasses and dust.

I then added a layer with the star data and overlayed it on the dust/gas data for the final image.  

Wow...That looks great for such a quick process....it definitely shows how much dust I was missing!   

#8 Acer

Acer

Viking 1

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

Wow...That looks great for such a quick process....it definitely shows how much dust I was missing!   

Thanks.  That is one reason I am still sticking with Photoshop.  I know it well (but still find little tricks here and there).  I just don't think I can get the same with PixInsight with no use of layers.  

I did download PixInsight once, but I was new in Astrophotography, so I wasted my free demo. 

#9 TXLS99

TXLS99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:52 PM

I'm not super familiar with this target, so if I processed it again, I'd probably not crop it quite as far, kinda lost some of the surrounding character (your crop is better.)  Looking at it more, I clipped a bit too much background.  Too aggressive with the black point.

R

I am guilty of it too. I always want my black too black. Its hard to resist at times, I have to remind myself to back off sometimes! 

#10 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:29 AM

Her's the best I can do in about a half hour with PI. Still a rookie. Really nice data.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• IRIS_TIF_FILE.jpg

Edited by Cfreerksen, 17 February 2020 - 12:30 AM.

• Francopoli, Swordfishy, TXLS99 and 1 other like this

#11 TXLS99

TXLS99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

Her's the best I can do in about a half hour with PI. Still a rookie. Really nice data.

Chris

Thanks for taking the time and thanks for the compliment on the data, your final product looks great!  

#12 George Simon

George Simon

Viking 1

• Loc: Chesnee, SC

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:40 PM

I gave your data a quick processing with StarTools (with some help from StarNet and GIMP). As you can see, there's plenty of dust in your image. I'm pretty sure that more processing could be done to improve the final product, but to my eye, it looks pretty good as is. Nice acquisition!

IRIS PROCESSED 2.jpeg

• TXLS99 and RudiVM like this

#13 dangarnett

dangarnett

Explorer 1

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:40 PM

Here is my processing. It was quite tough to pull out that faint dust and still keep the noise at bay!

https://i.imgur.com/sCTNqOe.jpg

sCTNqOeh.jpg

QroG8Lpm.png

1, 2 : ran ABE twice to remove some harsh gradients from the left side. 

3, 4 : Stretched the image

5 : Reduced Stars ( I pulled luminance before this and ran a heavy noise reduction before pulling a star mask to get all the stars better into a mask) 

6 : I made a starless image from the heavy noise reduced Lum, and used this as a mask to curves adjust just the dust up  (used Morphological Transform a bunch to make starless) 

7 : Noise reduction on lightness

8 : Another stretch tweak with HT

9 : Saturation boost with star mask applied to bring up star color

10 : separated file into LRGB and ran MMT and ACDNR on each R G B for chromanance noise reduction

11 : Recombined with LRGB Comb. 

12 : Ran SCNR

13 : Final saturation adjustment

14 + Did final crops and tweaks in Lightroom. 

Cheers

-Danny

• Cfreerksen, TXLS99 and RudiVM like this

#14 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

Here is my processing. It was quite tough to pull out that faint dust and still keep the noise at bay!

sCTNqOeh.jpg

QroG8Lpm.png

5 : Reduced Stars ( I pulled luminance before this and ran a heavy noise reduction before pulling a star mask to get all the stars better into a mask) 

6 : I made a starless image from the heavy noise reduced Lum, and used this as a mask to curves adjust just the dust up  (used Morphological Transform a bunch to make starless) 

10 : separated file into LRGB and ran MMT and ACDNR on each R G B for chromanance noise reduction

Cheers

-Danny

I like how you pulled up the dust. Kinda blew out the core though.

Chris

#15 TXLS99

TXLS99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:52 PM

sCTNqOeh.jpg

QroG8Lpm.png

Cheers

-Danny

Wow...just amazing how much dust I actually caught. I thought I would have had to double my acquisition time to get that much dust. This shows me that the equipment is doing its job, I just need to do my job with better processing lol.gif   Thanks for posting your workflow, that helps a noob like me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics