•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

battery powered mini pc Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shurik

shurik

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

As the title suggests I'm looking for  a battery powered (internally) mini pc or compute stick running Windows 7

Has anybody seen any examples!  or knows if it is for sale ? or  if Windows 10 can be wiped out and Windows 7 installed on any existing models?

Thanks, Alex

Edited by shurik, 17 February 2020 - 01:40 AM.

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

I haven't seen any for sale with Windows7 on them, and I honestly don't know if you can install Windows7 on one, since they all use newer hardware and are designed with Windows10/Linux in mind.  

If you depend absolutely (and not just preference) on software that must use Windows7, things are going to get harder and harder...

• Steve Cox likes this

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:31 AM

What do you mean by "battery powered"?  Do you mean internal or external power?  12VDC?

Windows 7 should not be an issue on a mini PC but I don't know about a compute stick.

Edited by EFT, 17 February 2020 - 12:49 PM.

#4 shurik

shurik

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:39 AM

Internally powered , Win 7 and able to feed the power to the accessories.

Something like pegassus but at affordable price. 

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:51 PM

The Pegasus doesn't have a computer and I know of no internal battery powered Windows PC's.  The Pegasus products are power and communications distribution hubs in regard to what you seem to be thinking.  I'm not sure what kind of power you are looking for.  USB power or 12VDC power.  

#6 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Viking 1

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

Well, any laptop is an internally-powered PC. But using that power to power other devices is self-defeating.

Alex, what accessories do you want to power? What are their power requirements? How long do you intend to operate between recharges? Consider how large a laptop battery is, and that is just to power the laptop. You would drain the laptop battery in short order if you used it to power both the PC and external devices. A mini-PC or compute stick would use less power, but an “internal” battery would utterly dominate the size and mass of such a device.

There is a reason people use external batteries to power their rigs. Current technology does not yet have such small batteries, even Lithium.

If you were to list the accessories you wish to power (and their operating voltages), people could help you estimate your total power usage. With that information, you could determine what size battery you needed to last over the desired operating interval. This would quickly show the unfeasibility of using a small pc to power itself and your accessories.

Edited by Dan Finnerty, 17 February 2020 - 01:21 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#7 catalogman

catalogman

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

There are a few Win7 mini-PC's and computer sticks on eBay; they're not in stores because Win7 is

technically obsolete.

Installing Win7 on a Win10 mini-PC or computer stick wouldn't work unless you had the drivers that

the device needs to run Win7.

--catalogman

#8 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

Win7 on newer* Intel CPU/SoC and Intel chipset will be a major issue.  You have to find high percentage of the missing software modules and then inject them into the installation media to make installation and "boot into Win7" possible.

After this first step, you'll have to find the rest of missing software modules to get all the computer functionalities back.

My key point is: MS did not do any of the back-porting stuff and intentionally not doing that to get people moving off the W7.

Another firm seems to be also benefiting.  I'll let you guess.

*newer: it happens to coincide the same period mini-PCs were just started introduced into the market

Intel did the abrupt cut-off!

#9 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

If you have to use Win7, you may be stuck.  There are a lot of refurbished Point Of Sale computers on the market for cheap but it would be tough to run from a battery.

The old Atom based Netbooks might be another option, about as close as I can think of.

Otherwise, have you considered Linux?  I have and ACEPC T-11 that will run off of 5v (off of 12v with a DC-DC converter) and drays less than 10W.  Comes with Win10, mine is dual boot...

#10 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:29 AM

ATOM CPU does not support W7.

#11 astrohamp

astrohamp

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

My Asus EeePC 1000He came XP and I was able to put MS Win7 Home Premium 32bit on it.

Been my back up astro computer for over a decade.  Even got it to run SharpCap 3.1 and ASCOM platform 6.

I do have a vague memory of it being a task to set up at the time.

#12 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

ATOM CPU does not support W7.

I'm sure I had Win-7 on a netbook with an early Atom.  May have been "Windows 7 Starter".

#13 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:24 PM

Sorry I did not state it correctly, the first gen ATOM (N2xx and N2xxx series) does support W7.

They are mainly for nettop 11" or smaller and mow RAM and system drive size.

The more popular ATOM and finally catching up is BayTrail family (Z serious) and no longer supports Win 7.

The Intel main stream Core CPU stopped supporting W7 after ix-6yyy, say i7-6700, CPUs.

#14 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:09 PM

Sorry I did not state it correctly, the first gen ATOM (N2xx and N2xxx series) does support W7.

They are mainly for nettop 11" or smaller and mow RAM and system drive size.

The more popular ATOM and finally catching up is BayTrail family (Z serious) and no longer supports Win 7.

The Intel main stream Core CPU stopped supporting W7 after ix-6yyy, say i7-6700, CPUs.

Configurations are working against the OP.  I've stated in other threads that I really don't want to use Windows 10 for hardware control and am moving that function to Linux.  Data reduction is another topic and may stay with Windows unless there is a specific piece of SW that need Linux.  I have the small Atom with Linux for the function the OP is describing.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics