•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Phd2 says I keep switching cameras and can’t use old calibration data

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

I have two cameras from zwo, asi1600 for imaging and asi174 for guiding. I’ve created profiles in Phds2 for the 174 where I’ve done dark frames, calibrated with my mount and tested it successfully. The camera in phd2 is recognized as asi camera 2 while my imaging camera in SGP is selected as asi camera 1.

That being said, whenever phd2 starts during an imaging sequence, I get an error that says I shouldn’t change cameras or pixel scales because it can’t use saved data. Sorry I don’t have exact wording but does anyone know why and if it’s related to having two ASI cameras?

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

joelin,

I am not positive but I think this could be caused by a mismatch between the profile used by PHD2 and the profile you have told PHD2 to use via SGP. Check your SGP profile under the Auto Guide Tab and make sure the PHD2 settings match. (Click settings in SGP Auto Guide Equipment profile and look at the entry for PHD2 Equipment Profiles. That should match the equipment Profile Name seen in PHD2 when you press the Connect Equipment button.)

If both of the above are set to the same profile name, there is a very slight chance that the two programs are running with different execution permissions. Make sure they are both set up the same. If one program is running in Administrator Mode and the other in User Mode, you could see some odd things happening from time to time.

John

• Dereksc likes this

#3 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:56 PM

joelin,

I am not positive but I think this could be caused by a mismatch between the profile used by PHD2 and the profile you have told PHD2 to use via SGP. Check your SGP profile under the Auto Guide Tab and make sure the PHD2 settings match. (Click settings in SGP Auto Guide Equipment profile and look at the entry for PHD2 Equipment Profiles. That should match the equipment Profile Name seen in PHD2 when you press the Connect Equipment button.)

If both of the above are set to the same profile name, there is a very slight chance that the two programs are running with different execution permissions. Make sure they are both set up the same. If one program is running in Administrator Mode and the other in User Mode, you could see some odd things happening from time to time.

John

Hmm I tried to eliminate that risk by only having one profile in a fresh install of phd2.

I only have one user account on this laptop, would that cause the admin problem you mentioned?

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:01 PM

Post this problem on the PHD2 Developers site by going to the PHD2 site and select HELP.

#5 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:19 PM

joelin,

Hmm I tried to eliminate that risk by only having one profile in a fresh install of phd2.

I only have one user account on this laptop, would that cause the admin problem you mentioned?

You only need one login account to have the problem.

Check out the privilege level aspect by navigating to the PHD2 executable file first. Right click on the file and select Properties. Select the Compatibility Tab. Look to see if the Run as Administrator is checked in the Privilege level section. Cancel out of the Properties dialog. Now, go find the SGP executable file and do the same. Ideally both programs will have Administrator privilege level the same. This should usually be unchecked on both. If they are different, then oddball problems can pop up at times.

John

• Dynan likes this

#6 OhmEye

OhmEye

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:58 AM

A long shot, but are the USB ports changing at all? I have had my cameras swap between primary and guide when I plug things in different ports. Normally I have everything connected the same way but on occasions when I've recables and ports/hubs change the device order of the cameras changes in the ASCOM driver and cameras 1/2 swap numbering.

• Biggen likes this

#7 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

• Loc: PCB, FL

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

A long shot, but are the USB ports changing at all? I have had my cameras swap between primary and guide when I plug things in different ports. Normally I have everything connected the same way but on occasions when I've recables and ports/hubs change the device order of the cameras changes in the ASCOM driver and cameras 1/2 swap numbering.

Yup I’ve had this happen. Moving USB ports around causes issues.

#8 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

Thats likely to have happened in my case.....as now I think I need to label which cable goes where...I.e. left side port usb near front 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics